Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MOGA 2006

MOGA 2006

Details are complete and we're ready to start taking registrations.

This year the event will be held at Pere Marquette State Park near Alton IL, just across the Mississippi and about 30 miles North of St. Louis. The dates are March 25 and 26, 2006.

We will have 60 loggable caches, huntable on Saturday and Sunday, and individual, two and four person teams for those interested in competition. This year all competition and awards will be on Saturday, leaving Sunday for additional caching or the drive home. As before the competition will be done using punches finding as many as possible in a 3 hour period. Individual course will be Saturday morning and consist of 30 caches. In the afternoon will be the two and 4 person teams, hunting for a different set of 30 caches. This year those in competition will also be able to log the caches as they punch their cards

T shirts, special coins, lanyards, and pins will also be available. Signup early for special offers and incentivies.

For all the details, see http://moga.geostl.com

Hope to see another good turnout from the Arkansas group again.

Rich (RGS)
    MOGA Staff

Phantom_491 Guest
    Having been to the previous 2 events, All I can say is that SLAGA throws 1 heckuva event.

I tried last year to get a group from here to attend, & possibly participate in the team event. As it was we had 2 of our very own (Crazies) take 1st & 2nd in the individual competition.

I would like for us (ArkGeo) to go there this year and take some more of the hardware (Trophies, Medals Etc). They also give out great door prizes ie: GPSRs, 2-Way Radios, Binoculars, gift certificates, etc(I got a pair of tickets to the Cardinals game on 3 July).

cachecrazies Guest
    Well - we've registered and intend to be there! It was such fun that we can't stand NOT to go again!

Have signed up for the individual event - gives us the option of competing for "competing" just for the heck of it! We may or may not try to do much - remains to be seen! Found it interesting that they've split it into age groups this year (yeah, you young kids don't like being beaten by us old folks! LOL!) and that you can now drive to the closest parking area! Now - I just have to convince them to allow motorized wheel chairs! (Joking!)

Loved the cracker barrels last year and definately hope to be a part of it again this year.

SteveBrown Guest

Re: MOGA 2006

Quote Originally Posted by RGS
    This year those in competition will also be able to log the caches as they punch their cards
    Hi Rich,
    I was very pleased to win third place in the Individual Hard Course last year. It was a truly fantastic event. You are really putting the icing on the cake this year by allowing the competitors to log their finds. Since we are no longer allowed to have a LOTEC site to log our finds at an event I'm wondering how you all are doing it this year. Will each of the 60 caches be an individual cache page on gc.com?

nonnipoppy Guest
    Hey Rich,

Did they stop the LOTEC?

poppy

Quote Originally Posted by nonnipoppy
    Hey Rich,

Did they stop the LOTEC?

poppy
    Yep, the powers to be (Jeremy) said it was a waste of resources having multiple event cache logs on the same "dummy" cache page. But, he said it was OK to create a permanent cache and log all the event caches there. It seems to me that the resources used would be the same, but that's what he wants, so be it. We will make a permanent cache near the pavillion and all the event caches can be logged there. We're trying to make things easier on us so no way are we going to create 60 new cache pages!

This year the competition and cache hunting should be more enjoyable for everyone. But Steve, remember this ain't Kansas, so there will be hills just like the last 2 years.

And cachecrazies, wheelchairs are allowed, just remember to bring fully charged batteries. It's no fun being stuck at the bottom of a hill! :P :P

Hope to see everyone again in March, and poppy, I've got your event on my calendar too.

Rich

GEO Guest

Me 3

I guess all the paper work is final and I am going to the 3rd one.

Hope to have as much fun this year as the last 2 you guy's and gal's do a great job.
    Don't know might be in late again and then again... I may not be.

I will just be a caching.up,down,around,back.....

TeamSpanky going to the MOGA

I kept putting off registering for this since I did not know if my weekend would be free. Well, I almost blew it! I was able to pay for my registration, meals, etc. and then I noticed that the meals had to be paid for by the 12th (yesterday) - which I did - and the waiver was supposed to be in 2 weeks prior. I haven't heard anything back yet so I am hoping that means I am in. I will be driving up with my oldest son Friday night and we will be competing in the 2 person team event. Hope to see the other ArkGeo members there. Are we going to try and have a designated camping area for our association? Looking forward to seeing everyone there! Maybe I will have an Arkansas Geocoin in my pocket by then. STW

Re: TeamSpanky going to the MOGA

Quote Originally Posted by SpankytheWizard
    I haven't heard anything back yet so I am hoping that means I am in. STW
    STW,

I just checked and everything made it thru fine and you're all registered.

Looking forward to seeing the Arkansas group in a week and a half. Have a safe trip.

Rich (RGS)
    MOGA staff

MOGA is over....on to the next

My son and I made it to MOGA and met many new friends and fellow cachers. They put on a very well organized event. We gave it a good effort but fell short of placing in our 2 person team category. Seems we chose the wrong sites to go after. One area that we thought would be the most difficult turned out to be the easiest. So much for my map reading skills. At least we didn't walk off a cliff! This was my first out-of-state event. I hope to make it for part of the Geowoodstock 4 event in TX on Memorial Day weekend. Hope to see you there. STW

edited for spelling STW