Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .

mountainborn Guest

stratcat Guest

old spanish markings

all along the creek by the cave is these old trees that have carvings in them.i have heard that they are old spanish treasure markings but cant confirm that,so it is just an old folk tale i guess.even if they are not treasure markings they are neat to look at.just look for the big trees with the smooth bark on them,and you can see what looks like fish,turtles,birds,etc.etc.

mountainborn Guest

cachemates Guest
    This story reminds me of time myself and two buddies were just out mountain climbing and exploring. (Looking for turkey hunting area's) One such mine is close to our "Winding Stairs" cache. It goes back quite a ways then it bends and you can't see the light at the end anymore. Total darkness with bats galore. The first time we went into the mine the floor was dry and you could see where you stepped. (With a flashlight) The mine was called "The Chaulk Mine". When I was in High School one of the teachers from this area took a bunch of kids to explore this mine. The last time we were there water was running out the front of the mine. I was told the Forest Service has barred it up and you are not allowed in there anymore. Glad I got to see it before it was closed.

Not too far from this mine we went into another mine near the Little Missouri Falls Cache. These mountains have several mines in them. This mine was very similar to the chaulk mine. Big entrance, but this one had lots of water coming out. It had boards to walk on but you still needed boots. As you went farther into the mine things just seemed to get worse. We got back to where you could just barely see daylight and we come to a place where you had to walk across some boards at what looked like to us a verticle hole. We didn't have any walking sticks to test the depth and those boards just didn't look that strong. Who knows how long they had been there. Even as foolish as we were for going in there, (and no one had any idea where we were) This is where good old common horses sense kicked in. we turned around and left the mine never to return.

I'm glad you made it out of the mine without going blind. You know if Bats lay eggs in your hair you will go blind. Don't You? I learned that from watching Barney Fife on "Andy Of Mayberry". We always wore a cap just to be on the safe side.

Last Thanksgiving, the wife's family gathered at a rented cabin near Harriet. It's built over the top of a stream, with a waterfall just below the back porch. Anyways, we were exploring in the woods downstream and found an old mining cave there.

We got some good flashlights and went inside. Much to our delight, the cave went all the way through the mountain and came out on the other side! What's more, there was another small waterfall near the far entrance.

In places, you could still see sections of the rails they used, and there were cave crickets, bats, and lots of other interesting finds.

Later, RockHound did some research and found out that that there were several zinc mines in that area in the 1800s, so we assume that this was the original purpose.

Very cool!!!
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

mountainborn Guest

flannelman Guest
    This is most definitly on my todo list. What an awesome cache!!

mountainborn Guest

I'm game too.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

RugerPilot345 Guest
    mountainborn, I am kinda new at this (real new since I can not figure this out, ha ha) and without making me sound to slow, how come all your messages I try to read on the mesasage forum show up as .. and nothing else, what am I missing here?

Thanks,

Cool!!