Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changes to the Geocache Listing Requirements / Guidelines

NatureFish Guest

Changes to the Geocache Listing Requirements / Guidelines

Please read the edited Geocache Listing Requirements / Guidelines found at http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

This is a summary of changes in the Geocache Listing Requirements / Guidelines document that were made today.

1. Everything about locationless, virtuals, webcams and earthcaches now appears in a new section Guidelines that Apply to Grandfathered Cache Types. Among other things:
    (1) the maintenance requirements for existing grandfathered caches remain in effect;
    (2) it's made clear that all locationless caches will be archived and locked at the end of this year; and
    (3) it's made clear that existing virtuals and webcams will remain on the site as "grandfathered."

Note: the text says "Caches which existed before August of 2005 have been allowed to remain as grandfathered caches." This was accurate when Hydee and I were writing the new draft in August, but to match reality, the sentence needs to be changed to read "November of 2005."

2. A direct "mail to" link was added for the appeals@geocaching.com e-mail address.

3. The section previously called "Off Limit (Physical) Caches" is now just called simply "Off Limit Caches," because now all new caches are either physical or they're events.

4. A sentence was added to clarify the puzzle cache requirements,
    The information needed to solve the puzzle must be available to the general caching community and should be solvable from the information provided on the cache listing.

For example, a puzzle that requires research on public websites in order to determine the coordinates may be acceptable, while a puzzle that requires sending an e-mail to the cache owner with the solution in order to obtain the coordinates may not be.
    5. The introductory part of the section called Guidelines that Apply to All Cache Types was revised significantly.
    General language about being sensible in choosing locations, marking your container, and listening to suggestions from reviewers about situations not directly addressed in the guidelines was all moved to here, instead of appearing in the "Cache Maintenance" section.

6. Also in that introductory section, the language about using a GPS was strengthened:
    You as the owner of the cache must visit the site and obtain the coordinates with a GPS. If time allows take several reading at different times over a few days and average the results. This will help you achieve greater accuracy on your coordinates. GPS usage is an essential element of geocaching. Therefore, although it is possible to find a cache without a GPS, the option of using accurate GPS coordinates as an integral part of the cache hunt must be demonstrated for all physical cache submissions.
    7. Also in that introductory section, two NEW paragraphs were added to address problems that we frequently encounter:
    If you are placing a large number of caches in connection with an event cache, to be released on the day of the event, please submit the cache pages for all of the caches at least ten days in advance of the release date. Leave a “note to reviewer” indicating that the cache is for an event, and is to be released on the date specified. This allows your reviewer adequate time to review the submissions or to arrange for help from another reviewer. (Note: Caches placed in connection with an event must be placed with the intention of leaving them in place after the event, temporary caches are not accepted.)

Your cache should be in place and ready to hunt at the time your cache page is submitted for review. If for any reason it is not ready, please either disable your cache page so that it won’t be seen by the reviewer until ready, or include a “note to reviewer” to explain your special circumstances (for example, waiting for a permit from a land manager).
    8. We added a sentence clarifying the "Cache Saturation" (528 foot) guideline:
    This guideline applies to all stages of multicaches and mystery/puzzle caches, except for any “bogus” posted coordinates for a puzzle cache.
    9. There were a few other places where stray references to virtuals, webcams, etc. were removed.

These changes go into effect immediately.
    Have fun,
    NF

NatureFish Guest

Site Changes

Some of you may not have noticed, but geocaching.com had a major release in October. Here is a summary of changes:

