Thread: New caches close to old caches

flannelman Guest

New caches close to old caches

I have out a few caches now and would like to place some more. I found some pretty cool places close to the first cache that I placed and I was considering them for new caches. The areas meet all the guidelines for distance etc. I just want to know if you guys are interested in going back to the same general ares to find new caches. Each place that I have looked at has some nice feature such as an interesting rock formation or a scenic view over a forrested valley.

I just want a little input to try to make my caches better and to make it a little better for the cacher that comes out here to the middle of nowhere.

I don't see a problem with that. There are probably a lot of cachers; myself included, that have not found your other caches. Having the new ones there would just give some of us more of a reason to go search for the old ones.

arkansas_angler Guest
    I'm think that interesting places can be enjoyed more than just one time. During a second visit, you may even see something you overlooked, or maybe even have some more time to check the area out.

If I am in an area with a cache that I have already been to, I will sometimes stop and check out the cache just to see if it is still there and how things are holding up. Writting a note for the owner will let them know I was there, and I can also leave information on maintenance issues (i.e., log/container is wet, log is full, cache is gone, etc.)

I say place the caches. It will even give those who haven't got the earlier caches a couple more to grab along the way!

cachemates Guest
    I think you will get more visits to your caches if you group them closer together. With the price of gas, more caches in the same area will help to get more cachers. When we first started hiding caches, we placed them all over Lake Greeson. You would have to drive a lot of miles to find 4 or 5 caches. Some were seldom found.
    Because of the gas prices, I archived some of those caches and placed them in a favorite campground with a 1.5 mile trail. Now, it is not as scenic as some of the other places was but you can park in one spot and find 9 or 10 caches. It seems to be working very well.
    I would go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by cachemates
    I think you will get more visits to your caches if you group them closer together.
    This sums up what I was about write. Truth is, when we're planning a caching trip, we're much more likely to visit an area that has a higher density of caches. In fact, we've spent several weekends in Clarksville and Burns Park because of this.

I'll even go as far as to say that if a hider is following the GC.com guidelines, I feel that cache density should never be a problem. Creativity could definitely be a problem, but not density. I'm sure the guidelines were designed with that specifically in mind.

My opinion: "The more, the merrier!"
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

flannelman Guest
    I expected those replies and thanks for the imput. It seems that I always find new places close to my existing caches not long after someone has been the area and already found the existing ones. I'll just keep placing them and let all who will come to find.

I understand the gas issue also. I work in Hot Springs, 30 miles from home one way, and go to college in Little Rock, 70 miles one way, so I go through the gas. But I also get to go after caches that I might not normally go after due to the distance. If I have time between classes I can go after a lot of caches in Little Rock and I have got several caches on the way to and from work.

Look for more caches soon!!

Flannelman,
    After finding almost all of your caches this past weekend, I would be happy to return to the same area to find some more! Of course, I will probably wait until you have a fair number of new ones posted. The drawing card for me this past weekend was the number of your caches that had not been found and had been sitting out for a while. I'm sure that more new caches in the area will attract more geocachers to hunt for them. The country I passed through in searching for your caches was beautiful and I had the woods to myself. To me, that's one of the attractions of non-urban geocaches. They're a lot more work, but the payback in enjoyment is much more! To paraphrase a saying from a popular movies of the '90's, "If you place them, they will come!" -- ORR
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

flannelman Guest
    I have some more ideas and places for caches and I wanto to put out my first multi soon. There should be more than eough for a return visit.

Glad you liked the drive!!