Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brand New GPS Satellite Launch on Wednesday

Brand New GPS Satellite Launch on Wednesday

From SlashDot:

The first GPS 2R-M satellite has launched from Cape Canaveral, Florida on top of a Boeing Delta 2 rocket. The government is now competing with Europe's Galileo system, and has added two additional military channels and one civilian channel, which will increase the accuracy and performance of GPS - as well as increase its resistance to jamming.

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/delta/d31 ... eview.html
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

thenaturenurd Guest

slash dot

you are such a slashdot nerd wayne...good article.

That was a great article.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

Phantom_491 Guest
    From AFNews:
    Air Force successfully launches GPS satellite

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. (AFPN) -- The Air Force's 45th Space Wing, its mission partners and Boeing successfully launched a Global Positioning System satellite into orbit on a Delta II space launch vehicle at 11:37 p.m. Sept. 25.

The GPS constellation provides continuous, precise three-dimensional location information -- including latitude, longitude and altitude -- velocity and exact time to worldwide users. The satellite launched should be fully checked-out and operational in about four weeks.

"This next generation GPS satellite joins a constellation that continues to play an enormous role on the Global War on Terror, ensuring U.S. warfighters and our allies have the technology and advantage in an unconventional war," said Col. Mark Owen, 45th Space Wing commander. "This 'M-Code' GPS satellite is a milestone -- a new military and civil signal that represents the U.S. commitment to continuous improvement of positional knowledge and precise timing to all customers."

The vision of the 45th Space Wing is to provide the world's most responsive, reliable and cost-effective access to space; and the mission is to assure access to the high frontier and to support global operations, the colonel said.

"This success is a tribute to the men and women of the joint Air Force and industry launch team and marks another major milestone in the storied history of the Delta II launch vehicle," Colonel Owen said.

BACKPACKNJACK Guest
    I’ve been looking forward to the new, More Powerful GPS satellites because :
    I will not have to change the cords to my caches when the leaves come out.
    I can use my GPS to find the restroom when the electricity goes out.
    My Deluxe Model aluminum foil cap will now serve a dual purpose.
    We can now keep up our tans through the winter.
    []
    PS. Know what the difference between a “SlashDotNerd”, a “NatureNurd” and just a plain old “Natural Nerd” is ???
    Do
    You
    Think
    It
    Is
    Maybe
    Just
    The
    Spelling? []
    (well you did start it []
    Thanks “Gaddiel”, I was wondering when they would fire those up.

thenaturenurd Guest

spelling

Yes prob just the spelling Jack...I am such a big nerd its not even funny.

BACKPACKNJACK Guest
    Well “Naturenurd” I guess a nerd is just someone who knows a lot about some subject like computers, airplanes, coin collecting, corvettes, etc. and I was just wondering what would make you a nerd back in the Davy Crockett days or maybe the Cave Man days???

cachecrazies Guest
    BACKPACKNJACK Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:34 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well “Naturenurd” I guess a nerd is just someone who knows a lot about some subject like computers, airplanes, coin collecting, corvettes, etc. and I was just wondering what would make you a nerd back in the Davy Crockett days or maybe the Cave Man days???
    So tell us Jack, you should know a lot about this. How are dinosour steaks as compared to modern day beef steaks? And how's the best way to cook them, you caveman nerd!

And how do you marinate "meeses"?

Since we all know a lot about something - I guess that makes us all nerds of some kind or other!!! LOL!

BACKPACKNJACK Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cachecrazies
    And how do you marinate "meeses"?
    Quote Originally Posted by BackpacknJack
    My Deluxe Model aluminum foil cap will now serve a dual purpose.

thenaturenurd Guest

Frontier Nerds

Well I think most of the outdoorsman such as Davy Crockett were nerds because it was part of their survival. They knew alot about a variety of subjects cause life was hard back then...I imagine that was true even more so in man's early days. The first nerds probably invented fire

Craig