Thread: October 2018 Geocacher Profile

October 2018 Geocacher Profile

The Membership Relations Committee is happy to showcase some ArkGeo Geocachers through the "Geocacher Profile". The committee thought Kimberly5775 aka Kimberly Pridmore should be the next cacher to be in the spotlight.

What is your geocaching name?
    Kimberly5775

How did you choose your handle?
    I have been using Kimberly5775 as part of my email since high school, so it was the first thing I thought to use. Kimberly, of course, is my first name. The 5775 was the last 4 digits of a phone number from a boyfriend I had in high school...funny I still use it today lol!!!

How long have you been geocaching?
    I started Geocaching July 12, 2016, so a little over 2 years now.

How did you find your first Geocache, and which one was it?
    I downloaded the Geocaching app on my IPhone and saw there was one close to my house. I loaded the boys in the car and down the road we went. The cache was GC1Z21A, 124 Welcome to Conway County, hidden by Ar-Hick. I didn't know what a baby coke bottle was, so it took me forever to find it because I was picking up all the soda bottle litter that was around! HA HA!!! But I was hooked after that! We drove around that day grabbing the other close ones!

Who usually goes with you when you go caching?
    It depends on who is working and what kind of geocaching trip it will be, but the usual suspects are my husband John, my two boys Layne and Kash, my niece Chloe, and my mom Kay.

How long will you work on puzzle caches before you give up?
    I usually give up pretty quick, but then that bugs me. I may come back and try to figure it out, but some I just have no clue on how to start.

What town/areas have you most enjoyed caching in?
    I have very much enjoyed finding the state park caches. I also like to cache in old/historical places where I can learn something or see something I may not have ever seen otherwise.

Do you do paperless caching?

Yes

What kind of geocaching rig do you use?
    If its just me, or me and the boys, we are in my Charger. If my husband is able to take us, we are in his Duramax. If my mom drives me, we are in her Jeep.

Why would you recommend anyone else to take up geocaching?
    It is a great way to spend time with family or friends, while getting some exercise! It is also good for mental health. I suffered with depression after having Kash in February 2016. I was taking meds daily, but I always felt down still and just blah. Once I got out and about with Geocaching, I was able to get off my antidepressants and I started having something to look forward to with my little geocaching trips with the kids and my husband or mom. The people I have met while geocaching have been so welcoming also! Thanks Yall!!

Where are you originally from?
    Jerusalem, AR and still here.

In what states have you geocached?
    Arkansas, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, and Louisiana.

What was your first event ever attended?
    A GIFF Event in 2016, held in Russellville, AR, by Old River Runner.

How many caches have you found?

Which type of cache container do you prefer over the rest?
    I love Ammo Cans! And its great when there is plenty of swag for the kids to trade!

What was the most famous cache that you have found?
    I guess that would be GC1B, Gorilla Stash.

Do you use disposable batteries or rechargeable batteries?
    Rechargeable

Do you enjoy hiding or finding more as your part of the hobby?
    I enjoy both! I love seeing new areas when finding caches, and I love seeing how unique some caches are. It amazes me the work that goes into some caches. As for hiding caches, I like thinking about cachers' reactions when they find my caches, and I can't wait to read about their experiences!

Do you have a personal goal in mind when you make a hide?
    The goal I had with my first few hides was just to get some caches in my area. I then had the goal of showing people an area they normally wouldn't see. And with one or two of my caches, my goal was to make the cacher laugh, or at least smile about the hide!

What is your favorite type of cache hide?
    I like a good sneaky hide!

Out of all your hides, what are your personal favorites that you take pride in?
    I try to make all of my hides different from each other so a cacher can't say oh that looks like a "Kimberly" hide. But I am guilty of being a copy cat hider. When I see a cache I really like, I hide one like it around here. My top ones of mine that I am proud of are "Ode to Branson", GC74VFP, (a "water" hide that I took the idea from one I found in Branson), "Seymore at the Pit", GC797F0, (a "slithery" idea I got from one I found in Russellville), and "The Old Jerusalem Schoolhouse", GC74M88, (a kinda sneaky hide that I have seen more than a few times, and the fact that it is hidden at the old schoolhouse in my small town).

What do you think the proper hide to find ratio should be to keep the sport fresh?
    I have heard someone say before that they thought newbies should find 100 geocaches before they hid their first one. I can't agree or disagree with that because it really depends on the type of hides one has found. There are many great caches that I have found and the hider hasn't even found 100 caches. If a person can produce a quality hide that they can maintain, then I don't think there is a special ratio.

How did you end up getting into this wacky hobby?
    When Layne was real young, my sister in law was talking about this game. She said there was something hidden close to my parents on a sign by the bridge and you had to use coordinates to find it. We went and found it just by checking all the signs. I think we may have even signed it. I never really thought about it anymore until Layne was on in school and had Kendall Barton as his music teacher. I had seen his pictures and posts on Facebook about Geocaching and he had wrote on there one day that Geocaching was the original Pokemon Go. That's the day I downloaded the app and the rest is history!!

What's your favorite geocache?
    This is a tough one, because I have many favorites! I guess I'm gonna go with Old River Runner's "Lake Dardanelle Night Cache" (GC3YW75). I like that it is a night cache hidden in a state park near the camping area, and I like the manner in which it is hidden. This is a cache I have taken several people to. Everyone has loved it!

If money was no object, where would you like to go geocaching?
    I know it sounds weird, but I have zero desire to leave the connected United States. Having said that, if I had the money (and I will save it up), I want to completely cache Route 66, staying at all the cheesy motels and eating at all the little diners!

Do you like geocaching by yourself or in a group?
    Definitely with a group since that's usually how I roll anyways. It's always a race between us and at the end of the day, the winner has the bragging rights as king geocacher!

How many First to Finds do you have?
    I think around 10.

Are you a First to Find person who is always set on go and if so, how many miles out do you have your settings on to get notifications?
    I will go after a FTF if its close enough to me. I won't go too far. I think my notification setting is for 40 miles. It is more of a way to let me know there are some new ones the next time I am in that specific area.

Do you have any other hobbies besides geocaching?

We are a "car" family, so a hobby for us is to put our classic vehicles in car shows and parades. On my own, I love to scrapbook. I have taken many pictures for my scrapbooks since I have been geocaching!

The cache was GC1Z21A, 124 Welcome to Conway County, hidden by Ar-Hick.

Kimberly, what a great profile....! I had to say that I know why you are hooked! Ar-Hick was one of the most evil hidders in Arkansas and you started off on one of his caches! LOL We still love to happen up on a Hick cache along our routes.

Loved learning a bit more about you. Thanks you for being our shining star for this month!

Sandy

“There aren’t enough days in the weekend.”
    Rod Schmidt