Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ask Your Reviewer!

There isn't exactly a question for the reviewer in there I can find, but as far as weather-proof clear containers you could try a pelican case. Kayakers and open-boaters (canoes) use them to keep things dry on the river, but they might be a little pricey for most people to use for hiding things in the woods. I've never seen even a small one that was less than $10 and the ones the size of ammo cans are closer to $20.

Team_Pink Guest
    I ask the reviewer due to his extensive contact and exposure to the various containers used as cache containers.

I'll take my question to another forum.

NatureFish Guest

Container

I get Google Alerts on the topic Geocaching. A large majority of the headlines are something to the effect of "Geocaching - Gamers or Terrorists" . I think the day will come when some stupid person will use a Geocache in a bad way and will severly affect the game. It may not be a bad idea to look at the guidelines and prohibit ammo cans. But that leaves us, me at least, without a good waterproof container. I don't have many finds, but I have never found a wet cache in an ammo can.

What is the best "clear" waterproof container that you have seen, heard of, etc.? I would switch now if I had an alternative.
    The most common behind ammo-boxes would be the plastic Lok-N-Lok containers. These have a gasket seal and four flanges that flip down and lock. Wal-Mart sells three sizes nested one-inside-another for about $4. - watertight and will last quite a long while.

As far as negative press and fretting over bomb-squads being called to caches, yes, it happens, no, it's not common, and as our game becomes more known it happens less and less.

Of MAJOR importance here is, of course, permission - if you have permission to place the cache then the container type really doesn't matter!

Explosives Ordinance Disposal professionals are well-trained and well-informed. Part of their continuing education is a series of messages and bulletins that go out nation-wide, indeed world-wide. Geocaching has been and continues to be talked about in these in-house training and information publications and all EOD experts will by now be quite familiar with our game and hides.

That doesn't mean they won't destroy a few - they will - Darwin's Law tells us that bomb-squad technicians who go ahead and pick up a suspect container just because it has a geocaching.com sticker on it won't be part of our gene pool for long!

Here's the deal - negative publicity is loud. It gets attention, it gets published, it gets commentary. It is designed to excite, to upset, to involve the reader, to get you to keep reading the news. Truth has little to do with it. That's why Rush Limbaugh has a larger audience than, say, NPR's Prarie Home Companion. If people can get het up and focused on 'the news' it means they don't have to look inward to their own lives!

Positive publicity, however, is much quieter.

At the moment there are 236695 active caches in 220 countries.

Maybe 5 a year get blown up.

There are dozens of articles written weekly about the positive aspects of geocaching.

I see less than 10 a year that are negative... though those 10 get told and retold ad infinitum in various versions.

It's not a crises, it's not even a blip on the radar.

Need Something To Worry About??

The Department of Labor reports 5703 deaths from on-the-job accidents.

The FAI/IPC reports that a total of 245,162 parachute jumpers made 4,848,025 jumps. 74 died, which makes 1 fatality per 65,513 jumps. Preliminary research gives a ratio of 1:64 091.

The State of Alabama reported 1,154 highway deaths and nationally 42,636 deaths from vehicle accidents were reported.

Of those Alabama reports that 508, or 44%, were attributable to speeding, at a cost to the state of $534 Million.

Of the 508 deaths and $534 Million dollars it is estimated that half would be saved by simply wearing a seatbelt.

Now:
    Number of fatalities attributed to geocaches: 0
    Number of geocaches found to be bombs: 0
    Number of caches discovered to actually be drugs hidden in the woods: 0
    Number of bomb-squad-examined caches found to contain illegal items: 0
    Number of bomb-squad techs that are gonna go pick up a suspect container because it's clearly marked as a geocache: 0 (or if there are any Darwins Law will weed 'em out!)

If we just have to worry and fret, let's at least worry over what's real!

Ammo boxes are no danger to our game and are still the best container to be found!

Ed

Team_Pink Guest

Ammo cans it is!

Thanks for putting everything into perspective! I was becoming disenchanted with the headlines and it's good to know that law enforcement and other government agencies are being made aware of our game.

Thats funny and I like my odds at geocaching and Skydivin!!!!!! LOL
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

Geezer_Veazey Guest

The 1/10th mile rule

Is the 1/10 mile requirement between caches hard and fast? If the same person owns both caches is it permitted. I would like to place a second cache on my property that would be about 100 - 140 feet from the first. I have already asked myself if I minded and the answer was 'No, I didn't mind'.

OK or not OK? I'm not asking for special consideration - just want to know the rules. Thanks for your help.

Geezer

NatureFish Guest

Distance

As the property owner you can do pretty much as you please on it - since owner permission trumps guidelines almost every time!

The main concern is that cachers be able to distinguish one from the other and not log the wrong cache.

Have fun,
    Ed

Team_Pink Guest
    There seems to be a lot of discussion on Geocaching.com about caches on a route. I am thinking about going to Oregon next summer and would like to plan caches all the way there and back. From the forums, Google Earth seems to be the only way to do this and it is very time cosuming.

Two questions:

Do you know if Jeremy and crew are planning on offering a way to do this often requested feature?

How do YOU plan a multi-state route?

NatureFish Guest

Route

Do you know if Jeremy and crew are planning on offering a way to do this often requested feature?
    Yes, it's on the way, no, I don't have an ETA.

It's after midight, and I am just leaving the Great Smokey Mountain GeoQuest weeked event in Knoxville TN headed home to Birmingham.

I will try to point you to some other ways to do it when I get home, in the meantime run a Google search for "geocaches on along route"...that should find several ways to do it - none easy!

Team_Pink Guest
    I got all the tricks EXCEPT getting the caches into GSAK. I need Pocket Queries, lots of Pocket Queries!

I have considered trying to get a list of other states Geocaching Associations like ours and see if I could get someone from each state to send me their GSAK database. What do you think the chances of that are? It would be good if we could get a process setup to get each state association to provide this for other states. Put them all on an FTP server or even just provide via email if nothing else. I would volunteer to do Arkansas. I have pocket queries created that cover the state and gets refreshed every week. It would not be a big deal to make that available to cachers from other states. They could then load it and filter for whatever route they might be traveling in Ark.