Thread: October 2015 Geocacher Profile

October 2015 Geocacher Profile

The Membership Relations Committee is happy to showcase some ArkGeo Geocachers through the "Geocacher Profile". The committee thought EuGene Smith aka bUTCH46 should be the next cacher to be in the spotlight.

What is your geocaching name? bUTCH46

How did you choose your handle?
    Butch is my nickname and 46 my birth year, then I decided on the reverse capitalization just to be different.

How long have you been geocaching? Since 30 June 2014

How did you find your first Geocache, and which one was it? While on a family vacation I overheard my brother-in-law and nephew making plans to do some caching and asked them to show me about this geocaching thing. They agreed, but I would have to find the first cache (which they would choose for me). Well, I plodded back and forth over 1/4 mile of dry sand on a 6 stage letterbox, "Waikiki Wildlife" (GC300T6) . . . lived through it and became a caching masochist!

Who usually goes with you when you go caching?
    I guess I have cached the most with Coon&bud, KSDS97, Summitlady, and Angel06

How long will you work on puzzle caches before you give up?
    I don't consider myself to be the brightest bulb in the box, and after about 30 seconds of having it proven to me by most of those tough puzzles, I throw in the towel.

What town/areas have you most enjoyed caching in? I guess in parks and on trails, as this old body needs the exercise and I feel great once the soreness subsides.

Do you do paperless caching? Rarely. I generally cache by coordinates.

What kind of geocaching rig do you use? Normally a Garmin E-Trex Vista, and occasionally a Garmin Oregon 450 or 600.

Why would you recommend anyone else to take up geocaching?
    It's fun, challenging, good for exercise, and you meet many nice and fun people

Where are you originally from?
    Born in Fayetteville, raised hither, thither, and yon - Arkansas, Virginia, Maine, & Maryland.

In what states have you geocached?
    AL, AR, GA, HI, IL, IN, KY, LA, MS, MO, NC, OH, OK, SC, TN, TX, VA, & WV

What was your first event ever attended?
    July 2014 C.A.G.E. Meet & Greet (24 July 2014)

How many caches have you found? 1,743

Which type of cache container do you prefer over the rest? Baby Coke bottle and bison tube.

What was the most famous cache that you have found? Hmmm? Don't know that I have found any "famous" caches.

Do you use disposable batteries or rechargeable batteries? Both

Do you enjoy hiding or finding more as your part of the hobby? Finding

Do you have a personal goal in mind when you make a hide?
    Usually I try to have a small challenge to the find, but I may on occasion employ a little bit of "evil" in my hides.

What is your favorite type of cache hide? One that poses a bit of challenge to find but with a minimum of DNF's

Out of all your hides, what are your personal favorites that you take pride in? Still Curvy, Where's Skelly, and Quality Drive North Spur

What do you think the proper hide to find ratio should be to keep the sport fresh? I don't think of a ratio per se, rather I think it best to not hide more than you can reasonably maintain.

How did you end up getting into this wacky hobby? I overheard family members talking about caching and asked to go along (see the 4th question).

What's your favorite geocache? Urban Cammo (It was in Clinton, but recently stolen)

If money was no object, where would you like to go geocaching? The Pacific NW and New England.

Do you like geocaching by yourself or in a group? I prefer the company of 1-3 other cachers

How many First to Finds do you have? Best I can recall I have less than 10 FTF's

Are you a First to Find person who is always set on go and if so, how many miles out do you have your settings on to get notifications? I actually don't think much about FTF's, although I jumped at a few early on then lost interest in going after them. I have no clue what my notification settings are.

Do you have any other hobbies besides geocaching? Older motor scooters, Genealogy, watching DVDs of Operas, Ballets, Musicals, and cartoons.
    One cache at a time!

I'm working to replace Urban cammo! Was hoping I'd stumble across the original container, but no such luck.
    Im a geo -junkie and i need my fix!

Eugene,
    You have one of the best attitudes out there. It's a pleasure to be around you.