Thread: .

mountainborn Guest

cachemates Guest
    mountainborn, we always enjoy reading your stories. You just have a way with words. Its like we were there. Kind of like reading a Geocaching Adventure Book. I think that State Trooper must live close by. His car is parked there most of the time. Glad you had an entertaining day.

Most times the DNF stories are way more interesting than the others, huh? Thanks for posting this one!
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

NatureFish Guest

Camo'd in High Society

Funny story! I had one myself recently involving camo making me stand out!

I attended a weekend-long event in Lancaster PA Dec 10th during a snowstorm. I had driven 1100+ miles, most of that following snowplows, attended the event and spent 14 hours in a 15-car wagon-train finding 60+ caches, been awake and dressed in the same warm comfy hunting camo for about 30 without sleep when, at 2 a.m. after the cache run, my partner decides we "must" go to the Washington DC National Zoo to see a new-born Panda Bear cub.

Huh.

Off we go.

Get there at 6 a.m., park opens at 7, there's already a line.

A foot of snow and folks are standing in line to see a bear at dawn.

Turns out that there was a special deal on - tickets had been sold out for months to come, but this particular morning the first 60 in line would get a ticket - to come back at a specified time during the day and spend 10 MINUTES looking through a glass wall - if the bear was awake and moving around his playroom, you got to see him - if not, tough!

Seems there were a few things my erstwhile geocaching partner, now sleeping soundly in the Jeep while I stand freezing in line - forgot to mention!

Now, I talk to everyone. I am a fairly outgoing fellow, so I talked to the line standers and, when a dude in a suit walks by, talk to him.

Turns out he's the Director of the National Zoo, and he's here early to conduct a private tour. We talk about this 'n that, and he invites me to join the tour.

Sure, I say, but I have to go get my partner out of the Jeep. No problem, he says, and sends three Parks Police off to fetch her!

Now, I wasn't there so I don't know exactly what was said, but the policeman who brought her back reports that upon being awaken her first question was "What's he done now!?" LOL - she's a District Attorney and I am one of geocaching's biggest cop magnets, so I suppose it was a natural question!

Anyhoo, he leads us to a room where we meet our other tour-mates: The Secretary of the Navy, a Supreme Court justice and his kids, 2 Senators and their family, two members of the Olympic Committee and two members of the Board of Directors of the Salvation Army!

Well now, I am not usually a bit self-concious but here I am in bib coveralls and a boot, flannel long johns and camo shirt and coat. Disreputable isn't the word! More like ragged!

I couldn't help but notice when he introduced himself that SecNav's overcoat cost more than my Jeep! I spent 10 years in the Navy, so meeting him looking like I did was especially, uh, fun!

Anyhoo - the Director sent two employees in to wake up this dang bear and bring him out, and allowed us to stay and play, visit and chat for an hour!

Quite a memorable experience - not for the bear, but because we looked like Junie Mae and Uncle Billy Don Dupree straight out of the hills!

Great trip though!

OMG Now thats Funny!!!!!!! I just visualised that whole store as it was going on, and that sounds like a geocaching adventure. LMAO!!!!!!!
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!