Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: A 2017 Challenge to All ArkGeo Members

Janurary Is Not For Everyone
    February (Is) For Everyone: https://coord.info/GC718GE

In truth, this wasn't my original plan... but that means my march cache is almost ready
    After some field testing I decided to redo it... I'm about a week out from releasing it.

Its going to be called March Is AMazing

Take care out there! February saw a lot of cool caches get place - great work everyone!

- Savoy
    Last edited by Savoy; 02-26-2017 at 04:45 PM.

I've updated the bookmark list again, and hopefully have captured everyone's new caches. At least the caches of those who have stated in this thread that they have accepted my challenge, OR who have stated in their cache description that their cache was placed in response to my challenge. There are a few of those!

I've also contributed to the new caches with 3 new ones of my own, with more to follow. Check out my new series: Arkansas Titan II Missile Silo (TMS) Series
    "Wildness is a necessity." -- John Muir

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

Please add my name to the challenge, Already have 11 caches published so far this year:
    GC6Z5ED
    GC6Z8AV
    GC6Z8HJ
    GC6YYR2
    GC6ZPFM
    GC6ZRCW
    GC708WG
    GC6ZPED
    GC6ZR6F
    GC6ZR4Y
    GC6ZRA0

I'm fairly certain I can get one more published by the end of the year.

So happy to see you as a member my friend! You have been a Key Part of making NWA what it is in Geocaching! I look forward to all the positive things you will no doubt bring to Arkgeo!

Welcome to the challenge! Thanks for accepting it. I think I've added all your caches to the bookmark list. Check it out and let me know if I missed any.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." -- Steve McQueen

Quote Originally Posted by OldRiverRunner View Post
    I've also contributed to the new caches with 3 new ones of my own, with more to follow. Check out my new series: Arkansas Titan II Missile Silo (TMS) Series
    This sir, is freaking cool!!

Like the previous commenter I think this is an awesome idea! I've always been kinda a self-proclaimed Arkansas history buff but just two weeks ago I came across a movie on Amazon, "American Experiences: Command and Control" 2017 and was produced by PBS and appeared non-fiction. I had never heard of the incident near Damascus, Arkansas, but I'm using the excuse I was only 5 when it happened

I thought Damascus was only good for a police speed trap on the way to Branson on Hwy 65 but apparently in 1980 near Damascus the movie and associated book tells the story of a technician who dropped a wrench and struck the Titan II Missile in the silo complex. Due to quick thinking and extreme bravery only one airman died in the mishap. By all accounts had safety mechanisms failed that would have been 10s of thousands. Ironically only 50 miles away at the time, the Governor at the time, Bill Clinton, was at the DNC in Little Rock and many articles state that it would be well in the blast and fallout area should the safety features in the missile not worked flawlessly and he would have never made President and would, "have been dead in minutes." Sadly obviously many of my Geocaching friends would have lived in that same area and suffered the same fate.

Obviously due due to medical issues in my family I don't cache much and sure don't put out the caches I used to. I would, however, love to complete this series when you get it finished ORR as I find the entire event and cache series most interestingl

Great job to all those able to accept ORR's challenge. He has done countless hours of VOLUNTEER work for our great state and if you don't think he doesn't do a great job , just go to another state where the reviewer doesn't stay on top of things like CHUCK WALLA and seemingly every cache has 8-10 DNFs to go along with them and obviously they are not there. Thank you again ORR.

Quote Originally Posted by arkfiremedic View Post
    ... just two weeks ago I came across a movie on Amazon, "American Experiences: Command and Control" 2017 and was produced by PBS and appeared non-fiction.
    I had been contemplating hiding a cache near the Damascus (actually, Southside) silo site for some time. But, interestingly enough, I had run across this same documentary while browsing Netflix just a few weeks ago myself (maybe it had just been released on DVD?) and rented it from them. The documentary inspired me to do some research on this site and others, and to start putting together this series of caches. The Southside site cache is TMS 374-7 and the accident is summarized in the cache description.

The documentary inspired me to do some research on this site and others, and to start putting together this series of caches. The Southside site cache is TMS 374-7 and the accident is summarized in the cache description.
    i enjoyed reading your description and looking at the photo. Unreal how much it costs to build that and multiply that by as many different ones as we had! Thanks ORR! Every November I have to go with Mrs. AFM to take her to a week long nurse practitioner conference and I usually check out all the Veterans Day events as they do a fabulous week of events to honor all our country's veterans. Now I'm really looking forward to it to get this new series of caches. Will be lots of fun! Thanks for a great idea of a series! I absolutely love it! Happy Cachin'! AFM

#12 for the year is GC71RWJ Old Rogers Cemetery
    Bakers Dozen will be GC6ZRAP, DEAD DROP (hope there aren't any issues getting it published)