Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Road Trip......

Black Knight Guest

Road Trip......

How many times when you take a road trip do you geocache? More importantly if you take a trip that is 4 or 5 states away do you log more than one? Say you went to South Dakota on a trip by air, bus, car, or bicycle, would you only log ONE geocache? Or would you hit all of the ones in that area?

Valorian Guest
    mean like last time I was in Arkansas and I only logged one possibly two caches near Booneville? depends on time like then

BACKPACKNJACK Guest
    Over the last 7 days I have flown 3,112 miles, have driven over 300 miles, and have walked 2” off my waist line.
    [insert TA DA here] I logged 4 caches.
    Hey, if it wasn’t for StickerDude climbing Sugerloaf just to get one cache, I may have set some sort of record []
    I could have done as many as I wanted to……and that is just exactly what I did do.
    I even flew to another state to sit, over looking the edge of the Grand Canyon, to have lunch with the Hualapai Indians.
    Life is good I tell ya….life is fun.
    (2" off my waist????) Yep, even when life is "ruffern a cob" it's still good, and adding caching to a trip just makes it a little bit gooder.
    I think it was Jack that said that.

Road trip

Seems that caching has made road trips a little more time consuming, but much more entertaining. There are five different routes I travel between Arkansas and Colorado. Over time, new caches pop up along each. Again, one may spend a few more hours (significant over 1,200 miles?) looking for caches, but learns more about the country through which he is travelling. Last return from Colorado through Kansas we hit 11 caches along the route.

I've made two road trips since I started caching, one to New Orleans, the other to the area southwest of Houston. I logged 4 or 5 caches on both. I travel between central and NE Arkansas to visit family once or twice a month and I have just started trying to incorporate one or two caches each trip. I have scheduled a week at the beach in Florida next summer and I'm already researching caches in the area. I think it adds interest to the trip.

Boy, if I take a road trip these days and don't do some geocaching, I'd feel like I had just wasted a trip! Then again, we don't have the budget or time to take that many road trips.

However, if I were to take a trip to, oh.. let's say, Utah, you can bet that I'd want to spend a large majority of my time there geocaching. I'd hit every cache I had time for!

By the way, my work is sending me to Salt Lake City in March. I'm supposed to be going for an IT conference, but I'm sure I'll find time to snag some caches while I'm there!

Wayne
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

On a road trip I try to do as many as the FAMILY will let me wich is usually 1 or 2. hahaha
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

LadyEngineer Guest
    I always try to do at least one when on a trip but it usually depends on who is with me on the trip.

When I took the girls and my mother on last spring break to Florida, I ended up only doing 4 caches the entire week and all where in Florida near one sister's house.

If Strider869 had gone and my mom hadn't, we would have at least got one in each state as we passed through.

We do most of our traveling as a family in state. We usually plan where we're going then figure out what caches are there. It just depends on the girls how many of them we actually get. If it were up to Strider869 and me, we would get all of them in the area we where staying at if it meant we cached 24/7.

LE

Quote Originally Posted by LadyEngineer
    We usually plan where we're going then figure out what caches are there.
    Don't you have that backward?
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

Gaddiel, we found a couple of caches on Antelope Island in Great Salt Lake a couple of years ago. Now that's a cool location for caches.

That same trip out west was our first vacation after we discovered Geocaching. In fact, we had only found one cache at the time. We found our second cache just off the interstate in the middle of Kansas. We didn't know it at the time, but that is the oldest active cache in existance.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 9216caae07
    "Honey, we're not normal people. We're the Griswolds. "