The Membership Relations Committee is happy to showcase some ArkGeo Geocachers through the "Geocacher Profile". The committee thought Richard Hicks aka Mailman72432 should be the next cacher to be in the spotlight.

What is your geocaching name?

Mailman72432

How did you choose your handle?
Well I'm a mail carrier. Everyone who talks to me calls me Mailman..."hey, mailman!" I work at Harrisburg and the zipcode is 72432. Used to be Mailman72396 when I worked at Wynne P.O.

How long have you been geocaching?
Started this craziness January 2005.

How did you find your first Geocache, and which one was it?
Found Wynne's Bravest GCM263 with a borrowed gpsr just to try it out.

Who usually goes with you when you go caching?
Used to be my kids but they're grown and have their own lives. Now I take a friend, Nanaof3, but she rarely logs any. She just likes to try and beat me to the find.

How long will you work on puzzle caches before you give up?
Until it gives me a headache. GC4WGNX ... for example. I just don't get it.

What town/areas have you most enjoyed caching in?
I enjoyed Little Rock. I think because I was able to just meander around on foot and look at whatever on my way to the next find. It's crazy that I liked urban caching so much because I'm really a country, backroads kind of person.

Do you do paperless caching?
Yes definitely. All my notes are on my phone now. Didn't use to tho. Had notes and printed descriptions everywhere.

What kind of geocaching rig do you use?

Use my Samsung phone and a Magellan if I'm somewhere that has absolutely no signal. Usually in my old Geo Tracker or the Oreion Reeper, because it has trackable tags on it.

Why would you recommend anyone else to take up geocaching?
Why? It's fun! It opens up your sense of adventure. It takes you to places you probably would never see otherwise. It gets you off the couch and it works your brain.

Where are you originally from?
Grew up in Helena, Ar.

In what states have you geocached?
Arkansas, Mississippi, Missouri, Tennessee, and Oklahoma.

What was your first event ever attended?

NEA Meet and Greet. GCY0V6 10/8/2006.

How many caches have you found?
595. Looking for a good one for number 600.

Which type of cache container do you prefer over the rest?
Doesn't really matter to me as long as I find it, but homemade containers with personal touches are awesome.

What was the most famous cache that you have found?
Gorilla Stash

Do you use disposable batteries or rechargeable batteries?
Both. Recharge the phone and disposable in the Magellan.

Do you enjoy hiding or finding more as your part of the hobby?
Finding. All but one of my hides have been archived. Couldn't keep up with them bc life kept getting in the way. I'm working on some new ones tho.

Do you have a personal goal in mind when you make a hide?
Make it fun, difficult, easy, and interesting all at the same time.

What is your favorite type of cache hide?

Good old traditional hides. No matter the size or location.

Out of all your hides, what are your personal favorites that you take pride in?
I only have 4 hides and 3 are archived. All of them were very fun for me, but I have to say my favorite was MP 13620 Caboose GCRZJY . The logs on this one were great to read.

What do you think the proper hide to find ratio should be to keep the sport fresh?
For myself 1:100. I'm slacking, I know. I just work so much I can't get the time. For others with more time I say as many as you can keep up with.

How did you end up getting into this wacky hobby?
I was introduced to caching by a friend, Combine, who was prepping a hide he was about to put out and I just had to try it out. I had to borrow his gps because at the time I had nothing, not even a cellphone.

What's your favorite geocache?

Bitbrain's Island Stash GC9598 . It was a difficult one to say the least. After finally canoeing our way to the island we had to bushwack our way to the cahe. Sweaty, beaten, bruised, and bloody, but we made it. That is a trip I'll never forget.

If money was no object, where would you like to go geocaching?
Austrailia/New Zealand. Then anywhere and everywhere.

Do you like geocaching by yourself or in a group?
I'm usually by myself or with one friend.

How many First to Finds do you have?
22 early morning rush out the door FTF

Are you a First to Find person who is always set on go and if so, how many miles out do you have your settings on to get notifications?
I used to be. I'd jump up at a moment's notice to beat Combine to them. Our friendly competition has ended tho. Now I'm a leisurely get up and go wherever whenever I can type of cacher.

Do you have any other hobbies besides geocaching?
Kayaking, hiking, and wandering around the backroads of Arkansas, which all lead to geocaching.