Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Liar, liar pants on fire.

Black Knight Guest
    .[/quote]
    Lady-E
    See, I agreed with you even before you said it.
    DK
    Here is the way I see it. If you don't tone it down you are going to be banned, if you are banned you will create yet another alter-ego and if you don't change your words and attitude you will get busted-out again just as before so nothing will be gained. If you have unsolvable issues with caching you can just stop caching. If you have unsolvable issues with some cachers then just don't read them or don't comment on them. If you have constructive tools are ideals to make caching or this group or this site better then lets here it. Flamming isn't changing anything so let's see the tools and hear the ideals you think will make things better. I'm working on something myself (hope to share it soon) and so are other members.[/quote]
    You know, the last time I checked Freedom of Speech was protected by the United States Constitution. The First Amendment to be precise. Bottom line, I haven't attacked anyone who hasn't said something to me or about me first. The observations I have made have been in reply to comments that other people have left. Yes I will admit I have problems with certain cachers, or at least my non-alter-ego has had in the past.

I do believe there are cachers that run their totals up, especially hides that are just LAME but that is neither here nor there at this point in time. I will honestly admit I prefer caching out of state as in state, though I have seen a LOT of this great state we live in and have enjoyed every minute of it. There is nothing like a sunset from the top of Petit Jean, at least in this state.
    It was said this is a game, yes it is, why do people take it so serious? Why is it that normal cachers that have to work for a living don't have 2000 finds? I will admit I cache when I can, I work 40 hours a week M-F. I MIGHT maybe go caching after work if I am not too tired, and after dealing with people all day it is refreshing to get out for a bit, but it is also refreshing to go home and spend some QT with my wife. If I am lucky I can get out on Saturday for a little bit of caching, steering way wide of most micro caches!!!
    If you want me to name names, hey I can do that, then that would be the final nail in my coffin for sure, as I am sure calling people out would do it. I am not however going to do that. I also will not be threatened with banishment, as I said I call them as I see them, that is my first amendment right, I have neither hurt, nor attacked anyone who has not attacked me first as can be seen in the limited number of threads I have REPLIED TO!!!!! I have made no posts of my own they have all been replies as to how I feel about the comments made.......

DK

BACKPACKNJACK Guest
    I doubt if there is one person on this site that cares more about what
    you think then I do. I read every word of every post on this site because
    I care about what everyone thinks (read my post), not just the most
    popular. Do you remember who was the first to protest the locking of the
    other thread even though I stated I didn't agree with you?

[QUOTE:]I didn’t agree with the posting of DK/aka/BKnight about Arkparkguy but I did agree about this being an open forum (mostly, that is) and didn’t agree with the locking of APGuy's thread. I don’t know who did the locking but if this was my site I would have let the other members
    post their feelings about APGuy. I think he also may have enjoyed seeing
    those feelings in print.[/quote]

Yet you accuse me of not believing in the first amendment? Young man, you don't know what price I have paid nor what price I was willing to pay nor what price I'm still willing to pay for your freedoms, so If I were you I
    would lay that to rest. I imagine there are many on this site who have paid
    the price. How about you?
    As for me, feeling the validity of your protest wane considerably in my eyes, I'm moving on to something I think will be much more fun and more positive for this group. You are welcome to play also.
    PS. I will not comment anymore on this so it is all yours, you have the floor all to yourself and as far as I'm concerned...the last word.

Valorian Guest
    Dont have much to add really, I'm not in Ark now but grew up in there. I'm not in the cliche'. I kinda wished I did have a "phone a friend" in Logan and Washington counties I usually only have a day or so in each county before I have to go back home. I've emailed cache owners I had trouble with but really wanted to find before I came back I had some TB's that really needed to stay over that way, nearest cache big enough to hold them was less than a block away from the hotel, and no response from the owner while I was there or since I came back home. and I sure enjoy caching more than sitting bored at the inlaws while they spoil the grandkids with stuff they dont get at home

LE my statement was IN GENERAL after this post I WILL NOT CHECK THIS THREAD AGAIN. I have read very little in it and it is not helping anyone.
    If your not living life on the edge your taking up too much space!!!!!!

Black Knight Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BACKPACKNJACK
    I doubt if there is one person on this site that cares more about what
    you think then I do. I read every word of every post on this site because
    I care about what everyone thinks (read my post), not just the most
    popular. Do you remember who was the first to protest the locking of the
    other thread even though I stated I didn't agree with you?

