Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5/5 Attempt

GEO Guest
    The best thing or way to brush up is in your local area.
    Do some recon at home then go to the unknown.
    The only thing you have to really remember with compass is declination of the area you are in.

GEO Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking
    This sounds like a great cache but I don't think I quite have the map and compass skills to attempt this one just yet. Good luck to anyone who tries this one. I will have to learn to use a compass and brush up on my map skills. If anyone knows of any good websites that could help me out please let me know.
    the sig here is my sig.I seen it earlier and was trying to quote it but just found it again

chili36 Guest
    Idratherbehiking,

An orienteering class is a good way to start. Practice is the best way to hone your skills.

chili36 Guest
    Sorry to have been out of the loop so long but I have been busy.

The 5/5 attempt is a go for the first weekend in October. I will be posting details on www.thebackpacker.com

Look under trailtalk there for a thread and also look at the trips page.

chili36 Guest
    Mission accomplished. I logged this one yesterday. 22.5 miles of hiking but the weather was perfect.

If anyone decides to attempt this any time soon, I will gladly update you on trail conditions.

rock_hound Guest
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You the MAN

How would you rate the terrian (from a backpackers point of view, not the GC.com rating)? I am a little concerned about being able to do this in two days. I usually do about 7 to 8 miles a day.