Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game and Fish Wildlife Mgmt Areas

TeamMGGPS Guest

Game and Fish Wildlife Mgmt Areas

Does anyone know of a policy restricting placing a GC on AGFC-WMA's?
    I have seen the GC's that the AGFC has placed on their wesite.
    But I didn't see anything about the public putting out caches in these type areas?
    Thanks,
    Team MGGPS

Re: Game and Fish Wildlife Mgmt Areas

Quote Originally Posted by TeamMGGPS
    Does anyone know of a policy restricting placing a GC on AGFC-WMA's?
    I have seen the GC's that the AGFC has placed on their wesite.
    But I didn't see anything about the public putting out caches in these type areas?
    Thanks,
    Team MGGPS
    I've heard both "yes" and "no". We got permission for a cache on a WMA (archived now) from some local AG&FC personnel, but I know someone else that was told that NO geocaches were allowed on AG&FC land.

As far as I know, there is no official policy in place.
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

BACKPACKNJACK Guest
    As best I recall (man I use that a lot ) there was a cache at Bell Slough and the AG&FC was considering placing caches themselves to have complete control of them not just permits control. I guess they don’t know how close most of us keep up with our caches.
    Those who have contacted them most recently may update us (because of your post) on the latest position of the Game and Fish commission.
    It would be of interest to many of us, thanks for bringing it up again.

LadyEngineer Guest
    http://www.arkgeocaching.org/modules...a6674426c88675

Check this thread out about the Arkansas Game and Fish cache rules. I had investigated it back then and was told that ONLY AGFC employees would be allowed to place caches on AGFC land which includes WMAs. I have not checked in recent months to see if they have changed their stance on this issue. They do not have any posted rules on the website about it.

LE

TeamMGGPS Guest
    Thanks Lady-E. I thought there was a thread awhile back but I couldn't find it. Let me know if you hear anything.
    Team MGGPS

NatureFish Guest

Rules Delay

Sorry for the delay, I am gathering info from all previous Reviewers and TPTB at Groundspeak to formulate an accurate and concise answer for this very important topic.

I am aware of some restrictions and regulations, but this post makes me want to question their currency and accuracy.

I will have all known listing and hiding rules posted within a few days.

Thank you for your patience,
    Ed

rock_hound Guest
    Naturefish,

Your post was a little confusing. Please clarify. Was this posted to the correct thread?

NatureFish Guest

Rules

Sorry if I confused anyone!

As a Volunteer Reviewer it is my responsibility to learn the restrictions, rules and regulations regarding the hiding and access of geocaches that may affect geocaching in the states that I review.

It is my further responsibility to post those rules in a forum for all Groundspeak Volunteer Reviewers, as any Reviewer may be called upon to cover any state or country for an off-duty Reviewer at any given time.

It is my responsibility to assure that all placements meet federal, state and local regulations as well as the Groundspeak Geocache Listing Guidelines.

Lastly, it is my responsibility to teach geocachers these rules and to promote the sport by assuring land managers that we are aware of, sensitive to and dedicated to abiding by any requirements they may impose for geocaching on their lands.

So far I am aware of hiding rules in Arkansas by the National Parks Service, State Parks, Hot Springs Historical Area and now, due to this thread, pending regulations by the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission.

LadyEngineer and others have those negotiations well in hand, and if / when any placement or access requlations result she will post them here and I will post them to all Reviewers.

I hope this clarifies my apology for being unable to immediately answer the OP - It's my job to know these things!!

Ed

TeamMGGPS Guest
    Thanks to all for checking on this.
    Team MGGPS

Has there been any news on this front? I never realized what huge swaths of land WMA's cover until I started checking some old topo maps I have looking for good caching areas.

Some of them don't even make sense as a WMA. How much wildlife can you "preserve" at a public access boat dock on a major lake? Surely stopping by and logging a cache isn't any more invasive than launching a motorboat.