Thread: November 2015 Geocacher Profile

November 2015 Geocacher Profile

The Membership Relations Committee is happy to showcase some ArkGeo Geocachers through the "Geocacher Profile". The committee thought Eric Bond aka bondebond should be the next cacher to be in the spotlight.

What is your geocaching name?

bondebond

How did you choose your handle?
    It came from trying to find a unique profile name early on when the Internet was still getting its legs under it. I've been in IT for over 20 years and on the Internet even longer. It is a play on my name and some little known British secret spy agent that's always plagued me through my childhood and adult life. The profile's bond...ebond.

How long have you been geocaching?
    That all depends on how you want to start the counter. I found my first geocache on July 7, 2007 as a muggle. I stumbled upon it while inspecting a strange natural formation in the bowl of a valley in Taylor Park, CO. I found an ammo can (Pretzel's Playhouse, GCPVFF), read the log and instructions and signed the log. I muggled another the following day but was unable to find it later online to log it. Then I had a dry spell, probably the longest in AR history until 2012 when the Veatches got me back into it. It wasn't really until August of 2014 that I REALLY got back into it with vigor. So, the answer is either 8 years or 1 year.

How did you find your first Geocache, and which one was it?
    Ooops. I answered that above. I have since taken several extended family members to the cache a few years after I discovered it and they all signed the log. I've yet to turn any of them into geocachers. And the last time to visit it showed that it was now archived.

Who usually goes with you when you go caching?
    Wait. You mean people go along with you? I usually am by myself although I will generally let Tha_Hill know if I'm going some place remote. I'll send him a GC code or two of some of my targets so the authorities know where to start the search. My kids (ages 11 and 8 can sometimes be convinced to actually go and my wife is supportive but firmly a muggle at heart. Tha_Hill and I will make caching trips and have done a few all-nighters, especially when the Monopoly series was about to be archived. What a marathon night that was.

How long will you work on puzzle caches before you give up?
    Puzzles...sigh. The bane of my geocaching experience. Since we had a puzzle-solving Meet-n-Greet in Searcy, I've been encouraged to give them more effort. I will say that I gave one of Floaten's WAY too much time this year when I was bound and determined to get FTF on one of his puzzles. I didn't but it wasn't for a lack of trying. I still haven't solved it. Once I determine to solve a particular one, I try to avoid asking for hints but a nudge or two is always welcome. On average, many days to a week on any given puzzle.

What town/areas have you most enjoyed caching in?
    Obviously, Woodwalker and others set me up perfectly in Searcy with several hundred to get acquainted with the sport. I really liked seeing the variety around here. My most favorite kinds are the ones to get me out in nature, though. Making a run on cemetery caches was sort of a strange, creepy feeling at first but now I appreciate getting out in the quiet solitude found there so often as well as a chance to learn a little history of some people.

Do you do paperless caching?
    Pretty quickly, I went paperless after upgrading to premium membership and could make notes in my account about each geocache. I did have a little spiral bound notebook in my vehicle used for making field puzzle notes, etc and still use it for that purpose but no more printing out sheets of info.

What kind of geocaching rig do you use?
    I have a Garmin gpsmaps 64st that is good for remote areas without cellular signal but by and large, I use my Samsung Galaxy S5 with c:geo. I love pulling down the satellite imagery for that final level of detail for GZ. It's pretty accurate, at least for my taste. Of course, you have to put the device in your pocket at some point and let geosense do some work.

Why would you recommend anyone else to take up geocaching?

Because it's a great way to lose yourself for an hour or a day with very little likelihood of actually being permanently lost. That said, I still do carry a compass in my kit along with the extra batteries, just in case. I love getting out in nature and it seems like today's kids have to have some tie-in with electronics to get their attention, so this is a great fit. I'm the troopmaster of our Trail Life USA troop in Searcy and have incorporated geocaching in several of our camp-outs. Woolly Hollow State Park will never be same after we came through.

Where are you originally from?
    I grew up in Oklahoma after moving from Kentucky at age 3. From there, it was 4 years of college in Arkansas, two years in Texas, 9 years in Wisconsin, 5 years in Kansas and now back to Arkansas.

In what states have you geocached?
    In not so many as I would like to but that's the great part of geocaching - there's always another one just down the road a little further. I have geocached in 8 states so far: Arkansas, Colorado, Kansas, Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri and Mississippi. We're going to Florida in January, so that will be at least one more state, if not several on the way to and from.

What was your first event ever attended?

