Thread: August 2019 Geocacher Profile

August 2019 Geocacher Profile

Tim Stone served in many capacities in the Arkansas Geocachers Association. Tim served on several committees and the ArkGeo board. He was an Eagle Scout and an active leader with the boy scouts. His involvement with the boy scouts is where his geocaching name, BSA534, came from.

August 1, 2019, Tim Stone passed away at the age of 52. He fought diabetes, amputations and more, while remaining so kind and hopeful. If you knew him, you know how much he loved Jesus, Lorna (his wife), Connor and Logan (his children), the boy scouts, geocaching, and the Dallas Cowboys.

Tim was a great guy, and he will be missed.

Tim was the Geocacher Profiled in February 2012. Tim did not get to do much geocaching after 2012 due to health issues.
    The following was his response to the questionnaire.

What is your geocaching name?
    BSA534

How did you choose your handle?
    I’m Scoutmaster in the Boy Scouts of America and my troop is 534

How long have you been geocaching?

Since 9/3/2007

How did you find your first Geocache, and which one was it?

The kids were out of school and I was off work and I’d heard of geocaching, and I had a GPSr, so I thought I’d look online and see if maybe there were any caches nearby, I figured we’d need to drive to Little Rock to find one though. I was surprised to find there were dozens in Conway. We went out and started looking. We looked for several that day before we finally found our first one, “Cache in on Soccer! (GC14XEB) was actually hidden by one of my Assistant Scoutmasters from my troop, but I didn’t know that at the time.

Who usually goes with you when you go caching?

Originally, my son, Connor or my daughter, Logan. Occasionally my wife will tag along and sit in the car and read while I hunt caches.

How long will you work on puzzle caches before you give up?

Depends on which type of puzzle it is. I’m not real patient, so probably not very long.

What town/areas have you most enjoyed caching in?

I loved caching in Clarksville back when I first started. So many cool and creative caches. Also love Searcy and most recently the Hot Springs area.

Do you do paperless caching?

Tried to do paper caching my first weekend... then went out and bought a Palm first thing Monday morning! Been paperless ever since.

What kind of geocaching rig do you use?

Garmin GPSMap60csx with street maps. Iphone 4 for paperless.

Why would you recommend anyone else to take up geocaching?

Its a great family activity, but you can do it on your own, or with friends. Great way to spend a day hunting for caches!

Where are you originally from?

Ashdown, in SW Arkansas

In what states you have geocached?

Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Missouri and Illinois (11 total)

What was your first event ever attended?

Meet and Greet- MORRILTON - GC16CX6 It was my 100th find!

How many caches have you found?

Which type of cache container do you prefer over the rest?

Big caches, like ammo cans, something I can put some swag in!

What was the most famous cache that you have found?

Sledgehammer GCGNET I didn’t find that many caches when I went to Geowoodstock 7 in Bell Buckle, TN, but one I really wanted to find was this one by MonkeyBrad. It is described as a “4x4 container under a pile of rocks” Its been “favorited” over 30 times, and I understand why. If you are ever in the area, check it out!

Do you use disposable batteries or rechargeable batteries?

Disposable.

Do you enjoy hiding or finding more as your part of the hobby?

Finding

Do you have a personal goal in mind when you make a hide?

Bring cachers to a specific area or to see something they might have missed otherwise.

What is you favorite type of cache hide?

A large container, especially one that kids can find and swap swag because I know they really enjoy that part of the game.
    Out of all your hides, what are your personal favorites that you take pride in?
    “Out By the Shop” GC178FG Its been found over 250 times. It sits right outside my office window. It gives me the opportunity to visit with cachers when they come to find it.

What do you think the proper hide to find ratio should be to keep the sport fresh?

1:100. I also think maybe new cachers should have to log 100 finds before they can make their first hide. I still remember most of those first 100 finds. They were the best!

How did you end up getting into this wacky hobby?

I was hooked after that first day of caching. It took me a while to meet some other cachers and find some friends to start going with. But once that happened it was downhill from there!

What's your favorite geocache?

How Do You Measure Up, As A Cacher? GCVF6Q Sadly its gone, but it was one of the best in the state. Worth the trip to Clarksville just for this one. Hopefully you found it!

If money was no object, where would you like to go geocaching?

England I think would be fun.

Do you like geocaching by yourself or in a group?

GROUP!

How many First to Finds do you have?

48 - but I haven’t had once since January 2010.

Are you a First to Find person who is always set on go and if so, how many miles out do you have your settings on to get notifications?
    Not a FTF hunter anymore. Leave that for the newer cachers so they can have that thrill.

Do you have any other hobbies besides geocaching?

Scouting, church and family activities take up most of my time these days.
    One cache at a time!

They talked about his love for geocaching at his funeral service. He was a special person and we were honored to call him "friend".