Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honoring Arkansas Geocachers

NatureFish Guest

Honoring Arkansas Geocachers

I have an opportunity to recognize outstanding geocachers in Arkansas and seek all Arkansas geocacher's input!

Groundspeak presented their Volunteer Reviewers with a Limited Edition special geocoin this Christmas, and I choose to use mine as Reviewer Appreciation Awards for cachers in the areas I review.

Since I started reviewing the geocache listings in Arkansas I have gotten a mental image of some cachers, and through the arkgeocaching forums, through my percieved quality of their hides and logs, though emails and in other ways gained some insight into who's who.

This means that six Arkansas geocachers will be selected for recognition.

However, as mentioned, I have but limited view of the people and personalities integral to Arkansas geocaching, so I reach out to you, the geocachers, to tell me who has been the most influential, who has taken leadership, who has promoted the game and supported the geocaching community.

Being a geocacher makes one eligible, being a geocacher that a majority support for honor and recognition makes you a winner!

I want to hear from you in this thread nominations for Outstanding Geocachers. I will run this for two weeks, and announce the six nominees with the most votes on January 23rd, 2006.

If you know Arkansas geocachers who do not come to this website, either invite them here to place nominations or tell me where else I should post this.

Direct questions to me to NatureFish@gmail.com but send me NO nominations in email - I will ignore all nominations sent in any manner than this open forum!

Please submit the geocaching name of your nominee by replying here and, if you so choose, a brief note as to why this candidate is worthy of special recognition.

Here's the coin that will be presented along with a letter of Appreciation.

Thank you,
    NatureFish
    Groundspeak Volunteer Geocache Reviewer

I nominate Nonniepoppy and Golfnuts for their OUTSTANDING caches in Clarksville and the meet and greets also.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

LadyEngineer Guest
    I nominate BackPackNJack for his wonderful MoneyMouse game, that turn into small meet and greet events.

I can't say enough for the quality of the events that NonniPoppy and Golfnutz put together.

I nominate Grandkid38 for enthusiam for the sport and for wanting to share it.

I nominate LongDogs for his behind the scene work on this site, which without, we could not be doing this.

This will be very difficult for you NatureFish because that is only four and I'm not done. I will be listing more for you to consider, because this state has some outstanding people that love geocaching and do their part to make it enjoyable for others.

This was really tough to narrow down. I hesitate to even post this list, because there are so many good folks out there, and I hate to leave people out. There are MANY geocachers that I don't really know, so I can only talk about those with which I'm familiar. (My list originally included about 15 people/teams.)

Here are my six nominations and the reason I chose them. This list is based primarily on my perception of their contribution to geocaching in Arkansas:

GolfNutz - MANY hides (often imitated but never duplicated); co-hosts the largest Arkansas event each year; quality and inginutiy of hides is unsurpassed; modest (ok, I just added this one because I think it's an important trait...)

backpacknjack - host of the MoneyMouse game, which has added new excitement to geocaching in Arkansas (specifically to ArkGeo members) by awarding cach prizes to early finders.

LongDogs - founder and webmaster of the Arkansas Geocachers Association. All of this is possible because of his efforts. Also a member of the group that lobbied to get a geocaching policy established for Arkansas State Parks.

nonnipoppy - MANY unique and innovative caches hidden; serves as steering committee member for ArkGeo;, co-hosts the largest Arkansas event each year; has a vision of making geocaching in Arkansas better.

LadyEngineer - serves as steering committee member for ArkGeo; passionate about recruiting new geocachers and educating them.
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

flannelman Guest
    Grandkid38 for placing a lot of good quality caches all over the place. Most of my finds are probably their caches. They always have good swag and they maintain their caches well.

Team Panda for really getting me started in this even though they may not realize this. I stumbled across the geocaching website and found that there was a cache within 1 mile of my home. That micro, placed by Team Panda, started my addiction to theis sport. I searched for this one before I got a gps. I just completed a very fine multi that they placed. It was both challenging and took me to some really nice places.

hot rod on foot and bike for answering all of my questions about my first cahce and for giving me a lot of good info. Also for some really good hides.

Cachemates for one of the most bothersome micros that I have ever found. I looked for it six times before I found it. All I could think about was finding that cache. I looked every morning before work. Found out that it had been muggd before anyone could find it. As soon as it was back I went back for the find. They did a lot of work to make a really great cache container.

Jerry Bonnie & Abbey have placed some really interesting caches and Jamie2 has also.

There are way too many fine cachers here to choose from.

As Gaddiel stated, I hesitate to even post a list, because there are so many great cachers in Arkansas that have add so much to Geocaching and I hate to leave anyone out.

However, I can't even imagine hearing the term "outstanding geocachers in Arkansas" without Bob and Linda, aka. the cachecrazies, coming to mind. They were geocaching long before most of us had even heard of the game. Their contributions to Geocaching in North Arkansas is without measure and are true Geocaching icons. Through their efforts, Geocaching has been recognized by the Corp of Engineers who has encouraged the placing of caches in the Corp Parks and because of their hard work and dedication, for the last two years our organization has been invited to participate in the annual Jakes Event. I can think of no one more deserving than the cachecrazies.

You certainly can't think of Arkansas Geocaching without thinking of nonnipoppy and Golfnutz. Their contribution of hiding caches and hosting events is unequaled in Arkansas. They're always eager to help others and promote Geocaching throughout Arkansas.

I could not leave out a man who has added such a twist to this game as has Backpacknjack. His MoneyMouse game is without a doubt one of the most exciting things to happen to Arkansas Geocaching since the first cache was placed here.

Another person who has added so much to this game is Grandkid38. It was through his efforts that the first official meeting of Arkansas Geocachers was organized.

