View Poll Results: When did you start geocaching?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Before 2001

1 3.70%

4 14.81%

7 25.93%

9 33.33%

6 22.22%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When did you start geocaching?

nonnipoppy Guest
    In the face of advice that said "You should never get into a p---ing contest with a skunk". I have decided to make a comment about some of the recent discussions. Please forgive me RockHound for hijacking your thread.

We live in America and we are blessed with the opportunity to do as we please about many things. A very tiny part of that is to be able to play this game as we each choose.

If we can go from this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer_Veazey
    ........140 cache finds is not a lot for two full years of geocaching. This may be hard for some to understand, but there is more to life than geocaching.
    and then do this:

Quote Originally Posted by cachcrazies
    ..........Geocaching soon took over our lives and we were traveling every weekend to find caches!
    It is an individual choice. Just like smoking or drinking. Each person is guaranteed the right in this country to make those choices. You can choose to play as YOU want.

Then would some please answer for me what difference it makes how many cache finds we each have.

There seems to be a great deal of time spent worrying about the cache find numbers of other players.

If a couple gets interested in motorsports and chooses to stay in front of the Speed Channel and watch at least two races each day, are the guilty of running up their race count? You can insert any pastime you choose into this analogy it is about the same difference.

Some people are more addicted than others. Some are more involved in other things. But so what? If you do not like another cachers find count do not look to see what it is. If our find count is a problem for you then please email or private message me and we will avoid your caches so you do not have to see the logs.

We enjoy caching. We also work lots of hours. When we are not working we are very possibly caching and will continue to do so as long as it is what WE choose to do.

Criticism of the way others choose to play has no constructive place on this forum.

Sheesh..........poppy

April of 2003.

A guy I work showed me the GPS he got for Christmas. Since we travel a lot (big surprise heh), I though it would come in handy. About the same there was an article in the Demazette about Geocaching. Ellen read it and wanted to try it. We found a cache only a few minutes away at Bona Dea Trails. At that time, however, I think the next closest cache was at Mt Nebo, a good 45 mintues away.

In May we were headed out west on the Annual Griswold Family Vacation. We found some caches along the way and were hooked. As it so happens, the second cache we ever found along the Interstate in Kansas is the oldest active cache in existance.

As an aside, I totally agree with Poppy's last post. I can't understand why people worry about the way others play this great game.
    "Honey, we're not normal people. We're the Griswolds. "

Geezer_Veazey Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nonnipoppy
    ...We live in America and we are blessed with the opportunity to do as we please about many things. A very tiny part of that is to be able to play this game as we each choose.... It is an individual choice. Just like smoking or drinking. Each person is guaranteed the right in this country to make those choices. You can choose to play as YOU want....Criticism of the way others choose to play has no constructive place on this forum.

Sheesh..........poppy
    Well said, poppy, well said. And at the risk of being redundant I'll say it again: Well said.

There is a way to stop flamers in their tracks, most of the time. That way is for no one to reply to their posts... Zero replies. That means everyone...Absolutely No Replies. Think about it. Choose any of the inflamatory posts that have been made recently. If there had been zero replies, they would have been long forgotten.

Sheesh.........

Thanks for the expression, poppy. That rolls out pretty good.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer_Veazey
    There is a way to stop flamers in their tracks, most of the time. That way is for no one to reply to their posts... Zero replies. That means everyone...Absolutely No Replies. Think about it. Choose any of the inflamatory posts that have been made recently. If there had been zero replies, they would have been long forgotten.
    Geezer, you are absolutely right on. I have been guilty of "feeding the trolls" from time to time, but restraint is a sign of maturity, and has proven to be an effective course. Great advice that we all need to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by nonnipoppy
    Criticism of the way others choose to play has no constructive place on this forum.
    Poppy, I share your view on this, and I couldn't agree more.

Getting back to Rock Hound's original question, I wanted to add that reading the replies from others has made me remember some of my first experiences with geocaching. There were several Arkansas geocachers that helped us out when we first started (most are members here), and I appreciate their patience. Even though I was full of dumb questions and ideas, they were still encouraging and helpful.