[QUOTE:]I didn’t agree with the posting of DK/aka/BKnight about Arkparkguy but I did agree about this being an open forum (mostly, that is) and didn’t agree with the locking of APGuy's thread. I don’t know who did the locking but if this was my site I would have let the other members
    post their feelings about APGuy. I think he also may have enjoyed seeing
    those feelings in print.
    Yet you accuse me of not believing in the first amendment? Young man, you don't know what price I have paid nor what price I was willing to pay nor what price I'm still willing to pay for your freedoms, so If I were you I
    would lay that to rest. I imagine there are many on this site who have paid
    the price. How about you?
    As for me, feeling the validity of your protest wane considerably in my eyes, I'm moving on to something I think will be much more fun and more positive for this group. You are welcome to play also.
    PS. I will not comment anymore on this so it is all yours, you have the floor all to yourself and as far as I'm concerned...the last word.[/quote]
    Just for the record, I have given my service to this great country of ours, so though your service was probably several years before mine, I have been there and done that, just as I say for the record!!!

Oh and one last thing on this subject before I let it die its much over due death.........
    I have seen that your comments about my post(s) have been neutral or positive for the most part. I appreciate that. As for me saying you do not believe in the first amendment, I didn't mean it that way. I was just saying that people start talking censorship, we are all protected by that.

DK

Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight
    I was just saying that people start talking censorship, we are all protected by that.DK
    Just for the record, and for everyone reading this thread, let's be clear. This may be a "public" forum, but we are all guests here. Remember that just because a forum is "open" does not mean that everyone has carte blanche to do anything they want. Just as in other situations in life, there are certain behaviors, activities, and words that simply are not proper. There are (and should be) consequences to actions.

For example, you cannot walk down Main street at noon with no clothes on (at least you can't for very long) You can't yell "Fire!!!" in a crowded theatre. And you also cannot just go around smacking people in the head, even if they did flip you the bird.

In short, there MUST be some things that will not be allowed here. I think we can all agree on at least that much. Can't we?
    I get my directions from above.
    View my profile

DONCowling Guest

New cacher...

Hello. I realize this isn't necessarily the thread in which to introduce myself, but I wanted to make a point here.

My name is David, and with my two sons Owen and Nathan we make up the team of DONCowling. We started geocaching about 2 weeks ago and enjoy it alot. Even though Nathan is only 4 he really enjoys getting out and hiking up a storm and searching for the hidden caches.

That said, I want to make a point about these forums and this thread in particular.

Is this REALLY the kind of thread you want new cachers....new potential members... seeing the first time they log on to your site?

Too often people use the internet to act in ways....unsuitable to real life, just because they feel they can with no repercussions...like it really doesn't matter how they treat people online. I for one equate their online actions with their true selves, and distance myself accordingly.

This thread is no shining star to the forums of Arkansas Geocachers Association, and sheds a very poor light on it as a whole.

Concerned,

DONCowling

nonnipoppy Guest

Re: New cacher...

Quote Originally Posted by DONCowling
    Hello. I realize this isn't necessarily the thread in which to introduce myself, but I wanted to make a point here.

My name is David, and with my two sons Owen and Nathan we make up the team of DONCowling. We started geocaching about 2 weeks ago and enjoy it a lot. Even though Nathan is only 4 he really enjoys getting out and hiking up a storm and searching for the hidden caches.

First of all welcome and we hope you enjoy your newfound hobby. We are truly glad that you have joined us.

Too often people use the internet to act in ways....unsuitable to real life, just because they feel they can with no repercussions...like it really doesn't matter how they treat people online. I for one equate their online actions with their true selves, and distance myself accordingly.
    IMHO you are dead on with this observation.

This thread is no shining star to the forums of Arkansas Geocachers Association, and sheds a very poor light on it as a whole.

Again I think you hit the nail on the head. Unfortunately or fortunately we allow everyone to speak their mind. Sometimes they have an ax to grind and in other cases posters have been offended or hurt by what they have read and interpreted.

Forums are a bit challenging because it is almost impossible to always understand what the writer meant. When we are face to face we can interpret emotion, voice inflection, volume, and tone. Additionally body language is completely lost . That makes the written word our only means of communication. Some, like myself, just don't write as well as we could. I guess that is why writing a novel is so darn hard.

Having said all that I urge you to continue to visit, step into the conversation and voice your opinion. The voice of reason is always welcome and appreciated.

It does not take long to determine who's posts are inflammatory. I have had the pleasure to meet over 100 of the cachers in this area (including, I believe, those inflammatory posters) and face to face they are all nice people.

Valorian Guest
    Welcome David, I'm not a current resident of Arkansas but I grew up in the NW corner and have family there still. Your right with your post but unfortunatly what I compare it to is the Dr Suess book the Sneetches, you got em with stars and without, Here it's the power cachers and the quality cachers, the micro and the anti micro ect. Just have with the game and have fun with your boys, cause the best part is as they grow up they'll remember the great times talking, hiking and spending time with their family

couldbecaching Guest
    Just have with the game and have fun with your boys, cause the best part is as they grow up they'll remember the great times talking, hiking and spending time with their family
    Amen!