Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: These goggone Garmin guyz

mountainborn Guest
    There are those in this world that are content with second place. Those are the ones who will vaguely steer along their course in a stripped GEO, using a Garmin. They are content to meerly get close to the target.
    However, on the other hand there are those who strive for the best in performance. They may be seen geocaching on a regular basis with quality equipment. A Jeep and a Magellan ! They are the ones who always seem to be exactly on the target !
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Oh, geeze, I almost forgot to add some emoticons.
    Can I get away with "kind of clumping " them all at the end ?
    :P

Team_Pink Guest
    If I'm not mistaken, both first and second place prizes at Naturefish's Petit Jean Mountain get together went to an Etrex.

And that is all I have to say about that!

mountainborn Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy
    If I'm not mistaken, both first and second place prizes at Naturefish's Petit Jean Mountain get together went to an Etrex.

And that is all I have to say about that!
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Etrex ?
    Is that a new European unit ?
    Seems like I have herd of it some where before, but it has been quite some time .
    Maybe in a magazine article in the dentist office. The magazine was quite old and wrinkled.
    As I recall it was a smooth plastic housing that didn't have a proper rubber bumper on it for serious out of doors use.
    And it looked like it could slip from a sweaty hand and be damaged.
    It appeared to be somewhat fragile.
    I can't remember for sure, but seems like it may not have even been waterproof.
    Do they still make this type of unit ?
    Thanks for jumping in Tech_guy, i'll see if I can lead you off into deep water.

Being "new" to the sport I have no preconceptions about the difference between a magellan and a garmin, but I'd sure take my new 60Cx over the SporTrak Pro I started with.

The SporTrak often takes two or three minutes to get it's fix and seldom gets more than five satelites, the 60Cx will lock in under thirty seconds, usually has from eight to ten birds at a time and can even track while indoors. (depending on the roofing material/thickness)

Of course there are years of difference between the units' technology that count for more than the brand name, but I haven't heard of a Magellan that can match the 60Cx so far.

Geezer_Veazey Guest
    From Webster's Online Dictionary.
    Magellan

Main Entry: Ma·gel·lan
    Pronunciation: m&-'je-l&n, chiefly British -'ge-
    Function: biographical name
    Ferdinand circa 1480-1521 Portuguese Fernão de Magalhães Portuguese navigator & explorer; sailed from Spain to Philippines (where he died) around tip of So. America; ships continued to Spain in first circumnavigation of globe
    They got their name because they have a habit of dying!
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainborn
    Oh, geeze ! He's gona' call names !
    Watch it, there! You came real close to callin' names.

mountainborn Guest
    G_V said:
    Ferdinand circa 1480-1521 Portuguese Fernão de Magalhães Portuguese navigator & explorer; sailed from Spain to Philippines (where he died).
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    He succumbed to an intestinal parasite at the age of 41. Seems like the vicious intestinal parasite was pronounced Ga-rm-in.
    The initial symptoms were:
    Loss of orientation
    inability to tell up from down
    aimlessly wandering in circles
    continuous searching for who knows what
    >
    A serious malady indeed, every since serious navigators have avoided Garmin like a plague !
    >
    However those recreational users of Ga-rm-in seem to just be mildly effected.
    Geeze, using all these emoticons takes time !
    Oh, by the way Geezer, it just ain't right for you to try to put actual facts into this melee ! :P

Geezer_Veazey Guest
    Geeze, using all these emoticons takes time !
    There you go again, almost callin' names.

nonnipoppy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ar_kayaker
    Being "new" to the sport I have no preconceptions about the difference between a magellan and a garmin, but I'd sure take my new 60Cx over the SporTrak Pro I started with.

That adds yet another name to the phalanx of individuals that have arrived from over on the dark side.

To ar_kayaker: you prove that new and delusional are not synonymous.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer_Veazey

They got their name because they have a habit of dying!
    And so now general Custer what is your strategy? Perhaps blindly following the original plan? This is you opportunity to retreat while your scalp is still intact. A truly wise individual would just not answer and allow this thread to blend into obscurity and keep you from further embarassment.

mountainborn Guest
    nonnipoppy said:
    That adds yet another name to the phalanx of individuals that have arrived from over on the dark side.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Watch out now, he's startin to "OUT" those shipjumpers !
    The name calling has began !
    To be pointed out as one who has left the ranks of serious professional navigators, to become one of those, ...... well, you know, ...... recreational users, ... , on a public forum !
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    nonnipoppy said:
    phalanx of individuals
    >
    Wow there is more "OUTING" yet to come !!!
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Garmin users rest assured that the more PROFESSIONAL MAGELLAN users will not ever cause such public embarrasment.
    When you move up from recreational garmin user to become a professional navigator, you will be confident to the extent that, outing a user of another brand will not be necessary.
    You will be confident in the quality of your equipment and its accuracy.

I thought I would use an emoticon that I hadn't used before.

Geezer_Veazey Guest
    To be pointed out as one who has left the ranks of serious professional navigators, to become one of those, ...... well, you know, ...... recreational users, ... , on a public forum !
    Did I miss something???