Thread: I am disapointed also

I am disapointed also

Quote Originally Posted by twooldcrows
    We where disappointed it in how the player in the Northern and northwest playing the game. Is not fun. Too much competition and friction between players. This is no fun Geocaching. Cachers in this area compete who can put better caches and next time you know they hate each other.
    I agree with Twooldcrows. I am disappointed in how some others are playing this game also.

Do you realize there are some players that have over 500 finds and less than 5 hides. How many finds would these players have if everyone else placed so few caches? The best way most of us can give back to this game is to place caches for others to enjoy. But, I guess that's one way to keep other cachers from "running up their numbers".

And another thing.

Several weeks ago some out of town cachers came through and found a bunch our of caches. Every one of the logs read the same thing. We spend a lot of time and effort placing caches (which we love to do), but they couldn't take the time or effort to write two sentences. They just copied and pasted the same log entry over and over. They even logged how they "enjoyed the hike" on our caches that are drive up. Now that tells me it's all about the numbers.

But I must respectfully disagree with some points. I don't see any friction among cachers, except perhaps for the occasional Troll in the forums. I think the so called "competition" to place better caches is very good for the game.

I remain firm that I have never met a fellow cacher that I didn't like.
    "Honey, we're not normal people. We're the Griswolds. "

Valorian Guest
    Not knowing how many the people found, I can understand your point. but if they found 100+ over a day or two it's hard to remmber what happened at each cache to make it more personal and my handwriting even if I wrote every little thing down doesnt mean I'll be able to read it when I got home

Laptops RULE! Thats why I type everything into GSAK in the laptop, this way when I get home I just copy and paste into GC.com.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

Valorian Guest
    If you have one cool I dont

mountainborn Guest
    Previous post:
    We where disappointed it in how the player in the Northern and northwest playing the game.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    I found out about geocaching, got a GPS, started caching.
    It was slow going at first, but it was fun.
    Almost everybody on this board has been encouraging and helpful.
    Now I am worried that I might be caching in such a manner that it causes someone disapointment.
    Is there a board or committe that examines someone's caching habits and passes judgement on them ?
    Is it a rule that each cacher must observe the caching habits of others and decide if they are caching in an ethical manner ?
    If I find too many caches will I be criticized ?
    I do not want to diminish my caching pleasure by having to be critical of my fellow cacher.
    I do not want to be criticized for not caching in a "PROPER" manner.

NatureFish Guest

Control

I found out about geocaching, got a GPS, started caching.
    It was slow going at first, but it was fun.
    Almost everybody on this board has been encouraging and helpful.
    That's how most of us got started, and the boards are still fun and encouraging, once you've read them enough to learn to ignore the occassional troll.
    Now I am worried that I might be caching in such a manner that it causes someone disapointment.
    You'll never please everybody - Play the game the way you enjoy it!
    Is there a board or committe that examines someone's caching habits and passes judgement on them ?
    No
    Is it a rule that each cacher must observe the caching habits of others and decide if they are caching in an ethical manner ?
    Nope, but you wouldn't believe how many cachers want it done 'their way'! They watch others like a hawk, as if looking for something to get upset over. This is actually a tricky question, though, since there are no geocaching police we must police ourselves, meaning that folks that fail to respect caches and cachers will be seen by their peers.
    If I find too many caches will I be criticized ?
    Yes, but then in a public forum like this you'll be criticised if you find too few, hide too many or too few, wear blue jeans instead of khaki or whatever. Read the criticism, some of it might help, and let the silly stuff roll on by.
    I do not want to diminish my caching pleasure by having to be critical of my fellow cacher.
    My Daddy said "If you don't have anything good to say, don't say it!" It's always worked for me!
    I do not want to be criticized for not caching in a "PROPER" manner.
    Great! Since there IS no such thing as a proper manner of caching, you're in good shape! So long as you treat caches and cachers with respect nobody's criticism is important!