Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: These goggone Garmin guyz

mountainborn Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer_Veazey

Here is the proof:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Geezer, that gps is older than the geocacher holding it !
    No doubt it has found many a geocache, but the number of sattelites it can aquire is limited because of its age.
    That gps will not do the WAAS function.

mountainborn Guest
    Poppy said:
    1. Garmin 10 ft
    2. Garmin 10.2 ft
    3. Garmin 12.7 ft
    4. Garmin 13.6 ft
    5. Magellan 13.8 ft
    6. Garmin 13.9 ft
    7. Magellan 14.6 ft
    8. Garmin 14.75ft
    9. Garmin 15.4ft
    10. Garmin 15.8ft
    What your suspect statistics say is:
    Magellans #5 & #7 are within .8 of a foot of each other !
    Now that is consistency !
    Garmins vary widely up to 5.8 feet of each other !

Geezer_Veazey Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainborn
    Poppy said:
    1. Garmin 10 ft
    2. Garmin 10.2 ft
    3. Garmin 12.7 ft
    4. Garmin 13.6 ft
    5. Magellan 13.8 ft
    6. Garmin 13.9 ft
    7. Magellan 14.6 ft
    8. Garmin 14.75ft
    9. Garmin 15.4ft
    10. Garmin 15.8ft
    What your suspect statistics say is:
    Magellans #5 & #7 are within .8 of a foot of each other !
    Now that is consistency !
    Garmins vary widely up to 5.8 feet of each other !
    HEY! Take a look at Garmins #1 & #2. Within .2 of a foot of each other! Now that is consistency!

Don't be trying to confuse us by comparing apples and oranges (accuracy and consistency).

I guess there is something to be said for being wrong if you are consistently wrong.

mountainborn Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy
    Thanks for jumping in Tech_guy, i'll see if I can lead you off into deep water.
    That's fine. I'll have my Garmin with me to get back!
    >>>>>>>>>>>>
    Luckily all the search and rescue teams are carrying the choice of professionals, their Magellans will be able to bring you out.

OK my Garmin was #3 and it is a Garmin GPSMap 60c and I bought it for $350 over 2 years ago. OMG has a GPSMap 60csx and he was pretty close to the furthest away, (Sorry OMG I had to rub it in again)LOL. The top 4 garmins were within 3 feet of each other and an ammo can is what a foot and a half long so that would put a GARMIN within a foot and a half from the cache. In my book thats colse enough for me.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

OzarkMtnGhost Guest

GPS Accuracy

I was told that my good friend ARStickerdude, made a commit about my new Garmin 60Cx (the "x" means faster satellite acquisition, not better accuracy) and how the old one was more close. Thats true, his was closer, but we forget that the GPS is only half of the equation, the person operating the unit is the other part of the equation. So to defend my unit, I would have to say it was only good as I was on that day. It was still within 20 feet of the that high dollar trimble and thats nothing to sneeze at. Also, if I need to be right on top of a cache to find it, thats pretty bad, kinda takes the fun out of the game.

OMG, since when did you ever pay attention to what ASD had to say?
    I figure if we were within site of that stick, that was close enough. LOL

nonnipoppy Guest

Re: GPS Accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by OzarkMtnGhost
    I was told that my good friend ARStickerdude, made a commit about my new Garmin 60Cx (the "x" means faster satellite acquisition, not better accuracy) and how the old one was more close. Thats true, his was closer, but we forget that the GPS is only half of the equation, the person operating the unit is the other part of the equation. So to defend my unit, I would have to say it was only good as I was on that day. It was still within 20 feet of the that high dollar trimble and thats nothing to sneeze at. Also, if I need to be right on top of a cache to find it, thats pretty bad, kinda takes the fun out of the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbell72901
    Be careful here guys and keep your eye on the emeny. Do not allow him to divide and conquer.

Just be aware that General Custer is a slippery dude that constantly uses misdirection to confuse his opponents. (and that ain't to hard for some of us).

His motto seems to be "If you can't dazzle 'em with truth, then baffle 'em with B.S. :P :P

mountainborn Guest

Re: GPS Accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by nonnipoppy
    Quote Originally Posted by OzarkMtnGhost
    Quote Originally Posted by mbell72901
    Be careful here guys and keep your eye on the emeny. Do not allow him to divide and conquer.

Just be aware that General Custer is a slippery dude that constantly uses misdirection to confuse his opponents. (and that ain't to hard for some of us).

His motto seems to be "If you can't dazzle 'em with truth, then baffle 'em with B.S. :P :P
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    He , , , HE , ,. , HE . . . . ..
    We has met the enemy, . . . . and he is . . . . us !

What no one has mentioned here about the accuracy contest results is that ALL of the personal GPS units were off in the same direction from the "true" location. I find this consistent bias in the readings (to the west or northwest, if I recall) very curious. I would have expected that the personal GPS readings would have been located AROUND the "true" location - some to the south, some to the north, some to the east, and some to the west. Not so! I guess this means that neither Garmin NOR Magellan units are worth a flip! -- ORR

P.S. Sorry for the diversion from the philosophical musings about which is better - Ford or Chevy, Garmin or Magellan. You may return to battle.
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen