Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: These goggone Garmin guyz

mountainborn Guest
    Facts ? Facts !
    Man I sure hate to ruin a really good arguement with facts.

However the fact is:
    The Meridian GOLD GPS has the most detailed basemap of any handheld GPS on the market today. It's large 16 megabyte US database includes highways, major roads, parks, waterways, airports, cities and more. This is more than twice the detail of most handhelds on the market.

And they ( Magellan Gold ) are selling right now at the GPS Store for $139.00 !!
    OOps, I almost forgot, the E trex legend has only 8 mb of memory and sells for more money !
    Not only does the legend just have 8 mb of internal memory, it will only hold an additional 8 mb of memory.
    The Magellan gold has a SD card slot that can take up to 1 full giga byte !!

Wouldnt it be cool to place the whole North American continent topographic map on the SD card and have it available at the push of a button ?

mountainborn Guest
    All of this good natured poking of fun at each other points out a thing that is easy to overlook.
    This ain't about the equipment, no siree !
    It ain't about the equipment at all.
    Any given device may beat out all others one day and totaly fail the next.
    This sport of ours is all, I repeat, all, about the people !
    How well the people learn, understand and operate their respective devices.
    Those devices that get so much attention are not able to shake your hand or look you in the eye and say good job on that last cache !
    The Pettit Jean event would have been a failure if it wasn't for the input and handling of some great , tallented folks. That was one good time with my fellow geocachers, and the devices didn't make it that way, the people did.
    No matter how much fun poppy and I poke at each other, and please don't misunderstand, we enjoy it, we both know that it is the people , not the device that make this sport great !

Team_Pink Guest
    Thanks for jumping in Tech_guy, i'll see if I can lead you off into deep water.
    That's fine. I'll have my Garmin with me to get back!

Geezer_Veazey Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainborn
    Facts ? Facts !
    Man I sure hate to ruin a really good arguement with facts.
    I do to, but here goes:

Quote Originally Posted by mountainborn
    Wouldnt it be cool to place the whole North American continent topographic map on the SD card and have it available at the push of a button ?
    What good does it do to have the whole North American continent topographic map if it is inaccurate?
    I have a cache very near the peak of Chinquapin Mountain. Deezer was standing on the peak and noticed that his Magellan topographic lines showed him standing off down the side of the hill. We took a picture of it and sent it to Magellan but we never heard from them. Hmmm. I guess there was no explanation other than they are outright incorrect and they didn't want to admit to that.

Guess you'll have to trash your Magellan. Sorry about that. I have heard that it is quite tramatic when something you have believed so strongly all your life turns out to be not true. Normal reaction is to get defensive or perhaps start rationalizing or just joking away the situation. That's all right. We understand.

mountainborn Guest
    G_V said:
    Normal reaction is to get defensive or perhaps start rationalizing or just joking away the situation. That's all right. We understand.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    I wish I could think of something to say that would not fall into one of those categorys.
    I think that it is clear that you have had the last word in this !

Geezer_Veazey Guest

Here is the proof:

nonnipoppy Guest
    ***New News***New News*** New News*** New News***

Today in the GPS accuracy test at The Third Time Is The Charm we had almost 50 participants. The list of contenders even included a Lowrance.

The initial coords were gathered by a $30,000 Trimble GPSr that is accurate to within less than 1/2 inch.

The top ten finishers and there distance from the point were:

1. Garmin 10 ft
    2. Garmin 10.2 ft
    3. Garmin 12.7 ft
    4. Garmin 13.6 ft
    5. Magellan 13.8 ft
    6. Garmin 13.9 ft
    7. Magellan 14.6 ft
    8. Garmin 14.75ft
    9. Garmin 15.4ft
    10. Garmin 15.8ft

This set of statistics cleary show the Garmin superiority to all but the blind and those unable to accept cold hard fact.

BTW the antagonist was missed today...poppy

mountainborn Guest
    Ok, I am back from the Lake and I am ready to get back into the fray !
    Unless the modle of the GPS is listed those statistics have little meaning.
    Example:
    Garmin 60csx
    VS
    Magellan Gold
    This comparrison doesn't prove Garmin superiority.
    It only proves that Garmins latest technology will out perform a Magellan Gold that is obsolete, it isn't even manufactured anymore.
    Wal mart has almost sold out the remaining stocks of magellan golds at discounted prices.
    Many new to the sport chose a less expensive GPS to start learning on.

mountainborn Guest
    Garmin 60Csx
    Garmin part number: 010-00422-00

Suggested Retail Price:
    $535.70 U.S.D. (for domestic US market only)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Magellan eXplorist XL North America

Enlarge Image to
    View the Interactive Flash file!

Online Price : $399.99

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Both of these figures are from the respective web sites.
    Ok, garmin fanatics, let the raving begin !

mountainborn Guest
    OOps, I almost forgot:
    poppy said:
    BTW the antagonist was missed today...poppy

Thanks !
    The inlaws and outlaws have came to expect a fish fry the last weekend of the annual Greeson trip. I tried to duck out of it by keeping a low profile, so we could make the Clarksvill event. It didn't work.
    Poor butcherknife ! She cooked fish for hours.
    Poor mountainborn ! He had to put up with his favorite brother in law.
    Then the next day, clean up and break camp, go home and unpack stuff.