The Membership Relations Committee is happy to showcase some ArkGeo Geocachers through the "Geocacher Profile". The committee thought Chris Rasmussen aka Razz007 should be the next cacher to be in the spotlight.

What is your geocaching name?

Razz007

How did you choose your handle?
The name sort of chose me many, many years ago. Rasmussen is a difficult name to say, so my friends just started calling me “Razz” and it stuck. I added the “007” part primarily because “Razz” was already taken, but also because I’m a huge James Bond fan. Geocaching sort of seemed like a spy game to me since you have to hide from muggles, so I thought it was a good match!

How long have you been geocaching?
I’ve been caching since 08/28/10

How did you find your first Geocache, and which one was it?
The first cache I found was LCCC – Mt. Pleasant owned by MathSeeker. I had downloaded the free Geocaching app and it said that there was a “cache” up the road. I had no idea what this was all about so I headed out to check it out. Sure enough, there was a container there and the rest is history!

Who usually goes with you when you go caching?
I started caching with DaTexanBoy before he retired due to health reasons. I then joined up with KSDS97 (then Paladinds1961) and TheFab5WillisClan for regular outings and later on with Floaten. However, almost always in tow is my main man, the infamous Mini-Razz. My son has logged many miles with me and is a great companion. The small hands have helped out more times than I can count to get those hard to reach caches!

How long will you work on puzzle caches before you give up?
Oh wow! I can’t even begin to log the amount of time I’ve spent working on a particularly pesky puzzle. My O.C.D. and A.D.D. are often at odds. I will work some puzzles to death until they’re solved, or I will work on it on and off for days or weeks at a time.

What town/areas have you most enjoyed caching in?
Searcy and Jacksonville had some great caches when I first started out. There was such a wide variety of hides and containers that really made it worth it! I also enjoyed visiting the various Arkansas State Parks. I don’t think I would have taken the time to visit all 52 of them had it not been for caching.

Do you do paperless caching?
Yep. I came into the game at a time when the technology had evolved to the point where downloading GPX files to your GPSr or using your smartphone were the preferred caching method.

What kind of geocaching rig do you use?
I use a Garmin Dakota 20 and my iPhone 6.

Why would you recommend anyone else to take up geocaching?
Since I’ve been geocaching, I have been to places and seen things that I would not have otherwise. People can go a lifetime being active and doing outdoor things, but I don’t think many really “see” their surroundings. Caching is not just good for getting out to exercise, but it is educational, entertaining, and takes you to beautiful locations.

Where are you originally from?
Conway, AR

In what states have you geocached?
I just picked up California a few weeks ago, which brought me up to 19 states to date. Others include, AR, TN, LA, MS, MO, IA, OK, PA, NV, NH, ID, MI, AL, KS, IL, IN, NY, and TX.

What was your first event ever attended?
My first event was The Arkansas 10,000 Club Woodwalker9.

How many caches have you found?

Which type of cache container do you prefer over the rest?
A good ol’ traditional ammo can, off course!

What was the most famous cache that you have found?
As far as local caches go, I have to say GC1B - Gorilla Stash. Outside of the state, I think GCB0EB – Toga Party in Las Vegas was pretty popular.

Do you use disposable batteries or rechargeable batteries?
Rechargeables.

Do you enjoy hiding or finding more as your part of the hobby?
I enjoy both equally well.

Do you have a personal goal in mind when you make a hide?
Keep them fun and maintainable.

What is your favorite type of cache hide?
I like themed and creative hides where the CO puts in the effort to make it unique and personal. You know when you’ve found such a cache because it puts a smile on your face when you find it.

Out of all your hides, what are your personal favorites that you take pride in?

I think my Traditional Ammo Can cache is my favorite to date. It’s not because it is particularly difficult, but I do get a kick out of reading the logs about how misdirected people get while looking for it. J

What do you think the proper hide to find ratio should be to keep the sport fresh?
This is a difficult question to answer directly. I agree with others when they say it should be whatever a person can maintain. I also agree that should have a reasonable amount of finds before your first hide. What I also think keeps the sport fresh is a good rotation between old and new caches. This gives the new cachers a chance to hide something in their area and share their story, and it gives veteran cachers a chance to find a new cache without having to drive miles out for a FTF.

How did you end up getting into this wacky hobby?
I was issued a new company phone for work a few years back and the first thing I did was to start downloading every app that I could find. One of those apps just happened to be the free geocaching app. I read the description and thought, surely there aren’t people hiding these ”caches” around everywhere. I took a chance on it and it said there was several just up the road from my house? I was skeptical at first, so I drove to the closest location and started looking around. Sure enough, I found the container and the swag hidden within. Wow! That was pretty neat. So I headed to the next one. Found it too! After I exceeded the number of finds the free app allowed, I went ahead and bought the official app and not long after that, my first GPS. The rest was history!

What's your favorite geocache?
GC204M4 - Lafarge Quarry Concretions. This is an Earthcache in Michigan, located at place that has a personal meaning for me. My log will explain more.

If money was no object, where would you like to go geocaching?
I’ve never been too interested in going out of the country, so I would like to concentrate my caching efforts in the good US of A with a big RV.

Do you like geocaching by yourself or in a group?
It depends on the situation and the types of caches I’m going for that day. However, I would say that my preference is to go with a partner or group.

How many First to Finds do you have?
63 and counting!

Are you a First to Find person who is always set on go and if so, how many miles out do you have your settings on to get notifications?
Yes. Yes I am! I love the smell of FTFs in the morning and have my notification set to a 40 mile radius to maximize my chances.

Do you have any other hobbies besides geocaching?
I’ve been a Transformer fan since I was a kid and have amassed quite a collection over the years. I also like woodworking whenever the opportunity arises.