In the Southwest section of Arkansas, I don't know where caching would be without Jerry, Bonnie, and Abby, aka. the Cachemates. The quality of their hides are outstanding and Jerry's talent for making containers, which he has shared around the state, is without equal.

My list goes on and on. Longdogs for his contribution of this website, Gaddiel for all his hard work helping to organize our association, topkitty, arkansas stickerdude, and LE for serving our organization so well. Geoark1 and Mrs. Geoark for their hard work helping to get Geocaching approved in our State Parks. There are so many others that I haven't mentioned and I'm just so thankful that I'm not the one having to choose six from so many dedicated and caring people.

CowboyFloyd Guest
    Howdy, new to geocaching but I have read a lot of post. It seems to me that the best choice is BPNJ. Every thing I have read about him tells me he is A man who has spent A lot of time and effort in making this a real adventure. “A MAN OF VISION“ (quote=lonesome dove

Keep love in your heart , A song on your lips & Your eyes wide open. HAVE FUN

BACKPACKNJACK Guest
    Nominating six people to be recognized for having positively influenced and promoted caching in Arkansas should be easy. Explaining why these six and trying to keep it short is going to be the hard part so please bare with me as I try to do both.
    First and foremost would be “LongDogs”. Calm, supportive, and long suffering (man has there been some discussions here on his site), he has carried the banner upon his shoulders and without this site who would even know there WERE Arkansas cachers. The thread (he he) that keeps us all connected and moving forward is this site.
    “Gaddiel“: I have said this before that he is always up on things that are happening with this site (the core of our existence), puts in a lot of work keeping it helpful and informative plus has always tried to present a positive, best foot forward portrait of caching with your family, in the natural state. All that and he still picks up trash !
    “Cachecrazies“: They will be most often tossed into the same sack but they really are two separate people, very capable, energetic, positive, if you have yet to meet them two of the most fun people to be around, but both in their own right well worthy of ambassadorships. They represent us VERY well up in north Arkansas because the Cachecrazies are a 100% class act….. of 2, who work very well with others.
    “Spanky The Wizard“: A new comer, he would sure get my nod as rooky of the year. It is easy to be recognized when you have been around since the Davy Crockett days, Spanky is just getting started. If you check out his cache ethics, posts, cache hides, and his work with the coin and patches for our group, you too will see why this young man is worth watching and well deserving.
    I was doing good up till now right? Then comes the last person I would give the nod to. There is no way that a list of the most influential cachers in our Arkansas group could not contain:
    “Nonnipoppy“: It is the people you meet and the caches you find that give you a positive or negative outlook on caching and Poppy is positive all the way, his events a perfect balance of enough structure to make it work but still loose enough to make it feel fun and inviting. Events make a very big impression.
    “Woodwalker9”:Everyone who meets him says how nice he is and how helpful he is. I introduced him at an event as the company historian and if you’ve met him you know why. He is the person you want standing up front when you are introducing people to caching. His example is the reason I chose to, and I’m still working on, showcasing a whole town.
    “Golfnutz”: It isn’t what you take from caching that makes it work and grow, it is what you give, and how can you give more then him.
    “Grandkid38”: The saturation of burns park with big old children friendly caches has drawn many tourist there and showcased one of our shining jewels in the natural state . Just read the logs to see the positive impact his caches have had.
    “Cachemates”: Positive in their persona, innovative in their caching, supportive, informative and energetic each and every time you meet them. It’s the land managers who hold the key to growth in caching and it is people like the Cachmates who can best work with them.
    “LadyEngineer”: Positive, hard working (has been accused of having no life but caching because of all her hard work), and supportive of this family and earth friendly game from day one, she is a shining example of positive influence and placing your best foot forward. We would not be where we are without her. (she is sharp as a tack too)
    About here I should say sorry for the long post but you will get no apologies from me this time except to say sorry I ran out of page long before I ran out of people to nominate.
    PS. Yes it was harder then I thought - yes I did go over 6 - yes I do understand my pay may be cut. :P

Praise from the zen master

I like the "young man" comment by BPNJ. Makes me feel like the Grecian Formula is actually working! While I like the rookie of the year nod I will defer any votes to the people that have gotten us to where we are at:

LongDogs (also helps that I actually like dachshunds)
    LadyEngineer
    nonnipoppy
    Gaddiel
    Grandkid38 (great hides, great fun and a great couple!)

Anyone can go back into the forums and read the topics and discussions that have started this association and see that no other short list is more deserving of an initial round of appreciation than the ones that weathered the storms and put up with all of the guff in getting this sport organized/recognized/homogenized in the state of Arkansas.

To that list I add BackPackNJack if for no other reason than the MoneyMouse game. Beyond that he is an interesting human being and always comes off as the genuine article.

STW

Geezer_Veazey Guest
    My nominations are:

Cachecrazies for twice taking responsibility for a booth and geocaching event in conjunction with the JAKES (Juniors Aquiring Knowledge, Ethics and Sportsmanship) fair.

Nonnipoppy for personally blazing the way with events in Arkansas. He arranged and was responsible for a location, time, sponsors, door prizes, food and new caches to hunt. I think he had help from Golfnutz also. All of this with the only incentive being to meet his fellow cachers and have a good time. I got a first-hand report that the trash-can turkeys were excellent.

Grandkid38 for not excluding the kids by flooding the place with micros, but rather putting out lots of real caches with real treasures that the kids going along with their parents will be thrilled with. Outstanding.

Woodwalker9 for his tribute to Markrocks.

Everyone who makes time to be with their kids and grandkids and take them geocaching.

Geezer