The Membership Relations Committee is happy to showcase some ArkGeo Geocachers through the "Geocacher Profile". The committee thought Susan Batterton aka trekkin'arkie should be the next cacher to be in the spotlight.

What is your geocaching name?
trekkin'arkie

How did you choose your handle?

I did most of my geocaching while traveling in my Roadtrek RV from Arkansas so that just seemed a logical name choice. Today, I would choose a shorter one.

How long have you been geocaching?

I began geocaching in February, 2003.

How did you find your first Geocache, and which one was it?
My first geocache was GC3F25 Caddo Bend at Lake Ouachita State Park near Hot Springs. My sister introduced me to the hobby so I printed a topographical map and went along while she experimented with her new Garmin. While she was studying her screen, I found the cache.

Who usually goes with you when you go caching?
Leonthepeon is my usual caching companion and makes sure we have a writing utensil.

How long will you work on puzzle caches before you give up?
I have worked on a few way too long. After trying some I could never solve I spend very little time on one.

What town/areas have you most enjoyed caching in?
I especially enjoyed caching around Siesta Key, Florida because I went with a good friend from the area. So often the best part is who you are caching with.

Do you do paperless caching?
I do paperless caching now.

What kind of geocaching rig do you use?
I rely on my Garmin CSX 60 when not using my iPhone.

Why would you recommend anyone else to take up geocaching?

I would suggest it is a great way to enjoy being outside with friends. Nothing like hiking or biking a trail with a geocache as the destination.

Where are you originally from?
I was born in Kansas, but have lived in Hot Springs most of my life. I call the first two years my stint in the cavalry.

In what states have you geocached?
I have geocached in 49 states and need to make a return trip to Hawaii.

What was your first event ever attended?

On December 20, 2009 I attended Fall into Winter in Hot Springs Village hosted by rklmbl.

How many caches have you found?
I have found 2,598 caches. I did skip some years!

Which type of cache container do you prefer over the rest?
I am not as interested in the container as the cleverness of the cache. Bird houses are usually nice.

What was the most famous cache that you have found?

I suppose caching at headquarters in Seattle would be the most famous.

Do you use disposable batteries or rechargeable batteries?
I use disposable batteries.

Do you enjoy hiding or finding more as your part of the hobby?
Once I finally started hiding caches I got a tremendous amount of pleasure from it but I equally enjoy finding those others have hidden.

Do you have a personal goal in mind when you make a hide?

I want most of the caches I hide to be easy enough for a new cacher to find. I like for something historical, clever, or a nice location to be part of each cache which is not always the case.

What is your favorite type of cache hide?
For awhile I was all about completing challenges but I do like a virtual cache when traveling.

Out of all your hides, what are your personal favorites that you take pride in?
My favorites are the ones that I think are clever and I came up with the idea on my own. Moo'ving On, Seeing Eye to Eye, RV There Yet?, TV Hill, and Get a Grip Wood U are my favorites that are still active. I don't even know where the ideas came from!

What do you think the proper hide to find ratio should be to keep the sport fresh?
I don't think the ratio matters because each cacher has his or her own preference. I personally am not interested in how many caches I find but others are. The beauty of the hobby - something for everyone.

How did you end up getting into this wacky hobby?

My sister had started caching and I just tagged along. She quit years ago, not I.

What's your favorite geocache?
It is hard to pick just one, but several of the caches set out by Groundspeak in Seattle are quite amazing. Often it is not the geocache itself, but perhaps the hike I took to get to it.

If money was no object, where would you like to go geocaching?

I would go to Georgia so I could finish my Jasmer list.

Do you like geocaching by yourself or in a group?

The majority of the time I prefer caching with friends.

How many First to Finds do you have?
I haven't kept up with my FTFs, although I did reach 100 to complete a challenge.

Are you a First to Find person who is always set on go and if so, how many miles out do you have your settings on to get notifications?
I find that others are far more interested in first to finds than I am so I leave them for someone else.

Do you have any other hobbies besides geocaching?
I enjoy fly fishing, kayaking, hiking, biking on flat land, genealogy, camping, and rv'ing. Other recent hobbies include ham radio, Dutch oven cooking, photography, and the list goes on.