Thread: December 2015 Geocacher Profile

December 2015 Geocacher Profile

The Membership Relations Committee is happy to showcase some ArkGeo Geocachers through the "Geocacher Profile". The committee thought Phoebe Sellers aka plsellers should be the next cacher to be in the spotlight.

What is your geocaching name? plsellers

How did you choose your handle? When I first read about geocaching and went to the site, it was way before I started caching. I just shortened my name...not even realizing what creative names and otherwise were out there. After signing so many logs, I wish I had shortened it to just pls.

How long have you been geocaching?
    since mid 2012

How did you find your first Geocache, and which one was it?
    This in combo with the question above has a story behind it all. In 2009, I retired after over 45 years with the same company and for a retirement gift, one daughter (who works for Arkansas Game & Fish Commission) gave me a weekend with “Becoming an Outdoors Woman,” a program sponsored by AGFC. Of the various seminars that weekend was Geocaching....took it (along with Shotgunning and other exciting outdoor stuff), came home...didn’t know what to do with it. In 2010, paid my own way back to the Outdoors Woman weekend...took Geocaching again, came home....didn’t know what to do with it. Then in April of 2012, I saw a notice in the local paper about a G.L.A.D. Meet & Greet (GC3FQ4B), which turned out to be my first log. I went and the rest is now history. I still didn’t really know how all worked so tantillos.com, daughter of allenearl58 took the time to take me to a nearby cache, showed me how the GPS worked (I had bought a Garmin eTrex Venture—the one I used at the AGFC seminar...and still use it) and my streak began with GC1DPCF (P.I.Lot) which happens to be one of allenearl58’s hides.

Who usually goes with you when you go caching? Bronco’s girl started me off being my mentor, going with me to many, many of the Union County ones. Since she and her husband, Bronco46 still worked at the time, I did a lot by myself and still do quite a few alone. But I consider my partners to be Bronco’s Girl (still working) and Bronco46 (now retired). Have cached just a little with gmcsac. When in Houston, my grandchildren are sitting on the edges of their seat being navigators seeing what comes next (they are 12 and 14).

How long will you work on puzzle caches before you give up? I’m not much of a puzzle worker. I like puzzles in general, like crossword, etc. but most all these crypto kind get over my head in a hurry. I will work (try to work) some by myself and also in conjunction with the Broncos especially if we need one for a souvenir or if there is nothing left to complete a physical area but even then I hedge when I can. So, I tend to give up pretty quickly. I even have a puzzle book.

What town/areas have you most enjoyed caching in? Every place has their own uniqueness. I don’t have any favorites since I don’t plan vacations or trips or even weekends around the caches. If I am going somewhere tho, I do have caches loaded and ready for the area.

Do you do paperless caching? I am not paperless. I’ve cut down just a little on paper since using GSAK and learning some of the things it does. I probably would have to upgrade my GPS in order to take advantage of being paperless. I am an accountant by education and old school at that so I am still built around paper. But I do recycle my paper by printing on both sides. Talk about an ink bill.

What kind of geocaching rig do you use? I still use the one I learned on.....Garmin eTrex Venture. I have thought many times about upgrading and (just like my phone) I hate the learning curve.

Why would you recommend anyone else to take up geocaching? I do and I have. Don’t know that I have converted anyone but I do occasionally have a muggle navigator and have explained and given the website out to many friends. I have tried to encourage & recommend..... about doing it as a single, a couple, a family (all ages of children) and even us older retired people that want to stay active in mind and body. I also extol the educational aspects of learning about geography, technology of the GPS itself, history.....just general awareness of where a road might take you....old churches, old cemeteries, beautiful views, historical areas.

Where are you originally from? Born in Pulaski County, lived in Hot Spring County then moved to El Dorado in the 5th grade....so I consider myself truly from L.A. (lower Arkansas)

In what states have you geocached? Not that many......Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri.

What was your first event ever attended? It was that G.L.A.D. Meet & Greet back in April of 2012

How many caches have you found? 2750

Which type of cache container do you prefer over the rest? I read on Facebook a lot of pluses and minuses of certain containers. I don’t “dislike” any of them. They all have their ups and downs. The problematic are those that are not maintained, the ignoring the series of DNFs, etc. My supply box is filled with things to repair, replace or just clean up and out. So many are not capable of housing trackables or swag.

