Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Annual JAKES event

cachecrazies Guest

2nd Annual JAKES event

Hooray! 2nd Annual JAKES event is up and posted - and we're looking for volunteers, ideas & suggestions! The gc number is: GCQ0DQ if you want to check it out.

For those of you that aren't familiar with JAKES - this is sponsored by the Wild Turkey Federation and it stands for "Juniors Acquiring Knowledge, Ethics & Sportsmanship".

Geocachers have been invited (for the 2nd year) by the Army Corps of Engineers to participate and hold demonstrations for all age groups that attend.

We had a great time last year and hope that this year is even bigger and better. The turnout of geocachers from the ArkGeo group was terrific! Enjoyed seeing all of you! And want to see all of you again and lots of new faces!

Phantom gets the first poster award on this one - we're not sure what it is yet but we'll try to come up with something! Maybe just a gold star!

Just wanted to give you a heads-up in case you hadn't seen it on gc.com

Bob and Linda

For anyone who missed this event last year, let me say you missed a great time. I believe the Geocaching booth was one of the most visited of the whole event. Bob and Linda (cachecrazies) did a great job bringing it all together in a very short amount of time and I know that this years event will be bigger and better than ever. I can hardly wait. Hope to see you there.

Phantom_491 Guest

Re: 2nd Annual JAKES event

Quote Originally Posted by cachecrazies
    Hooray! 2nd Annual JAKES event is up and posted - The gc number is: GCQ0DQ if you want to check it out.

Phantom gets the first poster award on this one - we're not sure what it is yet but we'll try to come up with something! Maybe just a gold star!
    I had a blast at this event last year, and as soon as I saw this year's event pop up, I knew I had to post my intentions.

Bob, I'll bring some of the differnt cache container ideas I have, or are working on, and will probably place a couple Temp caches for the event.

Nature Fish, Think it would be possible for us to get a L.O.T.E.C. (Log Only Temporary Event Cache) page for logging the temporary event caches? SLAGA (ST Louis Area Geocachers, for those that don't know) has one and it works great for their events, (of course they usually have 30+ Temp Event caches).

Just a couple ideas.

nonnipoppy Guest

Re: 2nd Annual JAKES event

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom_491
    Quote Originally Posted by cachecrazies
    Nature Fish, Think it would be possible for us to get a L.O.T.E.C. (Log Only Temporary Event Cache) page for logging the temporary event caches? SLAGA (ST Louis Area Geocachers, for those that don't know) has one and it works great for their events, (of course they usually have 30+ Temp Event caches).

Just a couple ideas.

We have a cache hidden that accomplished that purpose at our event last Jan. It is quite zippily named "The Logging Cache" GCMGTT. I would be happy for it to be moved to the Jakes Event for that purpose if we could get GC cooperation and I have no reason to believe we would get anything else. Our attendence awaits scheduling issues.....poppy

Last years event was awsome and I'm glad I could be part of it. I'm hopeing to make it to the event this year also.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

cachecrazies Guest
    All the ideas sound great!

The logging page would be terrific - hopefullly there will be several temporary caches to find! Several short caches for the kids to go on (and a few longer ones) would spice things up! There was only the one cache in the park last year - and it was a hard one!

Looking forward to your new hiding techniques, Phantom! And all of others that come up from everyone!

The Corps has already commented that the geocaching booth drew as much (or more) attention than others that were out there last year - just think what we can do this year! How many more muggles we can convert!

If anyone has any ideas about a demonstration, please feel free to suggest it.

NatureFish Guest

Camp

This looks like a good chance to meet some folks, so I will come and camp for the weekend. Hopefully someone will want to do a bit of geocaching after the event - I love night-caching, especially in the summer!

Any other campers with info on nearby camping are encouraged to share information with me.

As far as the questions asked me above in this thread, they were asked and answered in the affirmative by email.

You are right in saying that temporary event caches can't be logged on geocaching.com. However, the owner of the event has control over how the event can be logged - many event hosts have temporary caches and allow attendees to log the event for attending and then log it again for each temp cache found.

See y'all there.
    NF

WOOOOHOOOOO we finally get to see who NF is.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

BACKPACKNJACK Guest
    See Ya!
    (if you need anything E me)

nonnipoppy Guest
    poppy and Golf will be in the house. We are looking forward to meeting new cachers and meeting new ones.....poppy