Thread: August 2017 Geocacher Profile

August 2017 Geocacher Profile

The Membership Relations Committee is happy to showcase some ArkGeo Geocachers through the "Geocacher Profile". The committee thought Bruce Ripka aka Abiectio should be the next cacher to be in the spotlight.

What is your geocaching name? Abiectio

How did you choose your handle? I wanted a unique name and was using the name Abiectio is some creative writing so I went with it.

How long have you been geocaching? I have been caching since August 2006, so eleven years.

How did you find your first Geocache, and which one was it? I had purchased a cheap GPSr on Ebay and went out early on a Sunday morning. I managed to find three that day with Pet Land GCB8F4 being the first. I was hooked!

Who usually goes with you when you go caching? I have often cached alone, but my most common caching partner is Wrath557 from Memphis.

How long will you work on puzzle caches before you give up? Depends on the cache. Some puzzles, if they don't hook me immediately I will give up after a few minutes. Others, like Huebert, Deuteronomy, and Louis GC2NT0H, I will work on for years. I've been working on that one, off and on, since 2014.

What town/areas have you most enjoyed caching in? Anyplace I have not been before.

Do you do paperless caching? Yes, sort of. I have the cache descriptions downloaded to my GPSr but for bigger trips I create a paper caching route that includes earthcache and virtual logging requirements.

What kind of geocaching rig do you use? Currently I am using a Garmin 62ST.

Why would you recommend anyone else to take up geocaching? So you can meet awesome people and explore the world.

Where are you originally from? I started caching while living in West Memphis AR, but I grew up in Mountain Home, AR and was born in Pottstown, PA.

In what states have you geocached? I have been fortunate enough to cache in 30 states. I am mainly missing the Northeast, Southwest and a couple of the midwest states.

What was your first event ever attended? It was A Christmas Cache...uh, Bash! GCZ18W.

How many caches have you found? 5362

Which type of cache container do you prefer over the rest? Ammo can. There is something special about wonderful sound when opening or closing an ammo can.

What was the most famous cache that you have found? I suppose the most famous cache I have found would be Original Stash Tribute Plaque GCGV0P as it has the most favorite points.

Do you use disposable batteries or rechargeable batteries? Rechargeable.

Do you enjoy hiding or finding more as your part of the hobby? While I have loved both aspects of the hobby, currently I enjoy finding more than hiding.

Do you have a personal goal in mind when you make a hide? I want to take the finder someplace interesting or unique and, if it is a puzzle cache, I want the puzzle to be engaging and challenging.

What is your favorite type of cache hide? A mystery cache that ends with an ammo can in the woods.

Out of all your hides, what are your personal favorites that you take pride in? I have several hides of which I am very proud, but to keep the list manageable I'll list three. Flip Dizzy GC18M8X and the series that followed, The Mystery of the Lost Treasure of Beale GC23CMN, and The horse eats no cucumber-salad GC2DV8E.

What do you think the proper hide to find ratio should be to keep the sport fresh? I don't think there is a proper ratio. A cacher should only hide as many caches as they can properly maintain. If that is 10% great. If that is 0% that is great too.

How did you end up getting into this wacky hobby? I overheard Nvisible and itcomagic talking about caching and decided to give it a try.

What's your favorite geocache? This is always a tough question as there are so many caches that I loved finding, but if I can only pick one I suppose it would be The Key to the Cryptonomicon GCXBFC.

If money was no object, where would you like to go geocaching? Brazil, so I could hunt the last remaining APE cache. Mission 4: Southern Bowl GCC67.

Do you like geocaching by yourself or in a group? Both.

How many First to Finds do you have? Not sure. When I last looked several years ago it was more than 50.

Are you a First to Find person who is always set on go and if so, how many miles out do you have your settings on to get notifications? While I am no longer someone who hustles for First to Find I do have my notifications set out to 50 miles for both Conway and West Memphis and mystery caches in Rome GA for 30 miles.

Do you have any other hobbies besides geocaching? Yes. Tabletop gaming and Ingress.

One cache at a time!

We really enjoyed reading your info. Thanks for sharing.
    “There aren’t enough days in the weekend.”
    Rod Schmidt