Thread: Augmented Reality (AR_) Geocache Experiment

Augmented Reality (AR_) Geocache Experiment

Many of you probably know by now that Geocaching started an experiment with Augmented Reality (or AR_) geocaches on June 6. Here are some interesting facts about AR_ caches in Arkansas:

1. Arkansas is home to the first AR_ cache published anywhere outside of Europe and the second published in the world. The cache is GC7QGCJ, "AR_Augmented Reality NWA, by Sanders_Sooners.

2. The first cacher in the world to find one of the new experimental AR_ caches was ssiler!

3. As of today, there are 109 AR_ caches published in the world. Arkansas is home to 9 of those, or 8.25%. Here is a link to a geocache search which shows the published Arkansas AR_ caches. And here is a link to a geocache search which shows all of the published AR_ caches in the world. (Note, the links will probably not work if you are not a Premium member of Geocaching.com.)

4. As of this posting, 4 Arkansas geocachers have placed these experimental AR_ caches: MathSeeker (4 AR_ caches); Sanders_Sooners (3 AR_ caches); Guwisti and woodwalker9 (1 AR_ cache, each). THANK YOU to these Arkansas geocachers for trying this experiment out and creating these caches for us to find!

5. By comparison with our neighboring states, here is the number of AR_ caches published in our neighboring states, as of today (so we currently have some bragging rights!):

• Texas - 7
    • Oklahoma - 0
    • Missouri - 0
    • Tennessee - 0
    • Mississippi - 0
    • Louisiana - 0

6. If you want to learn more about this experiment, which runs until September 6, and perhaps place your own AR_ cache, read this article in the Help Center.
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

Thank you, Old River Runner. This answers a lot of questions and makes us want to go try to find one.

Very interesting facts about AR_ caches. Thanks for posting. We look forward to seeing how this technology works with caching.

Thank you for the post OldRiverRunner!

I find the Augmented Reality geocaches fun to create and to try out. There are 120 worldwide now. I like to check out the various ones that can be played anywhere. They remind me of the Wherigo and/or Intercaches. Most of the ones that have published so far use the Metaverse App.

DON'T FORGET TO COMPLETE THE SURVEY!
    If you have found an AR cache and would like to give us feedback on your experience, please fill out this survey.

Hopefully, these geocache types will remain after the pilot/trial period.
    One cache at a time!

Our number of AR_ caches in AR has just risen to 10, with a new one by KNKINCABOT just published. Thanks to KNKINCABOT to joining the experiment group!
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

The AR caches could be a great addition to Geocaching. I hope they stick around.
    The ones I have set up are fairly simple. If anyone needs help getting their own AR cache going, I am happy to help. Just message me on geocaching.com.
    ��

For those who haven't heard, the deadline for placing one of these fun new caches has been extended until March 06th, 2019. If you haven't found one of these Ar_ caches, they are really fun. And, if you haven't tried making your own you should give it a try. It's easier than you might think.