I found this answer your question about when GC.com went live:

In July of 2000, Jeremy Irish found Mike Teague's web site and found his first cache outside of Seattle, Washington. Recognizing the potential of the game (but never expected the growth), Jeremy approached Mike Teague with a new site design, used the name Geocaching, and developed a new web site adding virtual logs, maps, and a way to make it easier to maintain caches as the sport grew. The site was alive for a while, but the official torch was passed to Jeremy on September 6.
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

I agree with Poppy.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

grandkid44 Guest

geocaching with a garmin 40

We actually began playing a geocaching game with our grandchildren in the late 90s . We have explored the Ouachita forest extensively since 1990 and bought an early gps for tracking . We would place a flag ,ie ribbon, and see if we could return to find the sucker, or, place one and dare one of the kids to find using the gps , all in an effort to keep them from getting lost on future trips . I read about official geocaching in 2002 in the Wall St Journal , saw the web-site and began going after the very few available at that time. We rarely geocache without our kids or going with friends . My totally precious little Alex is a veteran geocacher but refuses to go if its too hot. She is 4 1/2 , and , in my unbiased opinion , one of the neatest kids on the planet . Bryce , my shadow and running buddy,is almost six ; he likes to geocache from a 4 wheeler . Both are easily distracted . They have found and refound blu beards , squealing with delight on every occassion : ransacking with glee . We cache , build camp-fires ,roast dogs n smores ,nap by big red-oaks, and they listen patiently to poppys yarns...they love my story of walking 5 miles to school through three feet of snow, uphill both ways . even in the summer. We swim in streams , throw rocks , build imaginary castles and hunt saber tooth tigers. We have eaten some of mountainborns MREs . They have found indian arrow-heads and zillions of crystals. I buy iron pyruvite locally and seed areas for them to find 'gold'. I did'nt learn about ark geo till 2004 and when we signed on we were number 50. As it should be , we all have our own reasons and goals for geocaching ; ours is family n' friends .

TeamMGGPS Guest
    I have been a member of GC.com June 2001. I know it said before 2001 on the poll but the next category was 2002.
    My first find was Dec 2001. "Not The Elbow" by Solohiker.
    (Edited to add) Oh and if you think 140 finds in 2 years is low how about 85 finds in over 4 years. But hey this year I'm really going to get with it and break 100

Pignewton Guest
    April of 2005 here. 1st cache was Clark's Vacation Pit Stop. I was using a borrowed GPSr and we had discovered the GC.com website after I said I was wanting to get a GPSr for use on fishing trips and we started looking up other uses. Unfortunately, I didn't get to buy the GPSr because they decided it looked fun also..haha! I did get my hands on a GPS 2000! Wow..was that thing bad..hehe 60ft accuracy in a field was good. It only carried the decimel 2 places also. I found probably my first 20 or so with it and decided I had to get a decent GPSr. Now using a Magellan Explorist 300 and really like it except the manual entry only on it. Oh well, live and learn. I have to say I agree with Poppy of Nonnipoppy. I used to stay on my computer for many, many hours at a time but now I stay in the woods or on the road for some of those hours..hehe. Some don't understand that even though they don't see how anyone could spend that much time doing their hobby, they probably spend a lot of time doing something that someone else couldn't comprehend doing for a very long period. Like watch baseball on tv....snore.......or Nascar.....zzzZZZZZzzzzzzz...

Thanks for the poll!

arkhiker Guest
    I heard about Geocaching in June (2005) from a friend, canoe guy, in Tennessee. He told me about the hobby, and I went to the website while still on the phone with him. At the time, niether of us had ever been on an actual hunt. I saw a cache that looked like an easy find even without the GPSr, and immediately went out searching. I found it and have been addicted ever since.
    I actually kind of hijacked this fine pasttime from canoe guy, who was still waiting to buy his GPSr while I was out locating my tenth (or so) cache.

Now, when is someone going to start a thread for new geocaching addicts who estrange their spouses to trek off into the woods to find a box of stuff hidden under sticks and rocks?!?

twooldcrows Guest
    We posted, that we are going to stay away from the forum, but: We found our first cache @ Blue Mountain, GCH3PV. November 24, 2003 by twooldcrows (581 found)
    Our very first cache... nonnipoppy stopped by to take a photo of our birdhouse and set us on to the chase... This is about 1.5 miles from our home so it was our first choice.. My husband was so set on finding the GPS location of he took thru the woods straight thru the briar patches... he left me way back along the way ...I am a native and was looking for snakes and a trail around the briars.... After yelling awhile we found each other. He of course was transfixed on the GPS locator me looking down for crawlies... He had step on the cache three or four times and never saw it... I spotted it first off.... Ha. Ha. What fun...we are hooked... Birdhouses for locationless cache.
    Thank you nonnipoppy for getting us started and many other. We still enjoying Geocaching. Thank you.