Thread: Geocaching on WMAs

Geocaching on WMAs

FYI:
    Don't know how many of us this affects but the Arkansas Game & Fish Commission has a survey out
    (https://survey.agfc.com/index.php?r=survey/index&sid=182816&lang=en) and one of the questions concerns cache placement in Wildlife Management Areas:

Ban the placement of geocaches on Commission-owned WMAs and remove permit requirements for placement of geocaches.
    Justification: There is no longer a need for this permit or application.

Quote Originally Posted by backcountrytrack View Post
    FYI:
    Don't know how many of us this affects but the Arkansas Game & Fish Commission has a survey out
    (https://survey.agfc.com/index.php?r=survey/index&sid=182816&lang=en) and one of the questions concerns cache placement in Wildlife Management Areas:

Ban the placement of geocaches on Commission-owned WMAs and remove permit requirements for placement of geocaches.
    I really don't want to have to give them my name and other information, so what was the question?
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

Quote Originally Posted by knkincabot View Post

Odd. I thought that the AGFC never allowed any geocaches on land under their management except those that they had placed themselves or those that were in locations of their choosing.

I know that ArkGeo worked with the AGFC years ago to allow geocaching on their lands/lakes, but my recollection is that the association was never successful in getting the AGFC to change their position and freely allow geocaches to be placed. Does anyone own or know of geocaches placed on AGFC managed WMAs or lakes?

Perhaps the ArkGeo Board needs to re-engage with the AGFC to get them to change their mind about geocaching? Good item to put on next week's meeting agenda.
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

When I rotated off the board, I told the board I would stay in touch with AGFC (Ricky). We have swapped emails a few times over the past two years. According to him, it was approved however the paperwork was never signed nor were any of the guide/regulations books changed due to a lack of funding. I will try to reach out to him again to see what is up.

Kent

I took the survey without entering my personal information. I did not get an error message at the end saying that the form was not complete. I even tried to go back to the beginning page to enter my information, as I would be happy to discuss this with anyone in charge, but I could not get back to the start page. I encourage all geocachers, and especially the hunters among us, to do the same.