Thread: Bookmarks?

TeamMGGPS Guest

Bookmarks?

Can someone explain the use of Bookmarking in GC.com?
    Also, how does this work with Google Earth? I've played with
    Google Earth for awhile and I just loaded the upgrade but I don't
    know how to make it show the caches.
    TIA,
    MGGPS

Bookmarking is similar to Favorites in Internet Explorer - only it organizes your caches in ways that you want. Say you want to let others know what you consider the hardest caches you have ever found. Create a Bookmark called "My hardest caches in Arkansas" and then add the cache waypoints to this list. Then you can share it with others on gc.com That way a visitor to the state who likes a challenge can see if someone has such a list out there. Also, it helps you navigate to the cache pages to catch up on logs by going to your bookmarks and clicking on the cache link there instead of scrolling through pages of caches or doing a search each time. At least, that is what I think it is for.

As for Google Earth. Did you download the KML file? IF so, you should be able to open the app and then click on File - Open and navigate to where you saved the KML file. Once loaded it will query the gc.com database and populate the curent view with caches. There is a limit to how many it will display depending on the current view. I think 250 max. If you zoom out too far I don't think it displays at all. It would probably overwhelm the app.
    If you are talking about the .LOC created from a bookmark list it follows the same way. Save it locally and then open it in Google Earth. I did a quick test and it automatically flew to the geocache once I opened it.
    STW