The Membership Relations Committee is happy to showcase some ArkGeo Geocachers through the "Geocacher Profile". The committee thought Flannelman aka Will Pumphrey should be the next cacher to be in the spotlight.

What is your geocaching name?
Flannelman

How did you choose your handle?
When I was a teenager I would always wear plaid flannel shirts in the Fall so my sister dubbed me flannelman.

How long have you been geocaching?
I joined Geocaching.com in June of 2005 so about 13 years now.

How did you find your first Geocache, and which one was it?
Landing Zone by Team Panda was my first cache. I finally found it July 8, 2005. The cache was located about a mile from my house and I first tried to find it without a gpsr but I didn't have any luck. I bought a Garmin Legend and went back with the coords and found the cache after a little while. I had no idea what I was looking for.

Who usually goes with you when you go caching?
My kids did most of the time. I cached with Quartzcacher a lot back then too. Now I don't cache as much but when I do it may be with a group of Boy Scouts, my kids, or by myself.

How long will you work on puzzle caches before you give up?
I don't really spend much time on them.

What town/areas have you most enjoyed caching in?
I like country caches the most especially if they are are near something interesting. I really like cemetery caches in historic cemeteries because I like to look at the old tombstones and try to guess what may have been going on during that person's life.

Do you do paperless caching?
I do now. I used to print out copies of the cache pages or GSAK reports when I first started then I went to a Palm Pilot PDA. Now I use the app on my smart phone.

What kind of geocaching rig do you use?
If using an actual GPSr, I go with my Garmin GPS60csx other wise it is my smart phone.

Why would you recommend anyone else to take up geocaching?
Because it is a fun hobby that can lead you to some very interesting places. And it offers an opportunity for some good exercise.

Where are you originally from?
Prattsville, Ar.

In what states have you geocached?
Arkansas and Texas. When I'm out of town I usually don't have time to cache.

What was your first event ever attended?
Arkansas meet Alabama

How many caches have you found?
781 and slowly counting

Which type of cache container do you prefer over the rest?
Something that is well camouflaged. I really like the containers the the owner put a lot of effort into to disguise the cache as something else.

What was the most famous cache that you have found?
I don't know. I haven't found any that I would say are famous.

Do you use disposable batteries or rechargeable batteries?
Disposable in the GPSr.

Do you enjoy hiding or finding more as your part of the hobby?
I really like finding because I get to see the great creativity of the cachers out there.

Do you have a personal goal in mind when you make a hide?
Not really other than to provide a good experience for those who may come looking for my cache.

What is your favorite type of cache hide?
I like to hide ammo cans so the kids will have room for trade items.

Out of all your hides, what are your personal favorites that you take pride in?
I think Creek View Cache is probably my favorite. It is a really peaceful place that has a nice overlook of the creek below.

What do you think the proper hide to find ratio should be to keep the sport fresh?
I think this stat used to be more important back when there were fewer geocachers out there but now there are plenty of caches to be found and there are always new caches popping up. I think everyone should hide a cache or two just to see what it takes but if you don't enjoy hiding then don't sweat it.

How did you end up getting into this wacky hobby?
A guy at work was talking about it so I decide to look up Geocaching.com to see what it was all about.

What's your favorite geocache?
The now archived Shame on Me by QuartzCachers. I looked for that cache every day before work for almost two weeks before I found it. I even knew what the container was but still had a hard time finding it.

If money was no object, where would you like to go geocaching?
I would like to go on a journey across the United States camping and caching in every state along the way.

Do you like geocaching by yourself or in a group?
Both. I do like the challenge of hunting caches by myself but I like the fun of caching with others and the memories and friendships that are made.

How many First to Finds do you have?
I really don't know, a handful maybe.

Are you a First to Find person who is always set on go and if so, how many miles out do you have your settings on to get notifications?
No I'm not. I used to be a little more concerned about getting FTF's and would go up to 30 miles or so to try.

Do you have any other hobbies besides geocaching?
I like all kinds of outdoor activities but hunting, camping, and hiking are at the top of the list right now. I also am an avid board gamer and I like to read.