The Membership Relations Committee is happy to showcase some ArkGeo Geocachers through the "Geocacher Profile". The committee thought lauracricket aka Laura Neale should be the next cacher to be in the spotlight.

What is your geocaching name?

lauracricket

How did you choose your handle?

Laura is my given name & Cricket is my nickname from college because there were 2 lauras in my dorm room & I was the nocturnal one.

How long have you been geocaching?

I started in 2013, found one cache, then somehow forgot about it until a friend took me to find my second one exactly a year & two days later.

How did you find your first Geocache, and which one was it?

My first find was GC4FP93. It was near where I worked at the time, so I took a lunch-hour walk over to see what it was all about. The title was a pun, so I found it pretty quickly.

Who usually goes with you when you go caching?

Ususally I go by myself, though I love to bring one or both dogs along when I can. Sometimes, I cache with my mom, mamaperi.

How long will you work on puzzle caches before you give up?

Depends on the puzzle. I've certainly had nemesis puzzles that I kept at for months.

What town/areas have you most enjoyed caching in?

The majority of my caching has been done in & around Little Rock, since I don't get to travel much. But I like good trailside caches & am fond of cemetery caches.

Do you do paperless caching?

I had to look up what that is. Yes, almost exclusively. I don't have the real hardcore equipment, I just use my smartphone's GPS.

What kind of geocaching rig do you use?

Google Pixel 2

Why would you recommend anyone else to take up geocaching?

Besides the fact that it's just so darn fun, it often gives you a unique perspective on places. I've lived in Little Rock for most of my life, but I'd never really properly explored it till geocaching. It's shown me so many interstices & points of interest that I'd missed before & has deepened my knowledge of & appreciation for my home city. And when I travel, geocaching gives me access to what is essentially a hidden database of local lore & recommendations. It's fascinating!

Where are you originally from?

I was born in Tennessee, but I consider myself an Arkansan.

In what states have you geocached?

Only 8 so far: AR, TN, MS, MO, AL, MD, GA, & VA.

What was your first event ever attended?

GC66HJD
: December 2015 C.A.G.E. Meet, Greet, & Eat

How many caches have you found?

As of today, 723.

Which type of cache container do you prefer over the rest?

Love medium sized ones. They're small enough to hide almost anywhere when camouflaged well, but big enough to hold TBs & trade items.

What was the most famous cache that you have found?

The one with the most favorites was a webcam cache that's been around since 2005: GCMF4B

Do you use disposable batteries or rechargeable batteries?

I mean, there's a rechargable battery in my phone. ¯\_(
)_/¯

Do you enjoy hiding or finding more as your part of the hobby?

Both, of course! With finding, there's an instant gratification kind of thrill. Hiding, the delayed gratification kicks in with those random but satisfying find log notifications.

Do you have a personal goal in mind when you make a hide?

I like to contribute my little store of local knowledge to the map, and I try to give my containers a creative, personal touch.

What is your favorite type of cache hide?

I really enjoy a well-camouflaged, hidden-in-plain-sight small or medium container.

Out of all your hides, what are your personal favorites that you take pride in?

My most popular hide is GC6P7VJ, by my personal favorite is GC72N8Y.

What do you think the proper hide to find ratio should be to keep the sport fresh?

Oh, I have no idea. Maybe 1:100?? Quality over quantity.

How did you end up getting into this wacky hobby?

I first found out about it from a friend & it became part of my life after I moved back home from China & decided I needed a bit more variety in my day-to-day.

What's your favorite geocache?

Oooh, tough question. Really loved GC4QPMZ. GC78412 is very creative. GC44JJ2 was fun. GC408XQ was a fun puzzle. The scenery at GC14N05 blew me away.

If money was no object, where would you like to go geocaching?

New Zealand, Madagascar, or Iceland...

Do you like geocaching by yourself or in a group?

Both. I mostly go on my own, but I've met some fun people to search with too.

How many First to Finds do you have?

Just 5 so far.

Are you a First to Find person who is always set on go and if so, how many miles out do you have your settings on to get notifications?

Sadly not, my job doesn't really allow for me to take off at a moment's notice. Off the clock, though, it's on.

Do you have any other hobbies besides geocaching?

I like being outdoors. I'm always looking up this plant or that bug & sort of consider myself kind of an amateur naturalist. In addition to caches, I also hunt graffiti & street art.