Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Game and Fish Wildlife Mgmt Areas

LadyEngineer Guest
    I had several conversations with Lucy Moreland back in November. She was suppose to get a gc account for AGFC and get their caches posted on gc so more people would know they are there and come hunt them. I have been waiting on her to call me back. I will try today to contact her again, but I don't want to bug her, as this may seem offensive and I don't want her to be on the defensive about geocaching. I will let you know if I hear of anything.

LE

I found a website where the AGFC posts their own caches, seven of them I think. But I mean come on...seven? With all the land AGFC controls?

I don't want to put them off the idea of having caches either...I just think they could make better use of the land we-the-people have entrusted them with.

I don't mind being a responsible user of the land, in fact I'm pretty dead set on being low impact everywhere I go, as I'm sure most cachers are. I'm all in favor of having to get a permit and approval by someone in charge of the area, it is just that there is no real reason why cachers can't place their own.

There are three different WMA's I've already noticed on the topo-maps within 15 minutes of me where the AGFC allows people to drive all around, park, put boats in the water, go fishing off piers, even ride ATV's through some of them but won't allow a cache to be placed unless they do it themselves. At a rough guess there are over 75 square miles of land with numerous boat docks, piers and trails in those three areas alone.

Surely it would be less work to check the location a cacher wants to place a cache to see if it is acceptable and hack off on a permit than it is to create and place their own.

I agree. I think the obstacle is that they are simply uninformed about what geocaching is, how it works, and our commitment to being an "environment-friendly" group.

We should work to get the word out to ALL landowners that geocaching can HELP them, not hurt them. The committee has been discussing the best ways that we can go about this, and we would love to hear everyone's ideas.

The situation with AG&FC is one that could easily go either way. They could embrace the geocaching community and start using us as a resource, or they could reject us and create a policy that would ban geocaches on all AG&FC lands. For this reason, I'd like them to see an organized, professional "face" of ArkGeo right off the bat. We have some inroads now, and hopefully this will lead to increased trust over time.

I also think (for what it's worth) that our goal should be an AG&FC policy to allow geocaching. We can do this by showing them our commitment to preserve Arkansas lands (CITO, for example) and by demonstrating to them that we can be beneficial to their cause.

What do the rest of you think?
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

LadyEngineer Guest
    ar_kayaker,

Please see the comments made about the AGFC in the thread below:

http://www.arkgeocaching.org/modules...2b7537a5ab11dd

This should explain why I posted what I did about bugging Mrs. Moreland. This two threads should actually be one and some very important information is in each of the two threads.

I have placed a call to Mrs. Moreland, but reached her voice mail. Hopefully she will call me back.

LE