Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Arkansas Meet Alabama Winter Campout

NatureFish Guest

Arkansas Meet Alabama Winter Campout

It's past time I met some of the geocachers I have heard such great things about, so I want to put together such an opportunity!

I will arrive at an as-yet-to-be-determined camping park on a to-be-determined Friday, along with a few AGA (Alabama Geocaching Association (alacache.com)) geocachers and make camp.

Saturday we'll have a meeting room or pavilion (depending on the weather) available all day. We'll have a poker run, do some local caches and at ~5 p.m. have a get together where we'll have some fun and I will present the results of the Reviewer Appreciation Awards and prizes for the poker run.

Saturday night we can do a bonfire if weather permits or have a group night cache run around the area.

I want to do this on a date when and at a location where most of those being nominated for my Reviewer Appreciation Award can be there, and so seek the input of all of those so far nominated as to a date and place.

As far as place, a state park that has a restaraunt in it or nearby, has cabins and / or a hotel for non-campers would be nice!

Cache density isn't a concern, for me at least, as I plan this to be a social event more than a geocaching one!

Let me know and I will set it up!
    Ed

LadyEngineer Guest
    Ed,

The perfect place (my opinion) for that type of event would be Petit Jean. It is an easy drive from Russellville and Morrilton for those that want to say in a hotel, but there is a lodge and cabins up there too. You can pitch a tent or pull in a camper and there is lots of space. There is a resturant on the top plus some awesome hiking trails. Your also within driving distance of the caching capital of Arkansas, Clarksville, and not too far from Burns Park. Besides the natural beauty of the location. It is a place that my family just loves to go to.

http://www.petitjeanstatepark.com/

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...60875,1.249695

LE

NatureFish Guest

Park

Provided it's a good location for most attendees, Petit Jean looks marvelous!

They do, however, have a 2-night-stay requirement for the Mather Lodge. I do not as yet have any idea how many plan to rent a room there instead of camp, but when I saw that lodge I immediately thought it would be a great place where we could all stay together!

I may do that anyway instead of camp, if in fact this park is selected; stay Friday and Saturday nights in the lodge and use the lodge meeting room and restaraunt. Anyone else interested in this?

I hosted an event for 60+ in a park just like this this weekend - GCRR1P http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...6-8846bd442195
    and it was by all accounts a huge success!

Certainly a place to consider!

Date? What does the weekend of February 25 or March 3 sound like? Too soon?

Geezer_Veazey Guest
    Petit Jean State Park is an excellent choice; a very scenic area with caches in park and nearby. Here are some pictures, all made while caching in the park.

It's also close to home so I could take it in. Looking forward to meeting NatureFish and this select group.

Guy

Phantom_491 Guest
    Here's a different view of the point overlooking the valley.

And the benchmark nearby.

Petit Jean is an excellent choice. As a bonus, there are several nice caches nearby, too. Since it's close to us, I'm sure we could attend, as long as we have a couple of weeks notice...

Wayne
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

Geezer_Veazey Guest
    The benchmark pictured above is actually nail placed in the approximate location of where the benchmark was. It was placed by the Corps of Engineers I think but I'm not sure. See the NGS recovery note dated 9/26/89: http://img.groundspeak.com/benchmark...89568639e1.jpg

There are two reference marks to the bench mark and one is inside the boardwalk. I didn't take time to find the other.

There are also at least 3 waymarks in the park and perhaps by the meeting date I can have some more.

Lodge, camping, hiking, scenic, historic, geocaches, benchmarks, waypoints!!! Go Petit Jean.

nonnipoppy Guest
    Pettit Jean Park is a great spot. We will try to attend to meet whomever might be there. But since #1 daughter is with child and the "event" is tentavively scheduled for Feb 12 poppy has little control over his schedule at this time. If we can we will.....poppy

Petit Jean!

I'm not sure I saw a date posted anywhere, but I will definitely be there unless I'm out of state.

Regarding places to stay, there's a motel on the mountain, just a little east of the park. I don't recall the name, but I'll see if I can find out (Cedar Falls Lodge, maybe?). Also, the Episcopal Diocese of Arkansas has a lodge on the east end of the mountain, just 2 or 3 miles from the park, that can be rented. I think the charge is $200 a night, with several bedrooms (4 or 5). I believe up to 15 can sleep there easily. If I remember correctly, there's a lawn area and a camp fire pit back of the lodge, with a great view off the cliffs into the valley. My son's fraternity has a retreat up there twice a year, and have been amazed how nice the place is. I'll see if I can get more specific details on it, if anyone is interested in going in together on it.

ORR
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

We're in

Team CFD29 will try to make it, as that is not far from home (Clarksville), depending on my work schedule will put it as a prioity to attend as soon as a firm date is set, sounds like fun!!