It was the Pi Day 3.14 hosted by Mathseeker. It was a great event and showed me how much fun it can be to gather with fellow geocachers and pick their brains. Unfortunately, my Thursdays are always spoken for so I've not been able to attend the monthly meet and greets.

How many caches have you found?
    I have only a paltry 653 finds. I generally geocache during my lunch period and have pretty much cleared everything out within reasonable driving distance of a lunchtime so I will probably slow way down on finding new caches.

Which type of cache container do you prefer over the rest?
    Oh, of course it will always be the ammo can but really, any container that had a unique or challenging way of being found or opened.

What was the most famous cache that you have found?
    It has to be Mingo. We drive a lot to Colorado to visit my wife's family. I think it was around 2:00 in the morning when I pulled off of the highway at a desolate spot. With no gas stations around, my wife groggily asked me if everything was OK. I was giddy, mostly because of the sleep deprivation but excited regardless. I could not convince the kids to ink the log so they will just have to find it on their own some time.

Do you use disposable batteries or rechargeable batteries?
    I start with rechargeable, but have ultra alkalines as backups.

Do you enjoy hiding or finding more as your part of the hobby?

I've really gotten into hiding as much as finding geocaches. I had to be a copy-cat and start up a few bird house themed caches in town. One is a reasonable homage to WestVirginia Tim's, something of an amalgamation with a twist. The other is, as far as I know or can tell, a totally unique field puzzle cache that I expect to be found once or twice a year, at best. In its first three months, there is still no FTF on it. That's just me being mean/evil/warped. But I really enjoy the geocaches that take me places I would never have gone on my own. I appreciate the efforts hiders go, especially after seeing what it takes first hand to place some.

Do you have a personal goal in mind when you make a hide?
    While I have some PnGs, I generally like to place something with a twist. Most all of the natural features around my area have been covered so I look for something as a hide that is out of the ordinary types or a variation on a theme, or something altogether different for this area.

What is your favorite type of cache hide?

I like things that you have to manipulated, like the I.C. series in Cabot. I really like something that takes you on a journey, either through hiking with my feet, solving something with my brain or fiddling with something with my hands.

Out of all your hides, what are your personal favorites that you take pride in?
    While I really like my bird house themed geocaches, my favorite is actually Oliver's Twist, GC5KMRZ, that has only been found by two different groups of cachers since it was placed. I consider a very easy multi that is fun for kids and families. It will require something of a hike so it doesn't get very much traffic. But my dog (Oliver) still loves to go with me to check on it from time to time.

What do you think the proper hide to find ratio should be to keep the sport fresh?
    For me, it's been more of a shuffling between finding and hiding. If one starts to slow down, I shift interest to the other side and that sort of fires me back up.

How did you end up getting into this wacky hobby?

Only through sheer dumb luck at Pretzel's Playhouse, and combined years later with wacky friends who still are introducing new people to the sport in our area.

What's your favorite geocache?
    That's a tough one. There was a virtual in Colorado that had my family taking a picture of ourselves next to bronze donkeys in Cripple Creek but I would say that getting Batters Up GC134V5 was one tough cookie and will always rank in my top three.

If money was no object, where would you like to go geocaching?
    Planet Earth...all of it.

Do you like geocaching by yourself or in a group?
    I really enjoy getting away by myself and recharging. However, even this introvert enjoys a good run with a crowd.

How many First to Finds do you have?
    I have 21 FTFs even though my stats say 20. The 21st was by a college student in town that really did a great job of bringing new styles into our area.

Are you a First to Find person who is always set on go and if so, how many miles out do you have your settings on to get notifications?
    With angel06 soaking up most of the FTFs up that way and Little Rock being very adequately covered, I do take anything nearer to home base pretty seriously although my notification range is the 30 mile radius. I didn't realize at first that I needed to set notifications on each different geocache type until I got skunked on a few but that was quickly remedied.

Do you have any other hobbies besides geocaching?
    Wait, geocaching is considered ONLY a hobby???

Last edited by MathSeeker; 11-01-2015 at 04:12 PM.
    One cache at a time!

I remember when you started making your presence know in Searcy by placing your first cache. Who is this "Bondebond" guy and why is he placing caches in Searcy because I just got it cleaned out? LOL. That's a good thing though. Well, your first cache wasn't your standard park and grab so I remember thinking "his caches ain't gonna be easy". That has pretty much proved to be right. I think the first time we officially met was at your cache "Don't Tread On Me". I remember introducing you to my family.

We also put together a very successful puzzle class which has increased the number of hits on my puzzle so I appreciate the initiative on getting that going. Good to know you Mr. Bond