Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: WARNING Sherwood now Hostle to Caching .. Got Arested today

mountainborn Guest
    >>>
    Does your signature line mean:
    >>>
    Squib
    A non-magic person born of wizarding parents, a much rarer phenomenon than a Muggle-born witch or wizard.
    A Squib is not a Muggle. Born to a wizarding family, a Squib has such a low level of magical power that he or she is essentially unable to do any magic at all. However, while a Squib cannot cast spells, he or she can apparently see magical beings such as poltergeists, though not dementors (JKR).

Some Squibs seem to have formed special bonds with cats, whom they refer to as Mr or Mrs. It is possible that these cats function as guides and aides to Squibs as they live in a world in which they don't really fit. In a sense, these cats may be the wizarding equivalent of Guide Dogs and other animals which are trained to help Muggles with disabilities.

mountainborn Guest
    >>>
    I notice that the whole web site is oriented toward comunicating with the public they serve. They even have a "Citizens Academy ".
    Loose talk about quotas and other gibberish only aggrevate a situation where I expect that there is actually more to the story.

releejr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainborn
    I notice that the whole web site is oriented toward comunicating with the public they serve. They even have a "Citizens Academy ".
    Loose talk about quotas and other gibberish only aggrevate a situation where I expect that there is actually more to the story.
    It is Cool that they say they want to communicate, but I have from several of the people that deal with the Sherwood police (Bail bond person and a few officals) that the police tend to be overly Zeelous and critical of any situation that is a real "Small town" mentality. So I am sorry if I believe the people and not the web site.

releejr Guest
    BACKPACKNJACK ... I agree with your point of view, I always have assumed that it would be safe and proper to go to any published site.

One question: How do you know who to talk to for a Vacent unused lot? I have one placed (That I am considering removing for many reasons) But though I know it is unused properity there are several bussiness near it. Who would you all sudgest I notify/ask about it. In case I end up leaving it in place or return it to place some day?

NatureFish Guest

Platt

Every county maintains platt maps, open to citizenry, that show ownership of all land in the county.

BACKPACKNJACK Guest
    Who owns a piece of land is no secret and is public knowledge. I have gone to court houses, to county assessors, realtors, and abstract companies to find out about ownership when doing genealogy research and out in the country, even rural post offices and local stores. The city will know who is financially responsible for cleanup, taxes, etc. on a vacant lot. Some city and county workers do not know it is no secret who owns a piece of land so may hesitate to cooperate but lack of knowledge is most often just that…lack of knowledge, and not malicious intent, to mess with your quest. Physical description (location) then the county court house if all else (your short cuts) fail. Good luck to ya!

PS. There are lots of caches that I have stopped on or refused to look for because I thought IF I was watching some big old hairy man like me coming through the woods towards the back of a house, walking around a playground, walking back and forth in a parking lot, standing in the bushes just off of a walking/jogging trail, in someone’s yard, and lots more places, I would think twice. I try to use stealth when caching by carrying a walking cane, camera, trash bag with some aluminum cans in it, etc so even though I assume the cache owner has permission I don’t want to mess things up by looking suspicious to muggles. I stopped by a cache in Las Vegas at least 8 times before I would look for it and another one more then 10 times but gave up because of muggles.

NatureFish Guest

Details

Here are the details:

What happened is this .....

I arrived at the parking lot of the Indian Head Shopping center around 6pm.
    There was a lady eating in her car near where the Cache was so I waited a
    bit, then I decided to just look at the carving and see if I could get a
    better idea where it was so I took my GPS and walked to the Carving then
    around the edge of the parking lot toward the tree the cache was in. I them
    checked and saw the lady was looking somewhere else so I quick checked the
    tree and snagged the container. As I stood up a man from behind me ask what
    I was doing around here. At first I just said I was looking around, and he
    got insistant so I started explaining what Geocaching was. He had never
    heard of it, in the talk I learned he was the owner of the Gas station that
    backs up to the parking lot and recently he had been having trouble with
    people damaging and stealing Cars and Trailer from his lot (he also rents
    cars), so he has been watching his security camera real close and when he
    saw me creeping around on HIS property he came out to check.

Anyway, I showed him the cache and the paper inside (the log and Geocaching
    explaination) and talked some more, at which point he decided he was going
    to call the police. Sherwood sent a car out, of course the officer and no
    one he called had a clue what Geocaching was. When he looked at the
    container, he quickly ask me if I knew what had been in this. I told him,
    not really I just found it and opened it and all that was in it was the
    paper that the owner now had. He looked at it (Glanced at it) and ask me
    all about GeoCaching. How many others out there are doing this? How many
    other of these things are there here in Sherwood? I did not really have a
    answer for either question. He claimed there was a white resdue in the
    container (I have no clue if there was or not, I never got a chance to look
    at it)
    After a bit of talk .. and Many phone calls, patting me down, checking
    everything I had, more calls he walked me to his car and proceeded to
    handcuff and arrest me.

The final charge was Criminal Trespassing and possition of Criminal materals
    (I assume the cache)

I hope that is eplaination enough.
    His court date is February 14th.

I believe that if I were the cache owner I would appear in court to explain that I placed the cache and he innocently came to find it.

Ed

mountainborn Guest
    When I think about the cachers that post here and all of the tens of thousands of caches they have found, it makes me wonder why there are no other horror stories about the Police arresting geocachers.
    I still think there is more to this . . . . . .

Rusty_da_dog Guest
    When I think about the cachers that post here and all of the tens of thousands of caches they have found, it makes me wonder why there are no other horror stories about the Police arresting geocachers.
    I still think there is more to this . . . . . .
    I would have to agree with Mountainborn on this one. I have had visits with law enforcement from the mountains of North Carolina, Baton Rouge, LA, and in my own backyard in Ft. Smith. I have ALWAYS been able to visit with the officer or officers explain to them what I am doing and they are pretty much fine with it. I was told in Baton Rouge that there were a couple of people who had called in on me for acting suspicious, and for having Arkansas licenses plates on my car, they told me there had been drug activity in the park recently. I told them being from out of state just visiting that I had no idea, they ran my drivers license, and told me to do a little more research before I went looking for these "boxes" even if they are in public parks, and they told me that even with no hours posted that the park had been closed for sometime, but as I said once I talked to them and they checked me out, I was free to go one of the officers even thought it was an interesting game, just not in that particular park in Baton Rouge.

There has to be as Paul Harvey would say "The Rest Of The Story"

I will go back to my lurking now.
    Cya on the trails,
    Rusty

releejr Guest
    >>>
    Does your signature line mean:
    >>>
    Squib
    A non-magic person born of wizarding parents, a much rarer phenomenon than a Muggle-born witch or wizard.
    A Squib is not a Muggle. Born to a wizarding family, a Squib has such a low level of magical power that he or she is essentially unable to do any magic at all. However, while a Squib cannot cast spells, he or she can apparently see magical beings such as poltergeists, though not dementors (JKR).

Some Squibs seem to have formed special bonds with cats, whom they refer to as Mr or Mrs. It is possible that these cats function as guides and aides to Squibs as they live in a world in which they don't really fit. In a sense, these cats may be the wizarding equivalent of Guide Dogs and other animals which are trained to help Muggles with disabilities.
    Yeah that is what it means ... it refers to my most early attempts at this Geocaching ... 1 find and 15 DNF (non of which I logged because so many others were finding the itemd). It was a joke at myself saying I know the Magic, I was born to the magic ... I just can't seem to make it work.