Thread: Petit Jean Cedar Falls Cache

Phantom_491 Guest

Petit Jean Cedar Falls Cache

Wow What a Hike!!! It was 90 degrees or so and very humid. This was my 1st trip with my new cache-mobile (Jeep Cherokee). We stopped at the lookout/grave site. Logged the Benchmark up there. Anybody ever notice that the rock on the South East point of the Mt looks like a Gorilla's Face?!? (See my log of the BM http://www.geocaching.com/mark/log.a...5-af42f16d14be)

Drove on out to the lodge and started down the trail. Heading down wasn't too bad, but I remember thinking 'Man this is going to be a tough climb out!'. Found the cache, then continued to the falls. Dipped my feet in the pool, then hiked a trail that runs along the East Side of the valley. It only goes for about 1/4 a mile before it ends in a 15' drop. Walked back to the falls and collected the rest of the group. We hiked back. One of the other adults and I started up the steps and wound up leaving the rest of the group. We stopped about halfway and waited for them to catch up. When they finally caught up, I started off again, and got to the lodge. I waited for them, it seemed like forever. I saw other hikers that I had passed come up and finally some of the group arrived. I asked 'Where's the other kids?' and was told that they had turned onto the trail for the Bear Cave Rocks.

Very enjoyable area well worth the exertion/blisters/leg cramps/etc.

I'll have to plan another trip to get the other caches out there.

GEO Guest
    Petit Jean
    I have already talked with the Parks people there last year while there.
    We have their permission and help if we ever want to do an Event there.

This is one of the most beatiful and one of my favorite places in Arkansas.
    If anyone wants to know who to contact I think I still have the names and address's.

Those are some great caches in that area.

I think that would be a great place for an event, or a Meet and great.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

Geezer_Veazey Guest
    Phantom, Petit Jean and the Cedar Falls trails are great. I make that hike about twice a year - usually Spring and Fall when temp is not extreme. I'm not in great shape but I make it OK by taking it slow and easy. You would have been waiting on me also.

Did you keep the coordinates that you found in the Cedar Falls cache? If so you can minimize your walking to find the other two caches by coming in usuing the Boy Scout trail to Blue Hole. Be sure to cross the creek at Blue Hole before starting up stream or you may find yourself facing a treacherous crossing, or having to backtrack.

Happy caching.

Geezer

Geezer_Veazey Guest

Geezer_Veazey Guest

The Cedar Falls trail is one of my favorite trails to hike in the state. I like to go in on the boy scout trail also. I hike this trail into the falls 3 or 4 times from fall through late spring, mainly for exercise reasons. I usually hike it on my day off in the middle of the week. One time last winter I sat at the falls for 2 hours and hiked back out and never saw another person. This trail is one of the most beautiful in the state and most people never see it because they start at the lodge and go straight to the falls and back. One of the best hiking experiences of my life was last winter when I hiked in to the falls when there was about 3 inches of snow on the ground. Back in February I found all 5 caches on Petit Jean in the same day. My GPSr showed that I walked 10.3 miles that day. There are also 2 Letterboxes on Petit Jean. One is only about 100 yards from the bridge that crosses the creek below the lodge and the other one is at the Bear Cave area. Ifyou get the chance to make the trip up there you definately need to go after all of the caches along the creek.

Geezer_Veazey Guest
    I just logged on and discovered that a post I made this morning appears three times and I only submitted it once. Does anyone know what might have caused this?

RuffRidr Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer_Veazey
    I just logged on and discovered that a post I made this morning appears three times and I only submitted it once. Does anyone know what might have caused this?
    Shaky index finger? Lol! Seriously, I don't know.

--RuffRidr