Thread: Freedom of Speech

BACKPACKNJACK Guest

Freedom of Speech

Freedom of Speech

My thoughts:.....(deleted..)
    BPnJ

Geezer_Veazey Guest

Freedom and Veterans

Well said, BPJ. The Veterans are responsible for our present day freedom of speech. When you get right down to it the veterans are responsible for every freedom we enjoy. The Congress could legislate round the clock but without the Veterans we in all likelyhood would not have freedom of speech. The President could proclaim one executive order after another and the Courts could adjucate until they are blue in the face, but where would we be without the veterans? Our freedoms would be trampled under the shoes of the Russians (remember Kruschev?), incinerated in the death camps of Hitler, or carried away over the oceans without the veterans. Our freedoms could even be blown away by suicide bombers without the men who are our future veterans.

I hope we never forget the beaches of Normandy and the fierce battles of the Pacific Islands. I blush to call myself a veteran for the measly little bit of peace-time service I served. Thank you, and God Bless You, Veterans

Geezer

Black Knight Guest
    As a Veteran of Desert Storm, I say very well said.
    If you love your freedom thank a Vet!!

mountainborn Guest
    Thanks BPN'J !
    I found this on another forum:
    >
    It's The Soldier

It's the soldier not the reporter who gives
    you the freedom of the press.

It's the soldier not the poet who
    gives you the freedom of speech.

It's the soldier not the campus organizer
    who allows you to demonstrate.

It's the soldier who salutes the flag,
    serves the flag, whose coffin
    is draped with the flag that allows
    the protester to burn the flag!!!

"Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands.
    Protect them as they
    protect us. Bless them and their families
    for the selfless acts they
    perform for us in our time of need.
    Amen."

NatureFish Guest

1st Amendment

Firstly, let me thank all veterans, though we are but a part of the effort that built this country and protects its rights. As a disabled veteran I am fully aware that it takes more than might to keep us free, it takes right, and it takes every one of us.

Unfortnately, this thread's existance may well reflect the failing of our educational sysem to teach folks the truth. Many people are seriously uninformed and confused as to what their rights are.

You do not have freedom of speech here, under the First Amendment, nor do you have it anywhere except under the conditions for which it was written - GOVERNMENT intervention and control.

Constitutional Courts have repeatedly applied the state-action doctrine, holding that the First Amendment protects individuals only from government curtailments of speech, not those by private entities.

Because the internet, ISPs and websites hosted by them are private individuals or companies they are not state actors. Thus, the First Amendment claims fail.

The ISP that hosts this site, the creator(s) who own it and the webmaster(s) that run it have every right, in fact a legal, ethical and moral obligation, to control what speech and acts are appropriate here and to set rules and take action against violators of those rules.

In the absence of any posted rules there is an expectation of reasonable and customary behavior and speech, meaning that taken as a whole individuals are expected to adhere to the tone and tenor of the community.

This expectation is the basis for community self-policing - if the majority of members here are courteous and respectful then that sets a reasonable expectation that everyone must act that way, and anyone choosing to violate that expectation and trust may be censored or expelled.

Your freedom, rights and benefits are too precious to be uninformed about!

Your freedom, rights and benefits on this site, at work or in any private venue are only what the non-state private owners say they are!

See http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/...topic=Internet
    for more information.

And, a periodic review of the documents that our country is based upon is always enlightening!

Have fun,
    Ed

Black Knight Guest
    [quote=Trusty_Da_Troll]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Black Knight":1xoebunx
    LMAO [/quote:1xoebunx]
    I will, leave my response to this, until I get a message from Gaddiel, since everyone was talking about sock puppet accounts.
    Anyway as for your LMAO comment, as I said I will wait to see if the Mods pull it down, and if that doesn't happen well I will take the gloves off. I proudly served my country, .................................................. .........................................

{Edited by monitor: to take out a direct attack on another member.}

One damn thing about it, you may make fun of somethings, but don't make fun of my country and my service to it.

DK

Black Knight Guest
    [quote=Trusty_Da_Troll]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Black Knight":1gzvaw2x
    LMAO [/quote:1gzvaw2x]
    Oh, yeah and to all the other Veterans who read this..............

{Edited to delete personal attack on another poster.}

DK

nonnipoppy Guest
    BPnJ thanks for you very nice insightful and respectful post. Thank you Geezer for your very respectful follow up. Great post from you Mountainborn. I appreciate DK's service to us all. Thanks NF for your input. In fact I thank ALL veterans and those that have, do, and will support them.

It is a shame that things have degenerated here to a point that caused BPnJ to feel that he should delete his post. That just ain't right.

I do find it humorous that LMAO gores the ox of the major contributor of LMAO posts.

PERHAPS the problem is past (what an optimist).Only time will tell.

Regardless Thanks to each and every veteran in this country and on this forum......poppy

midnight_cinderella Guest
    THANK YOU to the veterans who gave us this freedom of speech!! Even though some of it was deleted for various reasons, like personal attacks on other forum posters. WELL WE WOULDN'T HAVE TO ATTACK THEM IF THEY WOULD STOP SAYING SUCH STUPID THINGS.

HOORAY to the Black Knight from the Midnight Cinderella. LET 'EM HAVE IT!!

rock_hound Guest
    sockpuppet?