Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Geocaches within Devils Den Park

Troop226 Guest

Geocaches within Devils Den Park

I was thinking that geocaching would be a great fun learning tool for our local Boy Scouts. Our next outing is at Devils Den Park and would like to know if there are any geocaches found within the park boundaries that would be suitable for us to try our first hunt. Thanks in advance.

Looks like this is the only one. You will have to read the cache page and decide if it is suitable for your scouts, but it looks OK to me. I'm sure Arkansas Stickerdude can provide more info. If he doesn't respond to this thread, you can click on his profile which will provide an email link. Have fun and welcome to Geocaching.
    Clark

Vista del Diablo
    "Honey, we're not normal people. We're the Griswolds. "

Troop226 Guest
    Thanks a lot for the link and information. We certainly appreciate this and are looking forward to enjoying this sport.

Thanks again

Welcome to geocaching!!!

I think your troop will love it. Be sure to follow up with us and tell us how your first hunt went!

Wayne
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

Troop 226 thats right there is only 1 right now. When are you going down there? If there is time I'll go down and hide some more for your troop to find.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

Troop226 Guest
    Hello StickerDude. I sent you an email to the address listed on this site with some additional details. We are actually planning a campout this coming weekend so the time is short for any additional caches. The single one should be good for us to get into the idea of geocaching. It would be nice to have many of them within the parks of the state as this is where we and most other Scout troops will camp.

The Scouts generally will each plan a campout for each month of the year and something like the Geocaches makes for an interesting outing while at the same time being an aid for navigation and outdoors training. We are looking forward to finding the cache that is currently there if we can get the details of the cache before our trip.

I registered at the geocache site to get the details, but as of yet have received no email confirm for the registration completion.

We are only a small troop, but we will certainly be passing on the information so that all the other troops know of this sport and they can also begin to take part in this adventure on their outings.

Thanks

BACKPACKNJACK Guest
    Welcome troop226!!
    I think you have chosen the best possible place to learn about geocaching and to get the quickest response to your questions about caching or the caches that have been placed in Arkansas. The Arkansas State Parks, lots of local city parks, corps of engineers parks, national forest, etc., places where Scouts are most likely to campout are full of great caches. If you would like to *burn* up the trails and *burn* off those hotdogs and marshmallows you may have *burned* over a campfire, check out all the caches “Grandkid38” and others have placed in **Burns Park**.
    Location of caches:
    It is a brand new edition to “Geocaching.com” that unless you have an active account and are logged in you are allowed to see all the details on a cache page except the actual grid coordinances so if you don’t get the verify email in time for this trip we can help you with that by PM or Email.
    Just a tip from me to you:
    When they actually find the cache remember to watch for that bright face look that comes over a kid’s (big kids too) face when they find a ‘for real, hidden treasure’, or you may miss something very special about caching. There is a reason why a lot of us cachers spend the time, money and effort getting permission to place caches, and I think you are about to see it first hand. I hope your troop enjoys this trip and maybe gets a chance to hunt in some of the more cache saturated areas in the Great Arkansas Outdoors.
    Here is a link to a map of the caches in Arkansas (over 11 hundred now)
    http://www.brillig.com/geocaching/arkansas.shtml

Troop226 Guest
    Thanks, BACKPACKNJACK. It appears there are many caches very near to our location. Those would make for a nice day trip. I still haven't received anything from the geocaching site. I find this a bit out of place as most similar types of things have programs set to autorespond the details back to the originator within minutes. Is this normal to have such a delay.

I see that most things are listed using latitude longitude. Is this the normal format used. I always use the UTM when I make use of my GPS, and don't know if I have ever used longitude and latitude to navigate with. Is easy enough to translate it, I guess if this is the only listed format.

BACKPACKNJACK Guest
    Troop226
    You can use UTM if you like, it is listed also.
    I don't know why you are having trouble but many have trouble because of their spam blockers. I had the same problem with my ISP and had to resubmit using my "web mail".
    Check your PM for some more detailed help I am sending you.

Troop 226 I did not get an email if you would try again or you can call me at 479-461-9295. The ranger at Devils den is a good friend of mine I will see if I can place some temperary caches just for you guys.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!