* If there is more than one geocoin type in a cache it shows as a stacked coin. Hovering over the coin shows the types and numbers of geocoins in the cache. This was to fix the issue where too many coins would change the look of the page.
    * Added Bookmark Lists on the cache listing's page if that cache has a shared and public bookmark.
    * Bookmark Lists now show distance to user and direction, as well as the status (archived, disabled, etc)
    * Adding a bookmark to a list now makes the bookmark list in the dropdown the default for other bookmark adds. This is great for the Google Earth feature and/or reduces the time to add bookmarks.
    * Added a public checkbox to bookmark lists to allow for listing on cache pages. Bookmark lists must be both sharable and public to be viewed on a cache page.
    * Cache Page: Changed Travel Bugs to only show 3 on the page. If there are more a link is provided to the rest. This is so the page is not overtaken on pages that have many listings at once. [EDIT] On the cache details page, the travel bug list now goes out to 20 travel bugs instead of 3 maximum bugs listed.
    * Cache Page: You must now log in before you can see coordinates for cache listings.
    * Added PQ Generation for bookmark lists and created various links around the site for generating these PQs.
    * My Account Page: Changed the placement of functions on the page to make them more readable.
    * My Account Page: Added a Premium Features section and included the Insta-Notify service.
    * New Logs: After you post a log the date is made into a default for the next log entry. This is stored in the current session and will reset after closing the browser window or being logged out.
    * Added the "view my stat bar" page to the my account section to help people build the html for the stat bar on their own web pages.
    * Updated max number of pocket queries to 40. No change on the per day pocket query creation.
    * Updated bookmark lists to 20 and bookmark list items to 100. The number will increase after we add paging to the bookmark lists page to up to 500, but for now it sits at 100.
    * Corrected an error in Bookmark Lists when the page incorrectly stated that you had exceeded your number of bookmark lists. This happened when the site didn't recognize you were logged in.
    * Pocket Queries can now be created from Bookmark Lists. It is a good way to plan out a day by adding the items to the list and creating a pocket query from them.
    * Pocket Queries: Added run options. You can now uncheck a Pocket Query after it runs for that day, delete the pocket query after it runs, or have it run every week. The default is to run once and then uncheck itself.
    * Google Earth KML features: From your account page you can run an account-specific kml file for Google Earth browsing of cache pages. You can also download a KML file from a Bookmark List, and a KML file for a Travel Bug's travels.

Minor changes
    * Moved the remember me checkbox on the login page to sit above the login button
    * The username link in the upper right corner was broken when in the /my area of the site.
    * Corrected an issue with the ampersand & getting shown incorrectly for travel bugs as '& amp'

Somebody has been busy!!!!!!!!
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

Re: Changes to the Geocache Listing Requirements / Guideline

Quote Originally Posted by NatureFish
    8. We added a sentence clarifying the "Cache Saturation" (528 foot) guideline:
    This guideline applies to all stages of multicaches and mystery/puzzle caches, except for any “bogus” posted coordinates for a puzzle cache.
    NF
    Does this mean each stage of a multi has to be 528 feet from every other stage?
    "Honey, we're not normal people. We're the Griswolds. "

NatureFish Guest

Yes

Cache Saturation

The reviewers use a rule of thumb that caches placed within .10 miles (528 feet or 161 meters) of another cache may not be listed on the site. This is an arbitrary distance and is just a guideline, but the ultimate goal is to reduce the number of caches hidden in a particular area and to reduce confusion that might otherwise result when one cache is found while looking for another. This guideline applies to all stages of multicaches and mystery/puzzle caches, except for any “bogus” posted coordinates for a puzzle cache.
    Good question - it's not clear from the way it's written - I will take it up with gc and get an answer.

NF

NatureFish Guest

Proximity

The correct interpretation is that each stage of your multi must be 528' from any established stage of another geocache; the stages of your multi do not have to be that far apart.

Stages may be less than 528' from another multi's stage, so long as they are different and cannot be confused.

For example, if stage 2 of XYZ cache is a historical marker that you must use info from to find stage 3, and stage 4 of your ABC multi is a magnetic keycase under a bench less than 528' away, it would be allowed, as cachers are not likely to mistake one for the other.

If the stage of yours and theirs are both micros, however, they'd need to be seperated to avoid confusion.

Clear as mud?
    NF

Oh by the way, for the virtual lovers out there, did you notice that, as in my example above, a virt can be a stage of a multi, so long as something at the virt site helps the finder move to the next stage? It just can't be the final or single stage! Have fun!

NF is the Virturals are going away are our numbers going to be the same or will they change and be -those we have found?

NatureFish Guest

Numbers

No, you won't lose any numbers, the existing virts will be grand-fathered (left alone) it's just that no new virts will be created.

Black Knight Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by arkansas_stickerdude
    NF is the Virturals are going away are our numbers going to be the same or will they change and be -those we have found?
    LMAO

[quote=Black Knight]
    Quote Originally Posted by "arkansas_stickerdude":208eue63
    LMAO [/quote:208eue63]

OK you sorry sack of that was a question that I was courious about if you don't have anything good to say then shut the up. If you have a problem with me feel free to call me anytime and I will be glad to work it out with you one way or another. MY NUMBER IS 479-461-9295 I don't care if your here at Charleston,AR or arround Spur,Texas!

Gladial if this gets edited I'M DONE. I'm SICK of this SOCK PUPPET account and everyone knows who it is. This is getting STUPID.

THIS POST WAS EDITED BY ME AND THATS ENOUGH!!!!!!