Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you folks do it?

Team_Pink Guest
    So the City Select works pretty good for you? I have the 60cs also and did not get the maps. I have a Dell Axim with the Ostia software. I like the larger screen on the PDA and the voice turn by turn. I dislike the wires - cigarette lighter charger for it and the bluetooth GPS. I may take a look at the City Select software.

nonnipoppy Guest
    Yes we are satisfied with City Select v7. We understand that Garmin has now stopped selling that software. They are touting City Navigator for the same application. It seems that the thought they could reduce the offerings and still do the same thing.

The GC.com forums lead me to believe that there is precious little difference other than the size of the map pieces that you choose to load. I count 21 seperate maps in City Select to get all of Arkansas. I am told that City Navagator does it all in 2 maps.

I also read that there is more POI info in City Navagator. POI info is the data that allows you to search for the nearest food or gas or lodging etc.....poppy

Team_Pink Guest

Serial cable for PocketPC

You know there are several makers of cables to hook serial devices to the PocketPC like your AXIM?

Here is one:
    http://www.serialio.com/products/adapto ... _RS232.htm

Thanks for the link! I had not seen that one before... A power adapter is a must for the Axim, if you plan to use it for maps. The battery drains pretty quickly. I've have found that by keeping the wireless card turned off, the battery life improves significantly.

Hmmm... now I have something to request for my birthday...
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

flannelman Guest
    Pocket queries, GSAK, Cachemate on a Palm m130, Garmin etrex legend. I flip/flop between the laptop and desktop for downloads and data transfers.

I'm waiting for my earnings to catch up to my dreamin'

ultimate for me would be a dedicated caching vehicle with the laptop for street navigation/logging/downloads/data transfers. pda for info at the cache site, and gpsr to get me from the truck to the cache.

Team_Pink Guest
    Thanks for the responses.

Looks like everybody is going through the import, export routines to keep serveral devices in sync. Maybe Garmin and others will add a GSAK type function to their products some day. The ability to hook up a keyboard, mouse and monitor, a good database program and the ruggedness of the handheld GPSr's would be the ideal would it not?

This is starting to sound like a rugged PDA? I have seen some ruggedized PDA enclosures. Maybe the way to go some day?!

Goodness. You folks put me to shame. I just spend hours in front of the computer, plugging in zip codes near places I'm going to be, reading descriptions, reading logs, picking out caches that seem do-able and interesting, then download the waypoints to my etrex Legend and use it to navigate. It's not sophisticated, but I get as much enjoyment out of reading about other people's experiences as I do in having my own adventures, plus I get a kick out of that little gizmo taking me right to the caches. Of course, this probably also explains why I've only got 77 finds to my name!! I do have some PQs but don't really use them.

PQ's RULE!!!!!!
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!