Thread: September 2016 Geocacher Profile

September 2016 Geocacher Profile

The Membership Relations Committee is happy to showcase some ArkGeo Geocachers through the "Geocacher Profile". The committee thought Josh Adams aka Ashallond should be the next cacher to be in the spotlight.

What is your geocaching name?

Ashallond

How did you choose your handle?
    I used to be a game master on an online server. I would play a character to interact with the normal players to start quests. That character's last name was Ashallond. Kept using it ever since for my online presence.

How long have you been geocaching?

Since April 8, 2009

How did you find your first Geocache, and which one was it?

Rebels RULE!!!!!! (GCMR4W), which is at the school I work at (yes the admin knows it's there). My quiz bowl team and I decided to try to find it one day after school. So we did.

Who usually goes with you when you go caching?

Lately I've been a loner, but I've done some pretty long trips with Yazz, secondgunman and jffok. My daughter Dancingprincess sometimes joins me.

How long will you work on puzzle caches before you give up?

Give up? (Chuckle)

What town/areas have you most enjoyed caching in?
    Louisville, KY. Very strong caching presence there, and they love earthcaches and puzzle caches.

Do you do paperless caching?
    Yes

What kind of geocaching rig do you use?

Mostly my iPhone 6 currently. I had a garmin, but I've misplaced it somewhere in my house.

Why would you recommend anyone else to take up geocaching?

You get outdoors, you get to meet new people, and you get to use the gps feature on your phone.

Where are you originally from?
    It's complicated. I lived in Tennessee, Washington state, Alabama, Arkansas, & Delaware through school and high school. But I've lived in Fort Smith ever since I finished college.

In what states have you geocached?

22 different states ranging from California to New York plus the District of Columbia. I mostly play in Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Kentucky.

What was your first event ever attended?
    A world wide flash mob.....that I hosted. Next one was the cache ca$h dash bash

How many caches have you found?

Which type of cache container do you prefer over the rest?

Large things.

What was the most famous cache that you have found?
    Mingo

Do you use disposable batteries or rechargeable batteries?
    Rechargeable

Do you enjoy hiding or finding more as your part of the hobby?
    It's changed. For a while I loved hiding, but now I like seeing the creativity of the newer cachers.

Do you have a personal goal in mind when you make a hide?
    If it's a non-puzzle, to make it findable. If it's a puzzle, to let you learn something.

What is your favorite type of cache hide?
    Earthcaches!

Out of all your hides, what are your personal favorites that you take pride in?

Emergency Repairs. One of the first wherigos in Fort Smith, and my challenge caches.

What do you think the proper hide to find ratio should be to keep the sport fresh?
    I think you need to find 50-100 different types of caches to get a broad idea of what works, then hiding 1 for every 50-100 you find. Unless you find that nice stretch of lonely road.....

How did you end up getting into this wacky hobby?
    My brother did it for a little bit and mentioned it to me, and then I kept coming across references in articles.

What's your favorite geocache?
    I'd have to say a tie between the Grand Finale for the parkcaches and an earthcache in Louisville called Cave Hill's Sinkholes. (GC1DCTT)

If money was no object, where would you like to go geocaching?

Scotland, Japan, Antarctica, and the International Space Station (is that one still active?)

Do you like geocaching by yourself or in a group?

Both!

How many First to Finds do you have?

Are you a First to Find person who is always set on go and if so, how many miles out do you have your settings on to get notifications?
    Only if it's close and I have time. I have my notifications set out for 50 miles.

Do you have any other hobbies besides geocaching?
    Watching Baseball, reading, playing some video games, winning quiz bowl state titles (occasionally), and astronomy.

Last edited by MathSeeker; 09-01-2016 at 07:11 PM.

Good to learn a bit more about you!