Thread: Looking for Frostie and Jeanie

Team_Pink Guest

Looking for Frostie and Jeanie

I am looking for Frostie and Jeanie. I would like to adopt some of their caches if they have stopped playing the game. Can someone get me in touch with them?

Any other names?

I looked up on our member list and did not see a Frostie or a Jeanie. I also looked on geocaching.com and could not find any handles that were in the Arkansas area. Is that their geocaching.com usernames? ArkGeo usernames? I notice there have been over 20 views on this post so far with no replies. I guess everyone who has read it is steering clear because the names are not familiar and they have no info. Can you throw us another bone?

Team_Pink Guest
    here is a link to their profile. You can look up all their hidden caches.

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?g...6-258965dab43e

Wow. I did a search on those names and did not get any hits. I assume you tried to email them and got no response. I would just solicit the GC folks to take over maintenance. You can stress the fact that you have tried to contact the user multiple times with no response. Certainly looks like they haven't done anything in some time.

NatureFish Guest

Caches

I looked at all their active caches, thev'e all been found within the last couple of months and no DNFs - am I missing something?
    Ed

Team_Pink Guest

Frostie and Jeanie

Of the caches that have been archived, they did not respond to the reviewers request to reply. I think the caches that are out there, are surviving on their own and if they have stopped, the caches will not get any attention other than from finders. I am just assuming that from the absence of replys or other communication, including not logging in to the web site for a long time, that the caches are going to die. I haven't found all of theirs but if I could get in touch with them, and if they do not plan on maintaining the caches I would ask for permission to adopt and go from there. There may be some that I would not want to maintain like PocaPark (GCHT37) but others may be worth perserving.

Geezer_Veazey Guest
    I thought that once a cache has been archived, the area becomes available to anyone on a first come first served basis. All tech-guy needs to do is go put out a cache, no adopting necessary. Am I not right?

Geezer

NatureFish Guest

Adopt

Well, yes and no, Geezer, two issues here.

Some of their caches have been archived - meaning that the area is clear and new caches can be placed there.

The second issue is active caches that are being found but the owners are gone or unresponsive.

As long as the cache is in decent shape with no issues I will generally leave it alone and it becomes "community maintained"; we have a number of caches that are pretty neat but the owners moved or dropped out long ago. Rather than have a good cache archived finders keep the level of trade items up, replace full logs and so on.

Once a few DNFs are logged, or someone wants to use the area for a new cache, or maintenance is a problem, someone can do one of two things:

File an SBA - We take Should Be Archived notes seriously, and a lack of timely response by an owner will almost certainly get a cache archived.

Adopt it - if someone desires to adopt an abandoned cache they should contact the owner and ask to adopt it. If the owner wishes to let this happen they must go to www.geocaching.com/adopt and enter the cache ID and new owner's name to complete the adoption. No Reviewer need be involved in an adoption.

In certain circumstances someone will want to adopt a particular cache and the owner can't be found. In this case write a note fully explaining the situation to contact@geocaching.com and they may decide to do an administrative transfer of ownership. That decision is based mostly on the percieved value of the cache (log history) and the maintenance track record of the adopting cacher.

Hope that helps,
    Ed

Thanks for this information, NF. I've added the adoption procedures to our FAQ!
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

Team_Pink Guest

UPDATE!

I just got an email from Frostie and Jeanie! To make a long story short they have been off line and are about to get back online! They have moved to around the Melborne area.

Glad to see they are OK and getting back in the game!