Thread: TV gps

grandkid44 Guest

TV gps

I would like to see us have another heading on our main page for forums, i.e., ' whats' new in gps technology, to be a purely tech subject, such as, questions from new cachers, folks like me that can't get their pda to transfer coordinates, and updates for future gps changes . There are many logging into this site trying to find answers .
    Some of you could give me suggestions on connecting my pda that would help a bunch of folks.
    There is a dramatic new development coming quickly to gps , called TVgps to be installed in trucks in 2006. As you know
    current satellite gps works poorly in a city . with bumper to bumper connections in a vehicle dead rekoning is used, not satellite.
    TV gps will work by triangulating tv antennae , and , will be mostly for city use. There are 2800 antennae in cities., each producing 12,500 kilowats ; satellites yield 500 watts , ergo a 2000 fold increase in power. In 2006 trucks will tracked into terminals , garages, undrground loading docks, as well as through streets hidden by tall buildings. This is being developed by rosum corporation , to be produced by gps giant Trimble in Sunnyvale , California. Initially deployed in 1978 there is real concern the current gps satellites could fail ; Bush has pushed a go ahead on this new technology. Police are especially intrested in the ability to track parolees , sex offenders, and others.
    Currently , the device is too large for hand-held , but , the goal is to eventually have it in telephones. Cost projections ??????? This would open an entire new kind of gaming.
    Again , I would like to see a forum devoted %100 to technology.

An interesting idea. I'll see if the committee can discuss it with LongDogs.

As I'm sure you can imagine, it would not be practical to have a separate forum for every subject, as the site would soon become unwieldy and unmanageable. However, on the other hand, not all the forums we currently have are fully being utilized by our members.
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

BACKPACKNJACK Guest

Re: TV gps

Quote Originally Posted by grandkid38
    I would like to see us have another heading on our main page for forums, i.e., ' whats' new in gps technology, to be a purely tech subject, such as, questions from new cachers, folks like me that can't get their pda to transfer coordinates, and updates for future gps changes . There are many logging into this site trying to find answers .
    Some of you could give me suggestions on connecting my pda that would help a bunch of folks.
    I agree GK. I have been trying to get this done for a long time now, calling it a [GEOCACHING HELP STATION] with pinned sub topics (just like all the other BBs including GC.) [GPSrs], [PDAs], [Software], [Placing caches in Ark], etc. There is some good helpful advice buried on this site and not everone is able to remember where it is at when needed. Your tech post would fit very well there and I'm glad someone else is bringing it up again.
    I have also suggested that the moderator move some post to the appropriate thread, maybe leaving a note [This post has be moved to xxxx by the moderator to be more easily found]

Don't forget about the FAQ section, which is meant to be a storehouse for these kinds of things. I've taken many of the things to which BPnJ referred, such as buried posts, and put them in the FAQ for everyone (especially people who are new to the site) to find easily. I've been (S-L-O-W-L-Y) working on this section, but we hope to eventually have lots more things in there.

By the way, if anyone has any ideas that might be good things to include in the FAQ, please send me the information, so I can add it to my list. Also, if you have a hankerin' to do some writing, we'd love to have some informational-type articles written by ArkGeo members!!!
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

GK do you have a webpage with all this information on it? I would like to read mo into it. Right now I can track my truck over the internet and unlock and lock it, I can also disable the starter.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

grandkid44 Guest
    This information re tv-gps was gleaned mostly from a review article in the current ' popular science ' magazine . I obtained some additional information from an investment firm when I looked at a stock purchase. The tv-gps will track trucks even in underground terminals . Some of the top performing stocks have been in gps related fields . Truck hi-jacking as portrayed in the movie ' goodfellows ' has declined dramatically with the advent of gps. I have been told that a major trucking firm in Arkansas is on board for the new tv-gps. My understanding is that standard gps will be used via interstates and tv-gps will be automatically triggered when in metropolitan areas . There is genuine concern that our aging satellite gps system could fail .