Thread: New Guy from Russellville

zcooney Guest

New Guy from Russellville

Hello all!

Let me introduce myself, I am Zac Cooney, a 2nd year student at Arkansas Tech University. I live on campus in the lovely city of Russellville, but my permenant residence is in Northern Virginia.

I had heard of geocaching before, but never really committed to trying it out till a couple days ago. I was gathering some information for a Labor Day weekend hike (im a big hiking nut) when I rediscovered the hobby. Digging a little deeper, I found this site.

As far as gear goes, I bought a Garmin GPS 40 and a Maggellin GPS 300 on ebay for $30 each. Hopefully they arrive before Friday so I can start caching.

I am still lacking a decent map though, does anyone know of a store I can find a map at? I think I shall try the National Park Admin building here in Russellville tomorrow.

Can't wait to hit the trails this weekend, maybe i'll see a few of y'all.

What kind of maps are you looking for?
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

zcooney Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by arkansas_stickerdude
    What kind of maps are you looking for?
    A topo map with trails, landmarks, etc. Maybe even some less-travelled roads.

LadyEngineer Guest
    Welcome Zac,

Have you looked at the Arkansas Atlas & Gazetteer by DeLorme. It has GPS grided topo maps of the entire state with back roads and outdoor recreation. You can get one at most Wal-Marts. It is not fold up put in your pocket but it is very handy. You can check out their website at: http://www.delorme.com

LE

thenaturenurd Guest

Delorme

Delorme Arkansas Atlas is definitely the way to go.

Of course there are some pretty neat software packages out their you print topo's from as well.

Craig

nonnipoppy Guest
    Welcome Zack. For paper maps you might check on the USGS Quad maps. They cover a small area but are the bee's knees for topo and old roads. The National Geographic TOPO maps software are actually the quad maps on computer. Since I am in Clarksville, you can give me a call and I can show them to you. I have some of them at work.

W - 479 754 - 2000 Cell 479 979 - 4442. Ask for Max........poppy