Thread: National Forrest caches and permits

flannelman Guest

National Forrest caches and permits

Has there been any update on the Forrest service's stance on geocaching? I read an old memo about it but there doesn't seem to be anything current. What about the Core of Engineers? What is their policy? I want to be absolutely positive that I am in the right when hiding caches on those lands.

Will

NatureFish Guest

National Forest

The National Forest Service acknowledges geocaching and supports it. There is no permit required EXCEPT where National Forest lands are part of an Arkansas State Park or designated Wilderness Area.

In General:
    Arkansas State Parks - Get permit info and forms at http://www.arkansasstateparks.com/things/geocache/

BLM -- geocaching is allowed on many Bureau of Land Management lands, but you need to ask permission first.

National Parks Service -- geocaching is not allowed in National Parks (but feel free to ask your park manager nicely, just in case).
    NPS policy statement here, http://home.earthlink.net/~rsgeek/NPS010321_report.html

National Forest Service -- geocaching is generally allowed in the non-wilderness portions of National Forests, but always ask the given forest's manager first. The U.S. Forest Service has this FAQ response on-line in reference to geocaching:

While geocaching is NOT an appropriate use of a designated Wilderness Area, it is increasing in popularity in general forest areas. You must remember to follow all existing regulations when placing or looking for caches. This includes understanding and following all motor vehicle restrictions, avoiding damage to trees or roots, avoiding impacts to streams, wetlands and lakeshores, and minimizing your impacts on other forest visitors. Recreational public use of National Forests is intended to be short-term and low-impact, so that the many other forest visitors have an opportunity to enjoy the same lands also. Permanent or long-term structures or improvements are not allowed. If you are unsure about whether geocaching is appropriate in a certain area, please contact the local Forest office and ask.
    U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service -- geocaching in any form is not allowed in Fish & Wildlife Service lands (i.e., National Wildlife Refuges)

Hope that helps.

Please, under no circumstances place a cache on forbidden land and hope it will slip by un-noticed! It might, for a while, but in the end it will only serve to give geocaching a black eye and endanger our existing agreements and ongoing negotiations with land managers.

This is NOT inteded to be an exhaustive list of Arkansas land policies.

Have fun,
    Ed

flannelman Guest
    Thanks for the good info. I want to place more caches but I want to be ABSOLUTLY sure that I'm doing it in areas that allow it. After the problem I had a few weeks ago I want to be sure that I am in the right.

Thanks again for the info. I will bookmark them in my favorites list.

Will