Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: State Geocoins

nonnipoppy Guest

State Geocoins

We need to move forward with the logo voting so we can eventually consider getting some of these.

The Georgia coin on the left was sent to me by a cache friend in Georgia and is not trackable thru GC.com. The Maryland coin was removed from a cache today and is trackable. It appears in your stats as a unique type of coin. Kinda neat huh?......poppy

Those are great I can't wait for us to get ours going.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

NatureFish Guest

Coins

Some tips if this is your first geocoin;

Use an established vendor - the poor workmanship of the cheaper online vendors who have the coins made overseas really shows up in the finished product.

Choose whether the coin will be tracked and by whom very carefully - trackable coins stay alive and moving much better than non-trackable and have much higher trade value.

Choose whether gc.com or somewhere else will track your coins. We first used travelertags.com and I personally hated the logging interface. I thought it unweildy and difficult to log coins there, and evidently others did as well, as almost all of our first year's coins quickly dissappeared. Our second batch will be loggable on gc.com and, not tooting gc's horn at all, most states are doing the same and having good results.

You have to buy, I think, 1000 numbers if they are to be tracked on gc.com, at $1.50 per number, but you don't have to use all those numbers right away, or even for geocoins. You can buy the 1000 numbers and have 500 coins minted this year and leave the balance for next year's coins, whatever.

Take time to read the ideas and experiences of other state associations.

The Georgia Geocaching Association (http://www.ggaonline.org and the Alabama Geocaching Association (http://alacache.com/modules.php?name...viewforum&f=12
    and Geocachers of Southeast Tennessee http://www.tngeocoins.com/ as well as many other states have all gone through these questions and the posts in their threads may help you with your decisions.

Whatever you decide, reserve 30 fo me! If you do gold and silver limited editions and the rest in pewter or brass, reserve for me 5 each of the limited edition and 20 standard edition.

Unlike some folks I don't take coins out of circulation and stick 'em in a box in a drawer, nor will you EVER see one of my geocoins on eBay.

I can't wait to see your coin!
    NF

Valorian Guest
    If trackable on GC.com I'd like some too while I live in TN I grew up in Ark personally out of our coins <silver, gold and pewter> I liked pewter the best, it helps colors stand out and shows details really well, where the silver/gold the detailing was harder to see.

nonnipoppy Guest
    BTW we will try to drop this Maryland geocoin in LR on friday so that others can also log it....poppy

Ltfightr Guest

State GeoCoin

I found the Maryland coin today (thanks, Poppy) and can't wait untill we have our own state coin! I will defintly order some when they come out.

State Geocoins

I for one will buy several if we can get some made up and be trackable, I think it would be great....

GACacher Guest
    Here is the second year of our GA Geocoins. FYI
    http://www.travelbugracer.com/2006CoinProofs.htm

GEO Guest
    I have gotten bit by the coin bug lately.
    Would it be all right to submit a preliminary design?

To get the special icon you have to order 1000 coins.

GEO Guest
    Just preliminary.
    I have got in touch with several others give me feedback.

Or maybe an odd shaped coin,we could be different.
    Arkansas on one side Missouri on the other.
    Also trackable at geocaching.com