What was the most famous cache that you have found? I have never found a “famous” cache. However, Bronco’s Girl and I purposely drove to Marshall, Texas to sign the log of an ammo box that was brought back from Iraq by a civilian worker to his sister that he found in a building about to undergo demolition. We signed the original log.

Do you use disposable batteries or rechargeable batteries? Mostly rechargeable but I always carry disposable along.....also extra power packs to make sure phone never is discharged.

Do you enjoy hiding or finding more as your part of the hobby? Probably finding.

Do you have a personal goal in mind when you make a hide? Not really. I just figure I need to give back to the game. Someone has to hide so we will always have something out there to find.

What is your favorite type of cache hide? Never really thought about it much, but I guess I’d rather do either recycled “something” or a gadget style. But, it’s not gonna be real complicated gadget since my mind is not like that. I have really seen some very creative ones on Facebook.

Out of all your hides, what are your personal favorites that you take pride in? I don’t know that I have any special favorites. I did a series on color...getting away from the norm of camouflage but researching what various colors have meant across time; each having their own special place in our color wheel as well as historical.

What do you think the proper hide to find ratio should be to keep the sport fresh? I know this at times is controversial. Some say not before 100, some more, some says it doesn’t matter. Personally, it just hit me that if I didn’t, who do I automatically “assume” would do it. I had probably 1500 before I did any so I was really feeling guilty. By that time, I had seen many containers, many locations, gotten many ideas, saw the pitfalls so I felt like it was time. It was right before the souvenir month of August 2013 which we were finding one each day. In my area, we were having to venture pretty far away (for us); so, several of us started hiding that among me, bronco46, bronco’s girl, arkfiremedic, gmcsac and a few others down this direction, I think we placed close to 300 new ones. I do think that a new cacher shouldn’t just jump in and start hiding; not that they are not smart enough but that they need to know what works in their specific area, general protocols, getting permissions, learn more about using phones vs. handheld GPS to place. I’ve seen a few profiles that have zero finds but have started hiding...maybe they just aren’t logging them. The newer ones in our area have actually done a pretty good job.

How did you end up getting into this wacky hobby? Pretty well explained in a question at the beginning.

What's your favorite geocache? There’s been several unusual and very creative but I guess GC30NTJ comes to mind since I don’t have much time to think on it.

If money was no object, where would you like to go geocaching? Never really given it any thought. I don’t go to exotic places..went on a cruise before I started caching or that would have been fun....no scuba stuff though. I don’t fly and I don’t camp. I would like to just get in the car pointed in whatever direction and just go. So, if anyone needs a partner.......

Do you like geocaching by yourself or in a group? Both have their place. More pairs of eyes or have bulldog stamina are certainly strong advantages but by oneself means you can spread your stuff all around. I can hardly even fit another person in my geotruck because of my supplies, swag and tools.

How many First to Finds do you have? I only have 37 true FTF, a few more of Co-Tri and Group

Are you a First to Find person who is always set on go and if so, how many miles out do you have your settings on to get notifications? I have notifications set out about 50 miles but not for FTF. I am not a FTF hound always set on ready. I do notifications just to add to my GSAK location so when I’m going in a certain direction, all I do is just one more quick review of the mapped area, download to GPS and out the door (really a little more than that but you get the idea).

Do you have any other hobbies besides geocaching? Not necessarily hobbies, but I am active in other things. I am a Master Gardener, on the Advisory Committee of the Arkansas Museum of Natural Resources, Trustee Board member of the local Barton Library, on the Single Parent Scholarship Fund of Union County administered through our local community college, take care of my church library, Poll Captain during election time, Board of the local EHC (Extension Homemakers Clubs), an extension of U of A. and a few other things. I am an avid reader, having 4 stories going at once (audio tapes in each vehicle—I listen while caching), Kindle while watching TV, actual book when in bed)....and; yes, occasionally I have to backtrack to remind myself of the plot. Oh, I’m a wannabe crafter if that counts.
    One cache at a time!

I enjoyed reading your answers to the questions. Thanks!

Thanks Phoebe. I enjoy finding your caches. Almost found them all. About time you hide some more