Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arkansas State Park Caches

thenaturenurd Guest

Arkansas State Park Caches

Ok I put to use the bookmark function on Geocaching.com to make a list of all geocaches in Arkansas State Parks as of today. Surprisingly some of them do not have a permit. Anyways if one is interested in such things here is the bookmarked list below. Please let me know if I left any out. Oh yeah, I know I have too much free time on my hands. This is sort of work related so I did some of this today at work.

Arkansas State Park Caches You do have to be logged into GC.com to use the bookmark lists but regular and premium members can view them. Feel free to rate my list.

Anyways hope you enjoy!

Craig

Very good idea to do this, park guy!

Thanks for your work and yes, way too much time on your hands!

thenaturenurd Guest

hehe course i do

It didnt take long to get a good list going. Its a pretty neat feature really.

Craig

What a great IDEA
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

mountainborn Guest

application ?

Where does one actually apply for a permit to place a cache in a state park ?
    Can it be done on line ?
    Is it a complicated process ?
    The Cossatot River State Park and natural area is nearby and I would like to place a couple of caches there.

Re: application ?

Quote Originally Posted by mountainborn
    Where does one actually apply for a permit to place a cache in a state park ?
    There is a permit form in the downloads section of this web site. You'll need to complete the form and take it to the park with you when you go to hide the cache.

Can it be done on line ?
    As far as I know, there's not really a way to do this online yet...

Is it a complicated process ?
    Not complicated at all! The form is very basic information. The hardest part is getting together with someone that works at the park to go with you to hide the cache. (They will probably want to see where it is hidden.) You will also need to renew the paperwork every year.
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

thenaturenurd Guest

Cossatot

Mountainborn,

Take your filled out permit to the visitor center along with your cache container and items to be put into it. I imagine they will want to examine what is being put into their park. I have placed two in the park i work for. I told the superintendent (who also happens to be my boss) where i wanted to hide these. He was fine with it. I maintain them myself. The main concern for state parks is not placing these caches where they will cause environmental damage and things of that nature.

The people who would be responsible for the cache placement at Cossatot would be either Stan Speight, Park Superintendent or Mike Farringer, Park Ranger. Good luck!

cachemates Guest
    mountainborn
    We went to the Cossatot State Park last fall and talked with the ranger about placing a cache there. They didn't seem to know a lot about geocaching but they said they didn't mind us placing one there. They told us to go find a cache site. ( They preffered on a trail ). I just couldn't find the right place that day so we just decided to look elsewhere.

They have one of the prettiest visitor centers around. It wasn't completed the day we were there but they wanted to show us around. I don't think you will have any trouble getting a cache placed there.

We enjoyed your caches today.

Jerry&Bonnie

MaxCacher Guest
    Gravity Cavity GC6E6A has been archive because of not getting a needed state park permit. All other caches in the state parks at this time have a permit.

The last thing we want is to put a black mark against geocaching, after the great folks with the state parks worked very long and hard to get a permit system in place.

The container will need to be picked up by anyone as not to become geo-litter, the cache owner must not want it or care.

Max Cacher
    Geocaching.com Volunteer Cache Reviewer // Moderator

thenaturenurd Guest

Gravity Cavity

Technically Gravity Cavity is on Forest Service property but accessed from a State Park trailhead.