Thread: Garmin X series

CacheScouts Guest

Garmin X series

Has anybody been patiently waiting for the release of the new Garmin x-series? Well I have and they finally hit the retailers. I picked up the GPSmap 60csx today. This new model has a 64MB micro sd memory card installed from the factory that more map data can be stored on! The card is about the size of a dime. Another plus is the chipset technology. I locked on to 9 satellites while sitting in my living room with an 18 ft accuracy. My other gpsr (Garmin vista etrex) can't do that. If this is the first you've heard about the new series check out Garmins web site. If you have been waiting for it, (like me) Bass Pro Shops currently has some in stock.

Wow. I'm almost scared to ask, but what do these babies retail for?
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

Cost?

Best price $499 @ OffRoute.com. Sounds like the next machine? ONward

I personally don't like the x series because of the dime sized micro-SD card it uses. I already have a 1GB standard SD card that I use in all my other electronics because it is an industry standard size. Surely they could have used it too...but noooo they had to go and be different. That means yet another card reader that you need unless you want to do all the uploading and downloading via the GPSr and not doing it through the GPSr is kind of the point of having it as removable memory.

Those new micro-SD's aren't even made in 1GB or 2GB size yet and the x-series as manufactured won't support one over 512MB even if they were.

I'll wait for someone to make a GPSr with an industry standard memory module.

CacheScouts Guest
    Currently 512MB is the largest capacity for the micro sd memory card but I would say that in the future it would be expanded. Another thing is the card is more comparable to a sim card that are in cell phones. Garmin has this one under the batteries.

It was $499.00 which is $50.00 more than the GPS Map 60cs.

Quote Originally Posted by ar_kayaker
    That means yet another card reader that you need unless you want to do all the uploading and downloading via the GPSr and not doing it through the GPSr is kind of the point of having it as removable memory.
    I think they make an SD size adaptor (or maybe comes with the micro SD) that accepts the micro SD cards so they can be used in a standard SD reader/writer.