Thread: July 2016 Geocacher Profile

July 2016 Geocacher Profile

The Membership Relations Committee is happy to showcase some ArkGeo Geocachers through the "Geocacher Profile". The committee thought Becky Kinnu aka Nannabear should be the next cacher to be in the spotlight.

What is your geocaching name?
    Nannabear

How did you choose your handle? I love being a Nana and I love bears so it was natural to put the two together. I travel in the Roaming Bear Cave too!! It is a trackable, so look for it wherever you see me!!

How long have you been Geocaching? For 3 years now

How did you find your first Geocache and which one was it? My first one was actually close to my house “Memory in Butterfield”. Sadly it is now gone due to a fire. I was introduced to Geocaching and I was at my house playing with the app and noticed how close it was so I could not just sit there!! I had to go try this new thing! I was hooked from there on and purchased my premium account!!

Who usually goes with you when you go caching? Alot of the time I go by myself, but whenever we can get together then my daughter (RedeemedByGrace) and my grandsons (lilsneaker and turtlebug08 ) go with me.

How long will you work on puzzle caches before you give up? Depends, but I usually give up pretty fast!!

What town/areas have you most enjoyed caching in? I don’t really have one I enjoy over the other, I enjoy seeing how different minds work by all the different containers I find in different towns.

Do you do paperless caching?
    Most definitely!!

What kind of geocaching rig do you use? My iPhone

Why would you recommend anyone else to take up geocaching? This is a fun way to meet people, find new places you would not normally go and an easy way to get out and get some exercise without even really trying!!

Where are you originally from? Washington State, moved to Arkansas with my mom when I was 15 years old.

In what states have you geocached? Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington, Puerto Rico and Mexico. This fall I will be working on gathering some of the east coast states and Canada.

What was your first event ever attended? Hot S.W.A.G. in the Springs on 9/21/13

How many caches have you found? 701 so far

Which type of cache container do you prefer over the rest? I enjoy finding traditional caches the most, like seeing the different ideas and having the container in my hand to be able to sign the log.

What was the most famous cache that you have found? GCCVOP – Original Stash Tribute Plaque in Oregon, it has an ammo can close where you sign the log book and GC92 - Un-Original Stash just up the hill from the plaque.

Do you use disposable batteries or rechargeable batteries? Disposable….kept losing the rechargeable ones anyways!!

Do you enjoy hiding or finding more as your part of the hobby? I really enjoy finding them the most, but do enjoy some of the logs on the ones I have hidden and I feel I have done good if I receive a favorite point, especially when it is someone that has cached for a long time!!

Do you have a personal goal in mind when you make a hide? Not really, I just want to make sure it is good and hidden from the muggles and I guess I do strive to make it a good enough one that it gets some favorite points. When I get a favorite point then I think I have accomplished the goal of putting out a cache!!

What is your favorite type of cache hide? Traditional…I love the challenge!!

Out of all your hides, what are your personal favorites that you take pride in? GC4PRQV – Nub’s Cup of Joe, GC4MNYE – Celebration of Life and GC4KY9P – Desperate Housewives. They have several favorite points and the first two are in honor of my late husband. Desperate Housewives is just a fun one that jkkbyrd and I enjoyed hiding together!

What do you think the proper hide to find ratio should be to keep the sport fresh?
    Ok, now you are getting to technical for me!!

How did you end up getting into this wacky hobby? My brother and sister-in-law (nanaandpawpaw) got me into the wacky hobby. I was at their house one weekend about 8 months after my husband went home to our heavenly father, it was a Sunday and I was getting ready to leave when he showed me the Geocaching app and explained this wacky hobby. He said he has been checking it out and showed me some of the tools of the trade. He spent some time going over it all and told me he wanted me to try it and see what I thought of it because he thought it would be good for me. You see he was afraid that with my husband gone I would just sit at the house and not get out. Well I pondered on it that day, played with the app on Monday, saw the cache so close to my house and I went for my first cache and that is all it took!! He created a happy Nannabear!!!

What’s your favorite geocache? I really don’t have just one, my favorite would beones that someone has their heart into! Those are usually done really well and the person is willing to take care of them! I try to carry supplies to help out an owner if the log is full or if there is a repair to the container that I can easily fix, but if I starting hunting some that I can see the owner has badly neglected them, then I am likely not hunt anymore of their caches as it would be a waste of my time when I could be out there hunting the awesome ones!!

If money was no object, where would you like to go geocaching? Everywhere!! But have really dreamed of going to Australia!

Do you like Geocaching by yourself or in a group? Sometimes by myself, but mostly with my daughter (RedeemedByGrace) and my grandsons (lilsneaker and turtlebug08 ).

How many First to Finds do you have? Not sure, I did not keep up with the numbers and cannot find anywhere on the Geocaching site that shows that. There was a time I was trying real hard to get as many as I could, but it is not as important to me now as I don’t have the time to jump as soon as it is posted now.
    Are you a First to Find person who is always set on go and if so, how many miles out do you have your settings on to get notifications? My settings are around 50 miles, but as I said before, I don’t have the time to jump as soon as it is posted now.

Do you have any other hobbies besides geocaching? I enjoy spending time with my family the most (and if it includes Geocaching too that is the ultimate!!) I also have a motorcycle and love to go on rides (and again try to geocache too on the rides!!) Enjoy Camping and fishing too (you can easily geocache doing these also!!)

"IN GOD WE TRUST!"

God Bless you, keep you safe
    Mark 10:27 And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible.
    Last edited by MathSeeker; 07-01-2016 at 09:54 PM.
    One cache at a time!