Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Arkansas Meet Alabama Campout - GCT912

cachecrazies Guest

Re: Poker

Quote Originally Posted by NatureFish
    non-participants can have fun watching, pointing and giggling! Anyone that wants to help me with that will be greatly appreciated!

Ed
    I can do that with no problem at all!

Pointing and giggling as we speak!

edited to add p.s.

P.S. I know what your intent was - just couldn't bypass the opportunity to give you a hard time!

cachecrazies Guest
    Sounds like so much fun! I'm glad we'll now be able to be there! Posted to the cache page tonight. We'll be coming down Saturday.

NatureFish Guest

caches

Will these "Poker-Run" caches need park approval as other caches in the state park are required to have?
    No, these are temporary caches placed only for a few hours.

These caches are not listed on gc.com - the coords are given out before the run and all caches are collected afterwards. These caches are not logged as finds... you just find them and take one card from each.

Ed

Phantom_491 Guest
    To the Cache Master Guru from Alabama (ie: NatureFish), I've seen other orgs that use a seperate cache page to log"Event Caches" I was curious on your take on this since these are technically still caches that are being found. Some people like to log every single find (Even the temp event caches).

Note: This isn't a case for getting another cache to bump numbers but some people like having a log for each and every cache they do, if for nothing else than to remember.

NatureFish Guest

Log

It amounts to the same thing - you can log 'Attended' once for the event and, if you so choose, once more for each Pocket Cache (Event Cache) you find there, or the event owner can revitalize one of their old archived cache numbers for each pocket cache for logging purposes, which is what the others you are talking about do.

The end result is the same; one smilie for every event attended and one for every cache found, whether listed on gc.com or not, and I would rather not mess with the history of archived caches.

Ed

Geezer_Veazey Guest

Poker-run caches

I will be happy to help with the Poker-run caches. I have a very reasonable source for the narrow ammo cans and I will pick up seven of them and five decks of playing cards. I am assuming you want the cards shuffled and randomly placed in the ammo cans. I'll seal them in security envelopes.

A couple of questions: Do you want the jokers left in? Do you want log books in the ammo cans? Do you want the cards and envelopes numbered with matching numbers in the log book? That might be a way to ensure no one takes extra cards and then uses the best ones, although I don't think anyone would do that. If so I'll number them after shuffleing so that the number sequence will not be a clue to the card inside.

If there is anything else I need to do or know, please post here or PM me. I'll try to get these hid Friday so they they will be ready to go the first thing Saturday morning.

Thanks, Naturefish, for putting this event on for us.

Guy Veazey aka geezer_veazey

NatureFish Guest

Poker

Way cool! Thanks so much!

Yes, seven containers, any kind

No logbook, these won't be logged as finds and will be collected at the end of the run, then stocked with trinkets and given away as prizes.

Enough cards in each container so that every participant can take one.
    I do not have a count of participants, we'll have to try to guess it from forum posts and event page logs just before the event...if a family says they're coming with Mom, Dad and three kids there will have to be 5 cards in each cache just for them, so it could take a lot of cards!

Yes, brown or heavily colored sealed envelopes so players can't see through them (regular postal security envelopes are opague and can be seen through).

Yes, each cache is numbered and each envelope inside it is numbered the same as that cache. At the end each player should have 7 cards in sealed envelopes numbered 1-7.

Jokers - Leave say four jokers in, not as wild cards but as Instant Winner cards for prizes. We can rig up something funny for Jokers gifts. The folks that get a Joker will still have 6 cards to make a 5-card hand.

A pair being the lowest hands, we'll come up with 'special' booby prizes for folks that can't even make that!

Thanks! I really appreciate this!
    Ed

NatureFish Guest

Prizes

There will be lots of prizes and stocked caches given away, anyone that wants to bring containers or trinkets to put in them is welcome to do so!
    Ed

LadyEngineer Guest
    Ed,

I don't know if we are going to get to spend Friday night so how early is all the fun starting? It takes us about an hour to get there and we are really interested in this poker game.

LE

NatureFish Guest

Time

Now that we have a volunteer who has so graciously offered to hide the caches in advance, we can start early!

I will open the meeting room around 8 a.m. or shortly thereafter. It will be open all day.

As folks arrive at the event they can go on the poker run whenever they want between 8 and say 1 p.m., at which time the caches will be collected and stocked as gifts for the 2 p.m. meeting.

I hope that works for you!
    Ed